Author Topic: Do people take this game too seriously  (Read 5722 times)

Offline warband_ruined_my_life

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Do people take this game too seriously
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:38:19 pm »
Seriously i feel people take this game far too seriously.
All this serious stuff of joining a reg and going on teamspeak and listening to instructions etc is silly, its just a video game and i feel admins and people take this game way too seriously.
Or when admins say a person trolling is `ruining enjoyment for others` so that gives a reason to kick/ban the person.  I mean come on, if you really feel that strongly and take it so seriously that you feel it warrants a ban you need a reality check.

Case in point i just spawned on 33rd server as attacker playingh a flute, a guy walked up to me shot me in face and bayonetted me til i died, did i cry for admin help did i moan about it, nope i smiled and said ah its just a game, and respawned.
However had an admin seen it, i twould have been a perm ban for the guy, i mean honestly you people take this game way too seriously
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:41:53 pm by warband_ruined_my_life »

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
  • Overlord of the 00th Regiment, Time and Space.
    • View Profile
    • www.PlanetThundersnow.com
Re: Do people take this game too seriously
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:46:59 pm »
Case in point i just spawned on 33rd server as attacker playingh a flute, a guy walked up to me shot me in face and bayonetted me til i died, did i cry for admin help did i moan about it, nope i smiled and said ah its just a game, and respawned.
However had an admin seen it, i twould have been a perm ban for the guy, i mean honestly you people take this game way too seriously

Fair enough.

So how many rounds in a row would this guy have to bayonet you and other teamates in the face before you to start to ask for some sort of referee to be put in place on the server so as to keep this type of homicidal behavior in check?

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:17 pm »
No i agree if somebody is a gross serial offender when it comes to that, yes they deserve ban, but the majority of things i see like temp ban for too many  recruit messages or a perm ban to some guy who blocked spawn, really? do they  really warrant such heavy punishments, its a video game not the gestapo here

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:19 pm »
Well, at least on the US/EU Official NW servers, temp bans and warnings are more the norm then a perma-ban by far.

However, you have to see it from the perspective of the owner of the server.

They pay for a server, and would rather not have someone who is a troll be on that server, because if the owner isn't on to ban the troll, then the troll will usually continue to misbehave. 

While You might not have a problem with some crazed player whose soul existence is to make sure YOU don't have fun, I would say the majority of people would eventually just leave and jump into another server where they've already banned that guy, or use harsh punishment to ward off such behavior.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:59:01 pm »
I kind of agree with you. There are too many rules, especially on the official servers, that prevent people from actually spending time with friends and having fun. There are words that many people use, that they don't mean in the context that the admins think. Example? Sure.

Player gets into a bayonet fight, lag happens, he misses the block.
Player: Oh, come on. That's so gay.
Admin perma-bans him for the use of a "homophobic" (Which is not real, it's homosexual) slur.
Admin: Do not use homophobic slurs on our server. Thanks.

Obviously, the use of the word "gay" was not meant in context that Player meant. And, furthermore... most of these admins just ban, ban, and ban without giving warnings. They expect everyone to go to a forum that most people don't even know exists and read the 100+ rules for these servers that are incredibly strict.

I usually don't mind teamkills, it's just a game. However, the only time i start asking for an admin is when someone consistently teamkills me, persistently calls me derogatory terms (again, I don't mind them ever here and there), trolls and griefs (don't mind it too much), etc.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:47 pm »
While I will admit some admins do need to calm down a bit, NW admins aren't nearly as bad as admins in other games.

For instance, I used to be part of a clan that played Battlefield 3. I got banned one time for using a bipod and sniping from one end of Tehran Highway to the other side (The part with the 3rd MCOM set). "Camping"

Also I'd just like to say this real fast, words mean something when you make them mean something. If someone says a racial slur, I'll bet you $10 he just wants you to flip. I've heard people laugh all the time how they get banned from servers for trolling, it's like trophies for them.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:06:36 pm »
Yeah but if you don't nip word-play in the proverbial bud, trolls will always just dance over the line.

"Dude I was just calling him a bundle of sticks!"

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:09:16 pm by Thundersnow »

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:12:30 pm »
I kind of agree with you. There are too many rules, especially on the official servers, that prevent people from actually spending time with friends and having fun. There are words that many people use, that they don't mean in the context that the admins think. Example? Sure.

Admin perma-bans him for the use of a "homophobic" (Which is not real, it's homosexual) slur.

Obviously, the use of the word "gay" was not meant in context that Player meant. And, furthermore... most of these admins just ban, ban, and ban without giving warnings. They expect everyone to go to a forum that most people don't even know exists and read the 100+ rules for these servers that are incredibly strict.

I usually don't mind teamkills, it's just a game. However, the only time i start asking for an admin is when someone consistently teamkills me, persistently calls me derogatory terms (again, I don't mind them ever here and there), trolls and griefs (don't mind it too much), etc.

Could not have said it better myself
And the modern day answer of `its our server like it or lump it` doesnt cut the mustard

a/ the server relies on players if they said to to everyone theyd have no server
b/ somtimes theres only one server with a decent amount of players, so making out that a player has a shit load of other options and servers to go to, is more often than that simply not true
c/ also i notice that on warband there was never this much admin font typing on the server, now every three seconds one of the 400 admins is sayign `dont breath/ dont recruit dont do this dont do that`, it really makes you feel sometimes that if you are doing anything apart from running at the enemy with the sole intent of killing them, you could be liable for trolling and a ban
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:15:45 pm by warband_ruined_my_life »

Offline The Nutty Pig

• Donator
  • It wasn't easy being cheesy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:16:33 pm »
Instead of just criticizing the current system, you might do something like propose a knew way of dealing with trolls

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 11:18:50 pm »

I agree with you.  Freedom of expression in official servers is nonexistent and the stupidest thing is that "gay" isn't even a slur like "faggot" is.

Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted in 1948, states that:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

The most ironic thing is that all of the official servers are hosted in nations which allow and defend the freedom speech.

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 11:27:42 pm »
also i can not begin to even say how many times ive seen two friends on the same side having a harmless fist fight and being slayed or even temp banned for it.

its not time to allow trolling, but time for this stupid petty and trigger happy admining style to stop

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 12:04:10 am »
Official server admins are no longer allowed to perma-ban from within the server itself, all permanent bans on official servers are oasued through logbans instead (and have been for some months now ). As far as private servers go, if people are paying to maintain a server then.why shouldn't they have the right to punish for whatever the hell they want? Your complaints about excessive punishment are like a wealthy man going to eat at a charity soup kitchen and Then complaining that there's too much salt in the food - you may not like we'll regulated servers, but many people obviously do or they wouldn't play on them.  If someone is shouldering the expense of running a server then they have brought to see it managed as they see fit.

Von Bismarck, as far as free speech goes you are quoting a document written well before the advent of the internet, and one that does not apply in this case anyway. No-one is stopping you from hosting your own server where you can.swear and express your "views", but no server host is under any obligation whatsoever to allow you to do so in their privately hosted server, much in.the same way that a newspaper is under no obligation to print an article containing objectionable material. You have NO rights to free speech on the internet, and anyone that has informed you otherwise will have been sadly mistaken.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 12:09:23 am »
If you want to know an example of people who take this game too seriously, look at regiments...

The reason they do it?

ITS FUN!

You may not enjoy it but we do and are willing to dedicate time to it.
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline Neon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 12:16:38 am »
Banning people can sometimes be too far.

But on one occasion a person was insulting players who killed him especially cavalry. He insulted me as an admin as well. I took the chance to temp ban his ass before he annoyed and whined any further to people who kills him. So :)

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 12:35:03 am »
If you don't like the server, whatever server it is, go somewhere else.  Tons of servers out there.

It's the way of the world. 
  • Don't like the Big Mac?  Go next door and get a Whopper. 
  • No Burger King next door?  Go create your own burger restaurant.
  • Don't feel like going through all the hassle to make your own burger restaurant?  Then sit there and eat your Big Mac and stop telling the owner that they make a shitty burger.