Author Topic: Online Historical Reenactment Society(OHRS) Essay 1, Proposal  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Online Historical Reenactment Society(OHRS) Essay 1, Proposal
« on: December 20, 2012, 03:35:52 am »
Introduction:

The OHRS will strive to establish an internet asylum for those interested in history enough to see a need to reenact it. It will use the modification for Mount and Blade Warband, Napoleonic Wars; North and South. The goal of the society is to provide a greater meaning and purpose for the playing of line battles. The incredible development, of said mod by Hinkel, will allow us to create a more realistic and attractive combat setting for reactors to engage in their favorite Civil War battles.

This society will provide, for those whom are interested, a cheap, convenient, and competitive alternative to physical civil war reenacting, perhaps for those who don't have the means to or are seeking something unique, that will hopefully revolutionize what it means to play a video game and what it means to reenact history in a century where new opportunities are available to us.

In further volumes i hope to go into more depth on the exact structure of the society and what immediate goals it will seek to accomplish. This introduction was simply a crude introduction to the idea of this sort of activity, please comment and express your opinions and/ or suggestions as well as interest bellow.

Structure:

The society will contain an indefinite amount of regiments who will participate in the the battle events of the OHRS. The acquisition of new regiments will always be a priority.

As for regimental structure; regiments should deviate from their current configurations in the following ways: Larger size (closer to a realistic magnitudes), the formation of companies (lead by captains), that accurate roles and meanings of promotions and ranks are upheld, and accurate tactics are drilled by the regiment to simulate history as closely as possible (look to next section). 

The social conduct as well as in combat conduct of the OHRS will be outstanding. All members will mutually agree to represent the society as  respectfully and maturely as possible. Those who deviate from this will risk expulsion.

The OHRS will host a server that would host weekly events for those within the community. The rules pertaining to these events are adapting constantly, but for now remain as follows:

Rules of the Standard Event Format:

-Admins will be respected as containing absolute authority over any in-game rules
-Regimental 1st in commands are responsible for the conduct of their regiment at all times
-Any regiment who is in the OHRS who has signed up for a particular event will report to myself whenever their respective regiments cannot attend

Infantry Rules:

-An infantry regiment will deploy itself and any sub-infantry unit above or equal to the magnitude of 8 men in double ranks, both on the march and when deployed in "line of battle"
-All infantry regiments must contain an initial number equal to or exceeding 12 men
- Whenever an infantry regiment is not under fire, on the charge, on an purposeful quick advance, or retreating, the unit must move at a walking pace, as human beings cannot run for 2 hours straight and be expected to fight afterwards, so we will respect realism in this circumstance
-Each unit must maintain a ratio of officers- enlisted of approx. 1/7 (few exceptions will be made)
-Each unit must choose to use either an musician classed soldier and/or flag bearer during each round of an event. only one is necessary per line
-Each regiment must fight shoulder to shoulder in tightened ranks, unless visible and obvious cover is available to the unit, in which case minor light infantry deployments will be allowed

Cavalry Rules:

-All units must maintain a dense formation when moving and stationary
-Firing from horseback is indeed permitted, however the horses must be stationary when firing, otherwise dismounting is an acceptable alternative for the more effective use of firearms (only officer pistols are an exception to this rule)
-Each unit must contain a minimum of 8 men
-one bugler per unit is required

Artillery Rules:

-All cannons must be manned by a minimum of 2 men
-All artillery units must have a minimum of 5 men

Event schedules will be posted here and in the OHRS's steam group, once substantial membership is established and such matters have been firmly decided on.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:13:55 am by Miller »

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: Online Historical Reenactment Society(OHRS) Essay 1, Proposal
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:15 am »
~Reserved

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:05 am »
nice

Offline SneakKing

• Corporal
  • Former Commander of 15tesGrz
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SneakKing
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 03:34:30 pm »
Sounds cool. I wonder how many larger regiments would sign on to this.

Offline Thor

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 91st_Rec_Neil_Smith
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 07:15:15 pm »
Sounds like a brilliant idea!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:35:50 pm »
Interesting idea. How are you planning on organizing the regimental system? I mean, will regiments be encouraged to form together? How will the rank system differ from NaS?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:41:52 pm by Duuring »

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 10:10:05 pm »
Interesting idea. How are you planning on organizing the regimental system? I mean, will regiments be encouraged to form together? How will the rank system differ from NaS?

The regimental interior must resemble, as closely as possible, history and the actual ranks, etc.
I would hope with all of my heart that bigger regiments are composed, with more people working together in this community. This community suffers from sectionalism and is too easily divided down into 7 man regiments who in no way resemble historical units, ive seen that sort of thing happen to many times. What we need is fewer regiments, and larger regiments. the only way to negate the destruction of units due to arguments and difference of opinion, is to make sure the "system" is organized properly and run by competent people, this will be provided in the OHRS as one of its primary goals.

Thanks for the support everyone so far. I will now ask that perhaps regimental leaders who see this sort of thing as the way of the future, pm me and we can perhaps begin discussion/ organization of maybe only 1 weekly event for right now, that will uphold the previously discussed rules. Any and all criticisms continue to be invited and appreciated, if they are respectable of course. 

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »
I'm not THAT involved in NaS, but I would love to help with this project.

a follow-up question: How big would the regiments become?

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 05:35:24 pm »
regiments should seek the general magnitude of 80-120 men, where as many as possible are active players (inactives are filtered out).  It would take some major unification of the community, where i imagine perhaps a 25-30 man regiment could enter a "proper sized" regiment as a company, so that they may fight together and among friends and acquaintances. The only way this would pose a problem is with sectionalism within the ranks, meaning perhaps a company or battalion's loyalty is in the wrong place. the only reason this would occur and succeed to harm regimental sovereignty is if the commanding officers of the regiment failed to recognize when the wrong people were in charge of subsections of the regiment. And for that i will write my next paper on a secondary proposal "The Officer Corps". Anyone would be able to come to a 2 month long (plus or minus) training session on officership and the commanding of men in a historically accurate fashion. This way we do not have inexperienced and immature players in command, and the threat of inter-regimental dispute minimized sufficiently, as i see it. 

I am looking for assistance with this. It should be obvious at this point that i am trying to change the very nature of line battles, and to do this successfully i will need the support of the existing community. Please add Colonel Miller [9thct/1stig] on steam so perhaps we can talk more easily, and thanks for the support  ;)   

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 03:12:31 am »
This has been tried, and failed, many times.

People are simply too conceited to give up their 'command', even if it's to better the community or their regiment. And then you've got the regiment members who will loath being under a new commander who tries to do something new, regardless of what the person might say or do. And even if you get past all of that, you've got the idiots who wouldn't be able to let go of their rank, and those who wouldn't want to do anything different, despite how messed up it may be.

All-in-all, this community is too immature for this to happen yet. I tried something akin to this around a month ago, and it fell apart almost immediately because of a commanding officer who wouldn't work with me.

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 05:28:55 am »
thats why the participation in such an organization would be voluntary. If you want to keep your 7 man sub-platoon configuraion in the Civil War then be my guest  :P

But people who want to have a meaningful rank in a meaningful community will hopefully see things my way, and abide by realism more.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 08:35:13 am »
The problem is that, even if everyone agrees to it, eventually someone's going to get upset. Then you're going to have a former 'regiment' leader withdrawing any people he may have to keep his friends from leaving, and suddenly the organization's down 8, 10, 15, or 20 people.

And saying it's 'your way' is highly insulting to anyone who's tried this before, including myself.

I'm all for realism in the regimental system. However, I also know that people, as a whole, are fickle and indecisive, and cannot remain fixed upon something for more than a week, and will end up causing more conflict than it's worth.

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »
I understand your concern, and recognize your argument, however id feel regret if i did not at least attempt to better the community in this way. I think if people understand and respect our intentions enough we should be fine. How do real reenactment programs differ from this. Not everyone is a colonel in actual reenacting, but people still enjoy it.