Author Topic: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod  (Read 144874 times)

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2018, 10:28:34 pm »
Thank you, but this would be very greedy and unfair of me :)
This is a modification for a game, and also which differs not so much from original game, so I can't sell it as a standalone game.
But I'm thinking about making a standalone game about the Crimean war, after I'll release this mod, since there is no games about that war. These are just thoughts for now, I must decide, which engine to use and maybe find someone who will help me, at least with the scripts.
But at first I must finish this mod and we'll see, is this theme interesting for players :)

Unreal or unity engine best

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2018, 10:30:54 pm »
That is one interesting question :)
I thought about something like this, because indeed I've spent a lot of time, making this mod, but since it is a mod for the game, I can't sell it (I guess) and even if I could, I won't sell it, because so there will be much fewer players. But I'm thinking about posting my credit card number for those, who will like mod and who will have a desire to express their appreciation in currency :) Anyway, I think it will be appropriate only after I will release the mod :)
I was thinking in terms of getting the word out with YouTube videos and creators to get more exposure and downloads/players. Maybe try to contact someone like Pixelated Apollo when it's near release
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Ukima

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Nick: 32nd_Sjt_Ukima
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »
That is one interesting question :)
I thought about something like this, because indeed I've spent a lot of time, making this mod, but since it is a mod for the game, I can't sell it (I guess) and even if I could, I won't sell it, because so there will be much fewer players. But I'm thinking about posting my credit card number for those, who will like mod and who will have a desire to express their appreciation in currency :) Anyway, I think it will be appropriate only after I will release the mod :)

I would definitely donate to you. You've put so much work and efford in it already. It requires at least sone recognition!
What uniforms of this war are your favorite?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2018, 02:58:37 pm »
Thank you all for answers :)

What uniforms of this war are your favorite?

In general, the most practical uniform of that time was French uniform, after ending of the Crimean war many countries copied it's elements. The most good-looking uniform (but mostly impractical), in my opinion, had the British. But I like the most Russian uniform, especially modified during the war - after the Alma battle Russian army (like Allied armies did too) abandoned uncomfortable and impractical leather helmets and used soft forage caps instead (with white cloth covers in the summer), the whole Russian army wore thick grey greatcoats, so it was very difficult to Allied sharpshooters to identify officers. In particular I like the uniform of the Black-Sea Plastuns (foot cossacks, who were excellent sharpshooters and scouts), they wore Caucasian-style clothes, very similar to later cossacks uniform.
I took part in a number of Crimean war reenactments in plastun uniform, maybe that's why I like it the most :)

This is a drawing of plastuns, made in Sevastopol in 1855

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:04:52 pm by Ivkolya »

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 01, 2018, 01:30:54 am »
Since I've mostly finished Russian fortifictions on the Malakoff, I started work on Allied trenches. Now they look like this

I can't decide yet, how to make parapets of trenches:
1) I can make an indestructible parapet for the whole trench, so it will look like more natural (as it is on this picture on the left, at the head of the trench)
2) Or I can divide parapet in destructible parts, but so there will be visible borders of each part (each part is built as a separate part, so it will look like natural earthpile if parts next to it will be destroyed)
3) (For now I think I'll do so) Or I can make destructible head of the trench and other parts of the trench will be indestructible.

It would be interesting to hear your opinions, maybe these visible borders are not that visible as I think :)

Offline thepenguin

• Sergeant Major
  • Voor God en Vaderland!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jan_Pieterszoon_Coen
« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2018, 11:43:35 am »
I'd say 3, as that is probably easier for you aswell, if you start on it, good luck.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2018, 02:08:04 pm »
I will try different variants, maybe I'll make only part of head of the trench destructible, but Russians definately must have chance to damage Allied earthworks (especially since all Russian front fortificantions will be destructible.

Offline Ukima

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #367 on: April 11, 2018, 02:19:06 pm »
Hey,
Will you be making a moddb-page now? It would be a lot easier to keep track of progress :)
How did you organize your factions now by the way? Did you make 1 faction each or did you just make a Russians versus Allies faction? Are the Bersaglieri or the entire kingdom of Piedmont Sardigna going to be in it?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 11, 2018, 10:26:01 pm »
Hello, Ukima, I will make page of my mod on moddb after I release first version of mod, which will include most of planned units and weapons and at least couple of maps. I want these maps to be map of the Alma battle and map of last assault on the Malakoff - in other words, maps of the first and the last battle of the Crimean campaign. Map of assault on the Malakoff is ca. 80% completed, I finished in general Russian fortifications and nearly finished Allied trenches, and uniforms I need for the first version of mod are also almost finished. Unfortunatelly, I have almost no free time now and so will be at least to the end of month, I think. So progress now goes very slowly, but I try to work on mod every day.
As for factions - for now I've made separate factions for each nation, but I will think about factions later.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm working on now :) This is early variant, but it gives an idea about view on Malakoff from third line of French trenches in game.

P.S. By the way, can someone advise me on where can I post my screenshots so they will be still visible after time? I posted it on private Facebook album, there they are fine, but here on the forum some of them disappeared :(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:35:18 pm by Ivkolya »

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 12, 2018, 12:24:58 am »

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2018, 07:28:32 am »
I started to use gyazo.com since somebody told me he can't see my screenshots on imgur for some reason. It seems everybody can see gyazo pictures and they don't seem to disappear

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 12, 2018, 07:47:30 am »
Thanks!

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 05, 2018, 03:19:45 pm »
Russian sortie in French trenches before Malakoff

I'm still working on trenches, soon they will be ready, I hope :)

Offline Ukima

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #373 on: May 13, 2018, 05:23:15 pm »
Looks nice! Are there also going to be more open battlefields? It seems to be all redoubts and trenches now :p

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 14, 2018, 02:46:08 pm »
My goal is to make both historical accurate and playable mod, so for first release there will be two maps - of the first battle and of the last battle in the Crimean campaign of the Eastern war, i.e. battle of Alma river (September 1854) and the last assault on the Malakoff (September 1855). Alma battle map will be open battlefield and assault on the Malakoff map will be trench warfare, but also with enough open space.
Now I'm finishing work on the "assault on Malakoff" map. I already made most scene props and placed them on the scene and mostly finished terrain, so I need just make LODs for scene props and also I need top figure out how to make new scene props destructible (some of them I already made destructible, my main goal now is to make new walls to be destructible as well).
Later I'll add more maps, some of them will be open battlefields.

And also I've started work on weapons, yesterday I've made Russian percussion musket and rifle (Belgian copy of the Brunswick rifle) with bayonet