Poll

Union or Confederacy

Union
Confederacy
Neither
Great Britain! Subdue the rebellious Colony!

Author Topic: Union Or Confederacy?  (Read 73947 times)

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Union Or Confederacy?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 10:52:26 pm »
Confederacy. I live in Louisiana, after all. ;)

Offline PrideofNi

• Major General
  • This is just a game, respect other people!
    • View Profile
    • K-KA HQ
  • Nick: PrideofNi
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:54 pm »
This whole "if you chose Confederacy you agree with slavery" is laughable. Even I know it had little/nothing to do with anything.

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 11:19:40 pm »
This whole "if you chose Confederacy you agree with slavery" is laughable. Even I know it had little/nothing to do with anything.
I thought it was sad more then funny.

Offline Hugues

• Sergeant
  • A gentleman never tells...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hugues
  • Side: Union
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:52 pm »
I didn't say that if he chooses to support it in this game that he agrees with slavery - he said he supported them in real life and thought that their cause/ideals were just. That argument has ended though and I'd rather it doesn't pick up again - it's too late for that :P
“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Paradox Demi-Moderator

Offline Cop

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cop
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 12:48:50 am »
I sympathize and support the Confederacy and what they fought for.
Spoiler
Which wasn't slavery.
[close]

They were for the preservation of state rights, and that's a freedom been taken away from us. The layers and layers of federal regulation that exist in the U.S. limit our opportunities severely. We have a large expanse of territory and conditions / opinions are different in every region (state). With more state rights, the economy could flow more freely based on its region and state regulation. The government is of the opinion that one remedy fixes all, and I'm here to tell that is not the case.

Political ranting aside, the Confederacy had the right reason to secede.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 02:31:24 am »
Provided the discussion stay within the rule boundaries, there's no reason to close the thread.

Essentially... Feel free to, ahem, "Discuss" 'til the cows come home... or 'til someone dun goofs, at which point the cyber police will be called in.

Enjoy your 'murican debate.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 02:35:32 am »
Well, once it gets to that point then we'll have a jolly old time warning people amidst much laughter, condescension and cigar smoke. Until then though, surely it'd be un-american to deny them their right to debate? ;)
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Cop

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cop
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 03:46:45 am »
Well, once it gets to that point then we'll have a jolly old time warning people amidst much laughter, condescension and cigar smoke. Until then though, surely it'd be un-american to deny them their right to debate? ;)
I like the way you think! :P

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 04:16:44 am »
Add a poll and lets see how many people support which faction ( not politically, just ingame)

Offline TheGeekful

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 07:17:42 am »
I think I will be much more of a  Union player.

Offline Hugues

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:04 pm »
Until then though, surely it'd be un-american to deny them their right to debate? ;)
God bless 'Murica!
― Thomas A. Edison

Paradox Demi-Moderator

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 01:33:50 pm »
The entire war was started because of slavery. The Union fought to abolish slavery and the Confederates fought to keep their slaves and to take other states to expand their 'slave empire'. Yes they fought for independence but only because the government would not allow them to keep slaves. So if you really support the Confederate ideology in real life then you support the idea of slavery.

Um.. so thats why Union generals like Grant and Sherman had slaves and they did not free them before 1865 right? Generals like Lee were against slavery and freed their slaves before the war.
Also: Lincolns reason for the war were never to abolish slavery, thats not true at all! Why did he free the slaves in the southern states (in 1863), but no word about the slavery in the union states like Maryland (Maryland supported the union AS a slave state). He did that proclamation, cause he was about the loose the election.

4 % of the southerners owned slaves! 265 soldiers (mostly officers) in the army of northern virginia owned slaves in 1863, all the other 76.000 soldiers did not have a single one!

So when you say, that someone is supporting the confederacy, he is for slavery, is not true and absolutly wrong!

BTW: I like the romans and play them in rome total war... so I am a supporter of slavery, cause the whole roman society was build on slavery, even more then the confederate states ? (which were about to abolish slavery in 1865, you can see the original law in richmond state house)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:36:19 pm by Hinkel »

Offline Hugues

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 01:38:29 pm »
The whole thing about playing a nation in a game means you support their ideals isn't what I said - I play as Romans, Axis Powers, the Mafia and all sorts of people in games but I don't support what they think. I never said that so...

I haven't researched the Civil War quite as in depth as you probably have due to your mod so I don't really now anything about the intricacies or statistics. It's just that everywhere I search about the Civil War it always said that the whole thing was fought over slavery.
― Thomas A. Edison

Paradox Demi-Moderator

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:35 pm »
The whole thing about playing a nation in a game means you support their ideals isn't what I said - I play as Romans, Axis Powers, the Mafia and all sorts of people in games but I don't support what they think. I never said that so...

I haven't researched the Civil War quite as in depth as you probably have due to your mod so I don't really now anything about the intricacies or statistics. It's just that everywhere I search about the Civil War it always said that the whole thing was fought over slavery.

Even in real-life, I would support the confedercy (and as a reenactor, I even have confederate uniforms). But I dont support slavery, like most of the confederate soldiers did not support it (or dont care about it).

When your sources speak about slavery as the main reason, they are no good references to take ;)
I just want to make clear, that the confederate army did not fight to keep slavery (if so, general lee would never lead the army) and many politicians thought, that slavery was not very modern.

There are so many real reasons, which started the war. But just naming slavery as the main cause, is wrong :)

Offline Fyzzaraya

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Lion
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sagamichi the Immortal
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 03:23:50 pm »
I support Confederacy,they fought against ignorant yankees for their independecy...and about slavery Hinkel said it all...