Author Topic: Your dream impression  (Read 17491 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Your dream impression
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 11:20:23 pm »
Spoiler
Spoiler
There is a 92nd Napoleonic reenactment group here in the Netherlands, so basically the 42nd but with yellow facings, collar and cuffs instead of blue.
I know, Duuring already tried to convince me some months back.

I wouldn't go and do a Highland regiment impression, most of the times (from what I've seen), they're not done well ranging from the uniforms to the musicians playing alongside them.

From what I've heard from Duuring that 92nd group is pretty much an exception to that rule.
Anyway, being a drummer for Highland infantry is just plain badass. If you know how to play the fucker, that is.

It takes years to perfect playing any instrument, so IF you'd like to play the drums you shouldn't do it merely for reenacting. As for the 92nd reenactment group I wouldn't know. Kilts / Jackets / Glengarry Bonnets and other accessories are very expensive (and thats for modern Highland clothing, if you'd want to do an impression of an early 19th century Highland infantryman you'd have to get it ALL custom made) and I'd be surprised if reenactors would use quality highland clothing. I don't mean to discourage you (after all I'm not a reenactor), but if you'd want to do a historically accurate impression you'd have to spend a good amount of money.
[close]

Well, same for archery, really, only it's a little less...
And playing snare drums? That's not that hard, I'd say a year to a year and a half to play it properly, not perfectly, but good enough.

Highland drumming is nothing like playing any other drum you might've heard before, it takes years and a great deal of time to play well within a pipe band (or with other pipers). Besides, to learn it you'd have to join a local pipe band, meaning you'd have to put alot of time/effort in to begin with. But if it's only for show and you don't actually play a lot of complicated music I guess it wouldn't matter much

The Scottish war tunes can indeed be extremely complicated, vut that's professional drill team tunes, there are plenty of easier ones, which still sound pretty good.

Easy once you get the basics down, which is hard. But if you're truly passionate and willing to learn the instrument with guidance from a teacher, it really is worth it. But I advice you not do it only if you want to play the 'simple stuff' and you're not 100% sure if you'd want to dedicate yourself to playing the instrument. I've seen a handful of people with the same attitude come and go in pipe bands. Anyway, thats a discussion for a different time and a different topic. Good luck with your impression if you do decide to do it :)
[close]
Hell no, costs too much time for my already crowded schedule.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:49 pm »
All it really takes to be a good Napoleonic reenactment drummer is to practice regularly, the minimum a drummer should be able to do is the step, you don't have to do all the songs until you at least get the basic drum beats down.

Offline Von_Clausewitz

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Clausewitz
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:14 pm »
Reenacting a highland infantry regiment is not really the same as preforming in a modern day Highland Pipe band.

If you want to give the public good, decent music you'd have to have had some proper tutoring in Highland drumming (which you can almost only get at pipe bands / or internet teachers but face to face tutoring is always better). I've heard and seen some people reenacting and playing music and 99% of the time it's just bad. Don't reenact pipers/drummers if you don't know how to / not willing to learn how to properly play the music is kind of what i'm going at to sum up the last 5-6 posts.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 09:15:13 pm »
Well, there's the impressions I'm working on right now:

WWI 1916-1918 German Württemberg Stosstrupp
Spoiler
[close]
WWII 1940 German Heer Infantry
Spoiler
[close]
WWII 1942 German Heer Pionier (Sapper)
Spoiler
[close]
WWII 1943-44 German Heer Infantry
Spoiler
1 & 3
[close]
WWII 1944-45 German Heer Volksgrenadier
Spoiler
[close]
WWII German Heer Infantry Staff Officer
Spoiler
Center
[close]
ACW Early War Confederate Virginia Volunteer Infantry
ACW Confederate Tennessee Light Artillery

Then there are the ones I'm going to be working on next:

WWI 1914-1915 German Württemberg Infantry
Spoiler
[close]
WWII German DAK Infantry
Spoiler
[close]
Vietnam Late War US Marine Infantry
Spoiler
[close]

Afterwards, there are ones I'd love to do:

Napoleonic French Infantry
Spoiler
[close]
WWI American Army Artillery
Spoiler
[close]
WWII Ukrainian 14.SS "Galizien" Infantry
Spoiler
[close]
Pre-WWII German Civilian
Pre-WWII German Heer Infantry
Spoiler
[close]
WWII German Kriegsmarine U-boot Matrosengefreiter
Spoiler
[close]
WWII 1944-45 German Heer POW
Spoiler
[close]
WWII 1944 American Army Infantry
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:08:22 pm by Landrik »
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 09:28:06 pm »
How are you going to manage all those impressions being a broke nigga? :o

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 10:39:13 pm »
How are you going to manage all those impressions being a broke nigga? :o

Duh, hes joining my oil buisness.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 11:52:26 pm »
 y u no let meh join dood :o

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 04:42:59 am »
we like to consider our buisness. A war-crime-free zone.

no Soviets or SS allowed. Keep out sub-humans.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 07:52:13 am »
But, I do Heer Sturmpionier now... Wtf, Fritz.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2014, 08:11:46 am »
But, I do Heer Sturmpionier now... Wtf, Fritz.

nein.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2014, 12:08:58 pm »
Updated the list.

Also, Deo... there are unlimited wants and limited resources. A man can dream.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2014, 05:56:41 pm »
oooooooo pictures.

I really do want to do a U-boat crewman impression.

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 02:03:36 am »
I'd blow every hobo from here to Hanoi to do a 1916 Poilu impression. Dat blue, dat Lebel/Berthier, dat 500ml Pinard ration, c'est magnifique!

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 01:09:59 am »
I kinda forgot about this.

Spoiler
Spoiler
There is a 92nd Napoleonic reenactment group here in the Netherlands, so basically the 42nd but with yellow facings, collar and cuffs instead of blue.

I wouldn't go and do a Highland regiment impression, most of the times (from what I've seen), they're not done well ranging from the uniforms to the musicians playing alongside them.

From what I've heard from Duuring that 92nd group is pretty much an exception to that rule.
Anyway, being a drummer for Highland infantry is just plain badass. If you know how to play the fucker, that is.

It takes years to perfect playing any instrument, so IF you'd like to play the drums you shouldn't do it merely for reenacting. As for the 92nd reenactment group I wouldn't know. Kilts / Jackets / Glengarry Bonnets and other accessories are very expensive (and thats for modern Highland clothing, if you'd want to do an impression of an early 19th century Highland infantryman you'd have to get it ALL custom made) and I'd be surprised if reenactors would use quality highland clothing. I don't mean to discourage you (after all I'm not a reenactor), but if you'd want to do a historically accurate impression you'd have to spend a good amount of money.
[close]

And playing snare drums? That's not that hard, I'd say a year to a year and a half to play it properly, not perfectly, but good enough.

Highland drumming is nothing like playing any other drum you might've heard before, it takes years and a great deal of time to play well within a pipe band (or with other pipers). Besides, to learn it you'd have to join a local pipe band, meaning you'd have to put alot of time/effort in to begin with. But if it's only for show and you don't actually play a lot of complicated music I guess it wouldn't matter much

The Scottish war tunes can indeed be extremely complicated, vut that's professional drill team tunes, there are plenty of easier ones, which still sound pretty good.

Easy once you get the basics down, which is hard. But if you're truly passionate and willing to learn the instrument with guidance from a teacher, it really is worth it. But I advice you not do it only if you want to play the 'simple stuff' and you're not 100% sure if you'd want to dedicate yourself to playing the instrument. I've seen a handful of people with the same attitude come and go in pipe bands. Anyway, thats a discussion for a different time and a different topic. Good luck with your impression if you do decide to do it :)
[close]

As a Napoleonic era drummer, I can tell you it's quite easy to get the hang of it. If you are dedicated, and practice, say, two or three times a week (at first), you'll be able to pull off simple marching beats in no time. It does take a while to learn and remember all the different orders and commands, but you'll figure them out eventually.

Little side note, my whole learning experience for drumming was self taught. I basically learnt to play with NW's drum beat files, playing them while walking in circles in my back yard. Hard at first, way easier after the first few months.

Offline Von_Clausewitz

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Clausewitz
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 09:25:31 pm »
I kinda forgot about this.

Spoiler
Spoiler

[close]

[close]

As a Napoleonic era drummer, I can tell you it's quite easy to get the hang of it. If you are dedicated, and practice, say, two or three times a week (at first), you'll be able to pull off simple marching beats in no time. It does take a while to learn and remember all the different orders and commands, but you'll figure them out eventually.

Little side note, my whole learning experience for drumming was self taught. I basically learnt to play with NW's drum beat files, playing them while walking in circles in my back yard. Hard at first, way easier after the first few months.

He was talking about the highland snare drums (if thats what he meant by reenacting as the 92nd) going together with the pipes, which you can't properly teach yourself. If it's the ''normal'' drum I suppose you're right