Author Topic: How to Improve Recruiting for Your Regiment  (Read 150941 times)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
How to Improve Recruiting for Your Regiment
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:52:46 pm »
A big thanks to Deofuta for originally making this thread over on Taleworlds. My task is just to bring this over here and to try and improve this thread however I can.

Hello everyone, this thread is my attempt at trying to give a simple aid into improving ones regiment for the purposes of recruitment. I will try to go from the more simple and easy to implement ways to more complex and longer reaching solutions. If you have a suggestion feel free to check in and if it's a good one I'll be happy to add it to the list.

At its heart regimental recruitment is a mix of factors. Nominally the composition of the regimental command, the composition of the regiment itself, and public presentation that is made. The first two factors are what I would consider 'bedrock' factors, they are the foundation of what the regiment is built on, and also the most difficult to change once it is established. Because of this I will focus on the third factor, public presentation, although I may approach some of the other two later on. This is something that is vary malleable;easy to change and fix if necessary. It is presentation that can separate the smaller regiments from the larger powerhouse regiments.

So, on to the list.

1. Recruiting in game.This is the easiest way to reach the largest number of new players possible. Keep in mind though that impressions are very important, and most often this will be the first one in terms of new players, if not other regiments. Do not spam recruit! It looks sloppy and desperate. Try and organize your members to come on together, play together, and do well together. This leads to leaving impressions on the public that will be favorable if they end up looking for a regiment to join. I personally enjoy waiting until one of my guys does particularly well, leaving benchmarks for them to hit and then adding a message that perhaps joining my regiment will get you the skills to do as well. The last Impression I want to leave here is that you need to make sure the image that you create is a positive one. This means being respectful to the other players. Do not bicker in chat, or extend game time  by sitting in the back and waiting for the round to whittle down. Be creative, lead an assault with a sword held high and spamming the war call all the way in. Being charismatic and enjoyable to play with can go a long way to improving recruitment.

2. The forum regimental thread. Essentially, it needs to be good. Our community is lucky to be very centralized when it comes to the regiments. Almost every regiment can be found to have a presence on this forum. Your own regimental thread will be a meeting place for regimental leaders, regimental members, and more importantly, players looking for a regiment. This will be the place you should be sending interesting parties to get them to enlist. It should look professional, like some serious effort was put into it, because people will look at that thread and make direct connotations to how the regiment is. The thread is sloppy? The regiment is probably sloppy as well.

3. Videos and other creative outlets. I also called it Propaganda, as it is fully intended to spin your regiment in a positive light. If you have someone with some video editing skills and a youtube account, go nuts! There are few assets for recruitment that are better than someone who is good at editing and willing to take on a fun project for his CO. Making enjoyable videos has spawned interest in the mod itself by the thousands. Look no further than the Reddit Brigade, one of the largest NW interest communities, which spawned after a popular video made by a group called the BAB ran around its site. There are several regiments who use videos in fantastic ways to encourage people who otherwise may never have heard of the game join up and enlist.

4.Recruitment Incentives. This method is better for a regiment that has manged to get a few solid members. Give awards for bringing in set increments of friends, 5 20 and 20 perhaps. A popular method used by some regiments is to award medals on their website, or perhaps even on their Taleworlds thread. However, I would strongly recommend against using recruitment as a way to advance in rank beyond enlisted. Giving an important position to someone should always be a matter of capability.

5. Creating and maintaining a regiment website. Although small regiments can get away with using only the taleworlds thread and the 22nd teamspeak, if you want to expand you absolutely need to improve your ability for communications and logistics. Keeping track of a medium to large regiment is work, and you need a place to focus that attention and communication. Regiment Websties offer a place to keep attendance, organize recruitment, prepare for events, issue medals, the list goes on. There are hosting companies that offer free services for groups like regiments, by far the most popular of which is enjin.com.

More to come in the future.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:09:58 am by Furrnox »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Improve Recruiting for Your Regiment
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:16:06 pm »
Reserved

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:17:03 pm »
Best of Luck ma friend

Offline Burakkuada

• First Lieutenant
  • Vince - Unban Tavington.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 17e_WookieeBurak
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:31:24 pm »
Instantly stickied #Jelly

Nice thread though :D

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 12:01:42 am »
Best of Luck ma friend
What does he exactly need luck for?

Offline groenewoldr

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NotFamous
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:41:57 am »
Nice guide, can't wait to see what'll come up in the future. ;)
I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want. But I will find you, and I will troll you.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:56:15 am »
Instantly stickied #Jelly

Nice thread though :D

it was from Deo of course it had to be stickied!

Offline Gojkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:23:52 am »
This is great, thanks a lot and good luck! :D

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 11:29:58 am »

Offline Jake

• Sergeant Major
  • Enjoy life because it could be over soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 06:08:58 pm »
Looks really good !  ;)

Offline Mathias

• Captain
  • 1st place 1v1 and a little more since I forgot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 05:16:50 am »
I tried and nothing much works for Ex: I get 17-0 on the scoreboard then do some recruitment message typing and lead a few charges and nothing much pops up besides that....

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 01:57:05 am »
I've been recruiting my ass off lately for the RNF but I still only have the 2 guys I started with.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 02:24:27 am »
New guys in most cases start of joining large established regiments. Sadly because of this most of the time new regiments do not grow up to become large aNd established.best way is to start with like 10 active guys and work from there.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline DrByeBYe

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I like to spam feints and get the Hate + Love
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sike!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 07:21:27 am »
Great Guide Furrnox. Coming from someone that has watched the 12e grow to a 100+ man NA regiment in one month, It came down to two things. One, willing to put in the time to recruit and two, recruiting in the right places at the right times. For the first 3 weeks of the 12e, I would hit 84e Siege or 33rd Siege server at 10 EST to 2 am. I have found that these servers are still heavily populated at these times and all the EU players would be asleep leaving the new NA players who have to play siege because they just saw a Malakith video on youtube. I have succeeded to get 10+ recruits in one night. Once we reached about 60 people, We were able to keep a populated TDM server for about a week. This allowed the 12e to become a regiment that averaged 25-30 regularly. Lets just say Na 1 is not the place to recruit.         

"That which does not kill me can only make me stronger. I don’t see why everybody feel as though that they gotta tell me how to live my life"
- Tupac

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 09:56:57 am »
Thanks for bringing this here Furrnox ;D