Poll

Should the Vietnam War be reenacted?

Yes
No
Other (please explain)

Author Topic: The Weekly Reenactor Poll - #4 Vietnam  (Read 11285 times)

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The Weekly Reenactor Poll - #1 To Guard or Not to Guard?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 03:34:09 am »
Reenacting tired soldiers....your a genius! BLOODY GENIUS.

Totally going to tell my cpl that if I ever fall asleep on guard.

lol ya i think all do that
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 07:19:40 am »
Sgt : Private you fell asleep on Provost!

Me : I was only reenacting sir!

btw cant believe a majority of you havent done provost. MArching around in full gear at 3AM is something every reenacter must do!
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 01:38:18 pm »
i
my
sleep
 ;D
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »
Sometimes, I wished people would go to bed at some more historical times. I know, people like to stay up and have a good time, drinking and talking, etc. But I regularly see people being up to 1 or 2 am. I mean, that's when soldiers sometimes woke up.

And then of course, the next day they are tired as fuck, refuse to wake up early, parade or walk guard. Sigh. It aches me to admit Napoleonic re-enacting could use a little historical behavior-boost.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 04:17:11 pm »
/Is there a hardcore community and units inNapoleonic?
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:49 pm »
Sure there is. Most of them are more out east - Germany, Poland, Russia. Hardcore cavalry is mostly found in either France or Russia, for some reason.

More at home, I can only really think of the 7e BvL that fits the 'hardcore unit' description. It differs per event, of course. Events such as La Boissere are visited by people from all corners and groups, and it's pretty much as hardcore as you can imagine. Well, it was. This year it was a 'light version', due to shortage of participants. Do note it's not like all groups in the Netherlands are farbs - The great majority are people who spend lots of time and money into an accurate impression (uniform etc.). I know one guy, a engineer sergeant, who is probably the most typical beer-campfire guy you can imagine, and he has spend countless hours doing research to the uniform of the engineers and their role in the battlefield. They even made field fortification a couple of times. He is one of the many guys I know that, given the chance, they would love to participate in guard duties and patrols and such.

There's good news, though. Events and groups itself are more and more looking at historical accurate camplife etc. A new group doing light infantrymen is planning on having their cooks made in a historical organization (a group of men sharing one cooking pan, with a different guy responsible every day) and the general idea of more historical accurate behavior seems to rise. After Waterloo 2015, I'm convinced we will see a drop in numbers, but those will mostly be 'hobby'-re-enactors, while people who are more willing to become more realistic will stay. Plus, with less anniversary events, we will have more events of our own, where we can develop ourselves.

There's an event in november where they are already planning to have a march to the field and pre-battle skirmishes, and a 4-day event next year where the plans are...interesting.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:09:43 pm by Duuring »

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
Re: The Weekly Reenactor Poll - #2 Women Reenactors?
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »
Poll updated for this week, check the main thread. Please be civil this.  :P
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 09:19:03 pm »
Apparently you ended the poll very early :P

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 10:53:10 pm »
thats a bad topic...

I have women in my group and we treat them the absolute same, even though in the Dark Ages they were basically sex slaves.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 12:13:26 am »
I have two opinions that are relevant to this subject.

Firstly, People should not be 'not allowed' to re-enact because of things they can't simply change, however, units can decide to have certain qualifications for their members, including age, sex, weight, you name it. It's within their right as an independent group. But you can not forbid all women in general from re-enacting, that goes against my first principal.

Here in the Netherlands, there are a few female soldiers, and each of them look just as good as the men and make as much an effort. There's one woman in my cavalry group, and we really couldn't do without her  :P

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 01:48:08 am »
Can't seem to vote. Anyways, I appreciate it when women reenactors only do impressions that are of women's. Only time I could possibly not mind is if their appearance and impression was squared away and could fool anyone. "B-But Landrik! You have fat, old guys who don't look any good! It's a valid excuse to inject more farbiness into the hobby with women!" Yyyyeeaaaahhh I wouldn't recruit a fatty anyways unless he actually was making progress to be in shape and slim down. Also, I wouldn't reenact VC or IJA because I'm not asian in the slightest or couldn't even look remotely close to it.

Reenacting, however, does not a grand overarching authority. Only two authorities: Units and Event Organizers. I like it like that.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 10:06:27 am »
Women fought for their rights in the past mainly just to reenact with us. Ladies love dem Enfield and Springfield!

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 02:25:23 pm »
At the moment, the 21e's looking to do more with our ladies in terms of camp life, since we have quite a few camping women, a few come out with us to battle, I think we have one full time woman as a soldier but any woman's aloud to be in the line. 

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 07:34:10 pm »
The poll should be working now.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 08:25:47 pm »
I've never seen the problem with a woman reenacting, as long as she puts forward as much of an effort as all the other members.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.