Author Topic: Romans or Britons?  (Read 2201 times)

Offline weaverwarrior12

• First Lieutenant
  • God with us!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 10thBI_SGfr_Stormtrooper
  • Side: Confederacy
Romans or Britons?
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:04:58 pm »
This is another one of my versus threads, I did one not too long ago. (Normans vs Anglo-Saxons)

This one is hard for me because I have Breton blood, but that Breton blood is Romano-British.
So I guess I will side with the Romans.

Offline Vespasian

• First Lieutenant
  • Ex 91st & Spartan
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 22nd_Foot_Lt_Vespasian
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Romans or Britons?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:18:26 pm »
The Romans of course, one of the most successful empires known to man and its capabilities would have only reached further across the world had Caesar not been assassinated.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:46:32 am »
The Romans of course, one of the most successful empires known to man and its capabilities would have only reached further across the world had Caesar not been assassinated.

Julius Caesar was calming down with his conquests. After seizing the empire for himself, and becoming dictator, he had already captured substantial amounts of land (rich in resources), in Gaul, Iberia, and Gibraltar. He even took lands in Syria, Aegyptus, and Cyrenaica. He hadn't the need to expand further. The richest of lands in the known world were already Roman, thanks to him.

However, if I truly had to pick Romans or Britons... It'd be very hard to decide, but probably ultimately come down to the Romans. The Britons were master ambushers and masters of fear. The Romans were master soldiers and masters of discipline. Although the Britons had ambushed the Romans countless times, they almost always lost due to the Romans knowing how to keep cohesion and rotating tired soldiers. It kept fresh troops at the front the whole time, and often times, they fought exhausted British warriors.

Offline Brock

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:53:25 am »
Romans because of the introducing of a very regimented military and political system that worked. Britons where just another reason for the fall of the Roman Empire and setback of human technology and culture.

Offline Vespasian

• First Lieutenant
  • Ex 91st & Spartan
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 22nd_Foot_Lt_Vespasian
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:08:10 am »

Julius Caesar was calming down with his conquests. After seizing the empire for himself, and becoming dictator, he had already captured substantial amounts of land (rich in resources), in Gaul, Iberia, and Gibraltar. He even took lands in Syria, Aegyptus, and Cyrenaica. He hadn't the need to expand further. The richest of lands in the known world were already Roman, thanks to him.

True, but one of the main reasons the Roman Empire fell was due to corruption, something which Caesar worked so very hard to eradicate within the senate. As im sure you are familiar with him wanting the people to have the power unlike the rest of the senate. As well as this concerning not having a need to expand further the Roman Empire was yet to conquer a vast amount of East Asia and Germania, all which contained a fair amount of wealth and would have improved the Roman Auxiliaries. Consequently from these potential conquers Rome would have benefited financially and military wise.

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 02:25:13 am »
On the topic of your blood, surely any white european could claim to be related or have the blood of literally any european ethnic group from 2000 years ago considering your ancestors double every generation you would have theoretically hundreds of times the number of ancestors than there were people alive at that time.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Gamboji

• Donator
  • zZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 02:26:53 pm »
I think romans are better.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:29:55 pm by Skills4Evil »

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this