Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 529673 times)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #3450 on: May 13, 2018, 08:45:47 pm »
Northern Ireland isn’t in a political crisis in relation to them being in the YK, it’s their inability to agree on local governance.

Also Scotland might not consider themselves to be British, but they are part of the nation and when the vote happened it was as the country of he United Kingdom, not as England, Scotland etc. Let’s just put it this way, if We had all remained because Scotland wanted to remain then wouldn’t England be being kept against their will? But that would be okay? Scotland might be a separate cultural identity , but the political identity is still that of the UK.

The UK & EU are both unions (sure the UK union is a much stronger union compared to the EU). Anyways my point was that Farage uses self determination and argues that the Brittish don't want the EU even though half the states in his union did want it, I just find it funny. I wasn't trying to imply anything else really.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3451 on: May 13, 2018, 08:55:21 pm »
Northern Ireland isn’t in a political crisis in relation to them being in the YK, it’s their inability to agree on local governance.

Also Scotland might not consider themselves to be British, but they are part of the nation and when the vote happened it was as the country of he United Kingdom, not as England, Scotland etc. Let’s just put it this way, if We had all remained because Scotland wanted to remain then wouldn’t England be being kept against their will? But that would be okay? Scotland might be a separate cultural identity , but the political identity is still that of the UK.

The UK & EU are both unions (sure the UK union is a much stronger union compared to the EU). Anyways my point was that Farage uses self determination and argues that the Brittish don't want the EU even though half the states in his union did want it, I just find it funny. I wasn't trying to imply anything else really.
But the majority of people DID want it. It's irrelevant where in the country those people are because that's not how a referendum works. A lot of London wanted to stay too but that doesn't mean they're being oppressed. That's just how democracy works.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3452 on: May 13, 2018, 10:39:17 pm »

UK is a unitary state, not a federal/confederal union. UK has self-determination unlike say Spain or the USA, any part of it can leave if they so wish, you just don't get a Wallonia style veto. 

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #3453 on: May 14, 2018, 08:36:55 am »
It's so painful to see the Belgian prime minister get so worked up about Farage's comments about Belgium not being a nation... btw with an earpiece in, the sod doesn't even speak English well enough... Something I think is unacceptable at such a level of European politics... even though his own people doesn't even think there is something called 'Belgium'.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: May 14, 2018, 05:51:42 pm »
It's so painful to see the Belgian prime minister get so worked up about Farage's comments about Belgium not being a nation... btw with an earpiece in, the sod doesn't even speak English well enough... Something I think is unacceptable at such a level of European politics... even though his own people doesn't even think there is something called 'Belgium'.

So obvious Farage wanted him to react like that and he just walked straight into it.

I find it kinda weird how Belgian politics is really hazardous and difficult to navigate, so you'd expect only the best would make it to the top, yet instead you get people like Michel, Verhofstadt and Van Rompuy...

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #3455 on: May 14, 2018, 07:37:10 pm »
You'd get people who seem competant on the first glance but they're nothing more than oppertunists who luckily scored a few goals at the right time.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: May 14, 2018, 10:06:21 pm »
I don't think UK is opressing other 'nations' and I think most of non English indenfiy as British (I just assumed that yea). But it just shows how hypocritical Farages' statements are by call in EU artificial false (whatever that false means sounds sth a muslim fanatic would say) while all the states are artificial and since nation is human invention it is hard to define it.
Also first time hearing about Cordican terorrism, when I was there 10 years ago (plot twist im older than 10) it was fine just looked like more wild place (more crime,  dirty streets), and people spoke Corsican sometimes. France is actually made out of 30 strong dialects but most of course can speak official French.

European identity could be a thing just like national identity developed and replace 'province'  identity.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: May 15, 2018, 08:38:19 pm »
National identities have not replaced regional or local identities and identities do not have to replace another to exist.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: May 15, 2018, 09:50:07 pm »
Yes an individual can have multiple identities, but in practice one of them has to dominate and therein lies the problem.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: May 15, 2018, 10:18:55 pm »
National identities have not replaced regional or local identities and identities do not have to replace another to exist.
You are right of course but I meant replaced as the main identity/strongest, and I think for most people national identity is stronger than regional. But there are stronger identities like family, friends.... I dont think National and regional or national and European can be on the same level one will strongly dominate the other.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:22:08 pm by McPero »

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: May 15, 2018, 11:02:50 pm »
You can't have one of the worst fertility rates in Europe but still expect to have one of the most generous welfare systems.

Looks like it's time for the Swedes to learn that same lesson, lol:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-15/look-at-what-s-going-to-happen-to-sweden-s-fabled-welfare-state

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: May 15, 2018, 11:07:59 pm »
Gotta love Sweden, selflessly taking one for the team and showing the rest of Europe what will happen if they don't urgently change course.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3462 on: May 16, 2018, 12:08:09 am »
What do you mean by that?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: May 16, 2018, 01:52:16 am »
Whether it's allowing women to serve in combat, or people to change their gender, Sweden usually gets there first. Though to be fair they're also often the last to abandon insane ideas since they were practising state-sponsored eugenics programmes and sterilising people well into the 1970s. It's a little known fact that Sweden, per head of population, sterilised more people than Nazi Germany.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: May 16, 2018, 07:16:26 am »
Whether it's allowing women to serve in combat, or people to change their gender, Sweden usually gets there first. Though to be fair they're also often the last to abandon insane ideas since they were practising state-sponsored eugenics programmes and sterilising people well into the 1970s. It's a little known fact that Sweden, per head of population, sterilised more people than Nazi Germany.
Poor Swedistan, you will be remembered for your vikings that went through entire Russia to get to Constantinople to get a job there.
Aren't women in Sweden forced to serve in combat?