Author Topic: A historical night  (Read 8698 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: A historical night
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 02:10:18 am »
That's bogus del sorry to hear
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 02:33:01 am »
Damn, well, in that case, make sure you refill your canteen every chance you got.

For some reason a lot of people don't have canteens in my reg. Making me, who has one, a very popular guy.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 03:08:47 am »
Damn, well, in that case, make sure you refill your canteen every chance you got.

For some reason a lot of people don't have canteens in my reg. Making me, who has one, a very popular guy.

did i just hear 'lot of people don't have canteens in my reg'
Spoiler
[close]
i hope your lying
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 03:26:24 am »
Canteens weren't an official part of the uniform in the French army, let alone issued. So you have a lot of freedom, leading to some people actually not getting the stuff. Most people actually do have one, but never bring it to the field. I think I exeratted a bit when I said 'a lot'. 'Some' might be better.

You can basicly use everything, and it will be historical. Mine's a wine bottle in a leather bag with strap. Only 7,50 euro.

I will have to get an English style blue canteen for my hussar impression though. And the only one who has those things here easily asks over 40 euro for it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:28:40 am by Duuring »

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 03:56:18 am »
For my first (and currently only...) "over-nighter" I used a wool blanket, a shelter-half, and hole. All historical of course. The hole was probably the farbiest part of the lot. I mean, did they really have glow-worms in France, 1944?  :P
I used my haversack for a pillow, and wore a jeep cap on my head.

Also, Deo, I'm under-18 and I was still able to stay the night. So, I dunno...  Bad luck I guess, dude. :-\
(there were wavers involved, but still...)
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 03:58:23 am »
For my first (and currently only...) "over-nighter" I used a wool blanket, a shelter-half, and hole. All historical of course. The hole was probably the farbiest part of the lot. I mean, did they really have glow-worms in France, 1944?  :P
I used my haversack for a pillow, and wore a jeep cap on my head.

Also, Deo, I'm under-18 and I was still able to stay the night. So, I dunno...  Bad luck I guess, dude. :-\
(there were wavers involved, but still...)

Oh since you mention it....I hadn't sign any waivers....maybe Ill ask them about it.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 04:44:54 am »
Pretty sure you have to be 18 to sign waivers.

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 05:26:23 am »
Pretty sure you have to be 18 to sign waivers.

I think if you are a minor(under 18) you have to sign as well as have a parent or guardian sign.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 06:24:18 am »
Zac, if you're seriously retiring from reenacting I'm going to cry. ;~;
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 06:49:45 am »

i just noticed that, whats up Zac? :(

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 01:31:13 pm »

i just noticed that, whats up Zac? :(

whyyyyyyy Zac :(
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 12:12:45 am »
Hey König, for that reenactment I slept in the hole fully dressed with a blanket over me and two zeltbahn quarters over the hole, the top tied to a sapling with a rope. I only got 2 hours of sleep anyways with fucking Ami probing the line AFTER 2am when my watch was over. There were only 12 of us and about 30+ of you guys. Add in fog and soaked trees dropping waterdrops onto dead leaves everyfuckingwhere with no cease and you'll bet I was one paranoid mofo.

Although for the two hours of sleep I had it was nice out, a bit chilly. Since I had my boots on, my sweaty feet were really cold.

Oh yeah, remain as dry as you can be. Nothing sucks more than freezing from sweat. Also layers count, no matter what it is. That's why straw is amazing because it keeps the ground from sucking the heat out of you as well as cushions the hard ground. That's why typically when I sleep the boots are off and the socks/footwraps around my mid-section. You can lose a lot of heat through your feet too and they need to be well enclosed. I carry around a little bag with me to store extra underwear, socks, and shirts (too many times getting rained on to not know any better) and I like to stick my feet in there.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 12:20:04 am »
Hey König, for that reenactment I slept in the hole fully dressed with a blanket over me and two zeltbahn quarters over the hole, the top tied to a sapling with a rope. I only got 2 hours of sleep anyways with fucking Ami probing the line AFTER 2am when my watch was over. There were only 12 of us and about 30+ of you guys. Add in fog and soaked trees dropping waterdrops onto dead leaves everyfuckingwhere with no cease and you'll bet I was one paranoid mofo.

Although for the two hours of sleep I had it was nice out, a bit chilly. Since I had my boots on, my sweaty feet were really cold.
Basically sums-up my experience, but on the other-side-of-the-wire.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 02:14:01 am »

Well last year they had that:
Spoiler
[close]
So I guess they know what they are going to face. It is really hot, but it would be a shame if it would rain all day. Especially on Gettysburg 150th.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 03:16:55 am »

Well last year they had that:
Spoiler
[close]
So I guess they know what they are going to face. It is really hot, but it would be a shame if it would rain all day. Especially on Gettysburg 150th.

Olafson, at civl war reenacments  they have "ice angles" which are women who are in period civilain cloths who walk around with ice so pretty much the same     
Spoiler
[close]