Author Topic: My Civil war reenacting kit. Feel like sharing.  (Read 21983 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
My Civil war reenacting kit. Feel like sharing.
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:34 am »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
Re: My Civil war reenacting kit. Feel like sharing.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:33:15 am »
Interesting... So you Reenact as a Union soldier, but with an Enfield, not a Springfield?

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:55:28 am »
Enfields were used by the Union but not as much as Springfields. The 20th Maine were primarily armed with enfields until just after Gettysburg.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:59:33 am »
I say, why isn't the side of you Hardee put up?
There are rules, sir! Regulations! Yank!

Seriously, pretty nice. I like how you went for the 'simple' stuff :)

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 12:04:58 pm »
Nice kit,so u run around without pants? :) ,,Duuring u must do this,so we can laugh at your shako :) ,i myself prefer the enfield, is it the Pedersoli version?

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »
I say, why isn't the side of you Hardee put up?
There are rules, sir! Regulations! Yank!

Seriously, pretty nice. I like how you went for the 'simple' stuff :)
Im not sure if having the side up was regulation. I prefer to have both sides down. The hardee will be more of the hat ill wear in camp and the forage cap will be formations and battles.
And thank you im still pretty new to the hobby so I am trying to go for the simple stuff.

Nice kit,so u run around without pants? :) ,,Duuring u must do this,so we can laugh at your shako :) ,i myself prefer the enfield, is it the Pedersoli version?
I am not exactly sure what you mean by Pedersoli  version? Like I said im pretty new to the hobby so this is an incomplete kit. All I really need to finish the basic canvas is trowsers and brogans.
I was planning on buying the rifle later however I got a deal from a guy to get it ffor $500 with 2 scabbards and bayonet.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »
My knowledge on the ACW is pretty basic, but forage caps were the ones you ought to wear in the camp and off-duty, Hardee hats (or shako's) in battle and parade (Or, as the name suggests, for 'dress'). What do your fellow re-enactors do?

Zac, you know my shako is terrible (and not completly historical accurate)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:52:32 pm by Duuring »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 04:59:27 pm »
Forage cap would have been worn in any time of action weather it be combat camp or parade. Hardees were private purchase I believe very few units gave them out. If a man had a hardee he would wear it everywhere.

Normal guy had one or the other. I just love them both xD

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »
Pedersoli is a famous,and excellent quality, gun company based in italy ,http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/ , there guns are trusted by reenactors everywhere,expensive yes but worth it.

i hate my forage cap :( that is why i replace with santa hat :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:03:35 pm by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 05:05:35 pm »
Hardee hats were the regulation hat for anything on-duty, like the French and British wore shakos, and the Germans wore those silly pikehelmets. They, next to that, had forage caps.

As far as I know, due to volunteers refusing the Hardee on account of being uncomfortable and stiff, they were stopped being handed out early in the war. Either that, or they ran out of them, but I remember reading letters from Volunteers to home, saying they did receive that. Either I read that in Osprey or some book I'll never find again  ::)

Personally, I say they look rather spiffing, especially with the side put up with that eagle-stamp.

Zac, that santa hat actually goes perfect with the Grenadier uniform.

Edit: Oh, and Millander, I hope you don't this the wrong way. What you wear and how is your business and that of your re-enactmentgroup, off course!  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:20:21 pm by Duuring »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 05:03:36 am »
Forage cap also known as the kepi was standard army issue. Hardees were more useful and stylish.

Offline Frederickson

• First Lieutenant
  • "La Garde meurt, mais ne se rend pas."
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2de_Lt_Frederickson
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 06:07:30 am »
Forage cap also known as the kepi was standard army issue. Hardees were more useful and stylish.

Kepis and Forage Caps are two different things Millander.

Forage cap:
Spoiler
[close]

Kepi:
Spoiler
[close]

Forage cap has more room in it (for an apple while foraging for example... hence Forage Cap...)

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 02:46:26 am »

As far as I know, due to volunteers refusing the Hardee on account of being uncomfortable and stiff, they were stopped being handed out early in the war. Either that, or they ran out of them, but I remember reading letters from Volunteers to home, saying they did receive that. Either I read that in Osprey or some book I'll never find again  ::)

Actually not true. The Iron Brigade was known for their hardee hats. A ton of western federals actually loved their hardee hats over the slouch hat and forage hat. This image was taken of a Illinois regiment in the field. Notice the Hardees...

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 11:20:47 am »
So the Iron brigade was famous for keeping to regulations? :D

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 12:30:06 pm »
So the Iron brigade was famous for keeping to regulations? :D

Uhh, these were volunteer regiments managed by the states (even in the north). Nation wide regulations didn't exist. Tons of regiments were never issued the Hardee...