Author Topic: Gaming PC Builds  (Read 78077 times)

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Gaming PC Builds
« Reply #660 on: December 05, 2020, 06:20:09 am »
Not to mention SAM is a bastardised version of something that already existed so this is something eventually we could be seeing for Intel based CPU's.

The more impressive thing with AMD is actually the performance of the 6800XT and how far it can overclock, which could even go better if the limits in the Bios werent so large.
Just to add to this, Asus and AsRock have already released Bios updates that enable the intel variant of SAM (Clever Memory...yikes) to intel CPU's. People are seeing up to 16% performance increases which is kinda nuts.

Intel has also announced that they will be including their own implementation of Resizable BAR (what SAM is based on anyway) to Rocket Lake and will be compatible with both nvidia and amd GPU's.

So that extra feature that people were overhyping is no loner an AMD selling point.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Kristine

• Donator
  • 55th_Gren
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr8[LG]S-Gefr_Kristine
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #661 on: December 05, 2020, 06:45:50 am »
Not to mention SAM is a bastardised version of something that already existed so this is something eventually we could be seeing for Intel based CPU's.

The more impressive thing with AMD is actually the performance of the 6800XT and how far it can overclock, which could even go better if the limits in the Bios werent so large.
Just to add to this, Asus and AsRock have already released Bios updates that enable the intel variant of SAM (Clever Memory...yikes) to intel CPU's. People are seeing up to 16% performance increases which is kinda nuts.

Intel has also announced that they will be including their own implementation of Resizable BAR (what SAM is based on anyway) to Rocket Lake and will be compatible with both nvidia and amd GPU's.

So that extra feature that people were overhyping is no loner an AMD selling point.

nuff said

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #662 on: December 05, 2020, 11:42:20 am »
Right now AMD cpu and NVIDIA gpu combo is your best bet if you are going for max performance.
Besides that it's really hard to go wrong with either of them.
I agree that both have good value products, but AMD is miles ahead in price to performance at the top end.
You can get a water cooled 6800XT for $900 which equals a 3090 ($1500) at 1440p and is single digit frames behind at 4k, runs very cool and quiet.
The 3090 is a fucking joke. 3060Ti and 3080 are pretty alright though I will admit.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 11:48:18 am by MrTiki »

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #663 on: December 05, 2020, 11:43:52 pm »
What's the AMD equivalent of nvidias ray tracing or do they both support it and nvidia is just trying to sound special with their RTX labelling?
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #664 on: December 06, 2020, 08:15:10 am »
What's the AMD equivalent of nvidias ray tracing or do they both support it and nvidia is just trying to sound special with their RTX labelling?
The new 6000 series does support Ray Tracing but its not very good, "RDNA". Performance of the 6800 XT at the moment is similar to like a 2060 Super at the moment on a lot of games.

DLSS Is really good right now so even those really intensive games with Ray Tracing you are only feeling a 5-10% hit which is insanely good.

I like Ryzen 5000 series but until we see the 6900 cards I don't think personally I can justify not going nvidia still. The 6800 XT has similar price to the 3080 being around 50 euros less, but you won't get the great hardware encoding in NVENC, DLSS, Shadowplay, Broadcast and Ray Tracing (its just that shit on AMD rn). I couldn't live without these so its well worth the slight extra cost for me.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #665 on: December 06, 2020, 12:47:19 pm »
AMD is working on a more general version of ray tracing branded DXR, which essentially should work on all direct x titles, making it far more widely applicable than nvidia's game specific implementations.
That said the performance isn't there yet, it's more or less on par with 1st gen RTX.

Honestly I don't think the performance hit is worth it for ray tracing at present, there's honestly not that much difference for what is a substantial fps hit. No idea where you're getting the 5-10% numbers from John Price:
https://www.techspot.com/article/2109-nvidia-rtx-3080-ray-tracing-dlss/

DLSS on its own is almost enough to make getting an NVIDIA card worth it (although personally I need a better monitor first). I'll be interested to see AMDs version of it, although similar to ray tracing they've got a lot of catching up to do.

I think the next gen of cards will make ray tracing a no brainer on both AMD and NVIDIA, but it's certainly something I'm happy to do without for the foreseeable future.

Elsse

« Reply #666 on: December 06, 2020, 02:46:30 pm »
Might buy that impressive 3060ti

Offline Snikkel

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 08, 2020, 06:56:17 pm »
This is what my build is looking like right now. If u guys have any feedback i'd love to hear, but don't u dare copy my shit.
Gonna OC the fk out of my 1080ti till something like the 3080ti comes out.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k8dJmk

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 08, 2020, 08:41:02 pm »
This is what my build is looking like right now. If u guys have any feedback i'd love to hear, but don't u dare copy my shit.

ugly cooler
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Snikkel

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 08, 2020, 09:07:54 pm »

ugly cooler

It's pretty bulky ye I agree. Atleast i'm not going with the default colors.

Offline Rikkert

• Brigadier General
  • Zout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 08, 2020, 09:16:29 pm »
120 euros for some rgb fans bro, why

Offline Snikkel

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 08, 2020, 10:09:44 pm »
120 euros for some rgb fans bro, why

Oh they are just a placeholder because I couldn't find the ones I want on the partpicker site. Mine are in the 50-70 euro range.

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 08, 2020, 10:17:08 pm »

ugly cooler

Why not some cool - pun intended - looking aio? Or you just don't wanna spend where u don't have to?

Offline Rikkert

• Brigadier General
  • Zout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 08, 2020, 10:33:00 pm »

ugly cooler

Why not some cool - pun intended - looking aio? Or you just don't wanna spend where u don't have to?
AIO's generally speaking aren't better than these massive heatsink fans, and those AIO's can have a slight risk of leaking

Offline Snikkel

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 08, 2020, 10:37:41 pm »
Spoiler

ugly cooler

[close]

Ye, i'm going air because I have a bad history with water cooling. Coolermaster and Corsair have both failed me resulting in water damage before.
I know something like the Kraken looks very clean and has a very slight performance boost, but at double the cost. Also I'm gonna be moving it around a fair bit and don't want to risk any accidental water damage. Not to mention the annoying cricket sound that comes with water cooling at idle or low load.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:40:12 pm by Snikkel »