Poll

Which One Would You Want To Fight In?

Civil War
Napoleonic Wars
Neither

Author Topic: Civil War or Napoleonic Wars  (Read 22576 times)

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
Re: Civil War or Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 04:11:32 am »
Im pretty certain if I was living at the time I would have enlisted just like every other man did. Granted I totally would not go back in time to fight in the war if I had the choice.

Hopefully I wouldn't end up being one of those guys who bring the 1,000 man regiment do to 300 strength.

Basically this.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 04:11:59 am »
On the note of patriotism what was the main motivation to volunteer in the Napoleonic Wars (granted most were conscripts). I can understand instances like Russia in 1812 and Prussia in 1813 but it feels like there was no clear motive to the Napoleonic Wars like the Civil War.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:14:04 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 08:22:25 am »
Most wars of the coalition were started by the Allies to curb France's power because of her dangerous Revolutionary ideals, ironically every war of coalition that happened, Napoleon grew stronger until the 6th coalition.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 09:20:42 am »
Money, Millander. These people were soldiers as profession. In a few instances it was patriotism, like France 1793 (though still technically conscripts), Netherlands 1813, Spain and Germany 1813, but when you exclude the liberation wars, it's really just money.

Patriotic volunteers often formed their own units (the famous 'Volunteer Jagers) that they'd disband after the war had ended. Sometimes they were simply thrown into a regular battalion and became regular soldiers against their wills. Such a case happened with a company of volunteers from the town of Goes, in Zeeland, was added to the 2nd Batallion of the Line in 1814. Nearly the entire company deserted after they realized they were supposed to do 6 years service.

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jorvasker
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 08:19:08 pm »
Napoleonic Wars, because honestly I don't care very little for the American Civil War anymore.

Regiment History:
Filthy Casual Publorde from May 2011 - Mid July 2012 / Early Services from July - November 2012, including 33rd, 63e, 1stCI / 1stFKI - November 2012 - April 2013 / Break from April 2013 - July 2013, with a short return to 63e from June until July / 1stEPI - July 2013 - January 2016 (Retired from game)

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »
You'd probably have a better chance of surviving in the Napoleonic Wars. It all depends on your regiment and/or what battle you were in but it would not be uncommon for regiments in the Civil War, more so for Southern forces, to be completely obliterated to <10% strength. Even though conscription was a heavily used system in the Napoleonic Wars in the CSA late-war conscription made regiments simultaneously younger and older as all the young men were killed or maimed; that kind of desperation for bodies to be put on the line did not happen in the Napoleonic Wars.

Offline Ody

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • MoskovGren Ody on steam
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MoskovGren_Kpt_~Odysseus~
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 05:09:43 pm »
I'd rather fight in Napoleonic Wars and this is why; the Civil War weaponry was more sophisticated and accurate than during the NW era, therefore, while the Civil War weaponry can almost be compared to rifles, they were still forced to fire in lines which is the ultimate death sentence. Whereas NW although it's almost the same, the muskets weren't that accurate, so you may live just a little bit longer.

AeroNinja

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 05:11:00 pm »
Nap wars ftw. Old Guard yes please.

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 05:18:10 pm »
Civil war all the way

Long live CSA

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 08:51:36 pm »
Civil war all the way

Long live CSA

Begs the question, we should probably add what job and unit we'd want to be a part of in these wars.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 10:23:28 pm »
I'd rather fight in Napoleonic Wars and this is why; the Civil War weaponry was more sophisticated and accurate than during the NW era, therefore, while the Civil War weaponry can almost be compared to rifles, they were still forced to fire in lines which is the ultimate death sentence. Whereas NW although it's almost the same, the muskets weren't that accurate, so you may live just a little bit longer.

Just remember that you only fought a very small percentage of your time. Diseases, bad hygiene and simply hunger killed many more.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 10:25:27 pm »
Which is why you're a skirmisher, so that way you can use cover more often that marching towards your death via column. Also scavenging.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 10:29:01 pm »
Skirmishers didn't scavenge (I prefer the term 'forage'  :P ) any more then other regiments. Skirmishers also didn't have the safest job ever.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 10:32:39 pm »
No, the safest job ever probably went to the posh bastards in the very rear of the line who claimed that they actually fought.

Give me Blucher, Picton or Ney over a bastard like McClellan any day.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 11:01:02 pm »
Picton (Division) and Ney (Corps) were not supreme commanders. McClellan was, and as far as I know he was still right in the middle of the battle. He wasn't a bad chap, just not the guy they wanted.

Blucher was just crazy.