Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 106481 times)

Offline Maroon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maroon
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #420 on: June 29, 2013, 06:32:57 pm »
I think if you sent 4 skilled lancers in you could take out an entire regiment of 15 or more people, provided that the regiment of infantry has used its bullets because face it lancers wont do a head on charge.

The only scenario when this is plausible is if the infantry regiment is made up players who never played the game prior. It's laughable to think that such a scenario could happen under normal circumstances.

I've taken out entire regiments of around 15 players with just 2 cavalry players (granted, only happened twice). How? One dismounts, lures a few away from the main group in melee, the mounted guy comes up from behind, kills one, while the other is startled because a cav guy just came in from behind him, so he's finished off by the dismounted. Repeat, win.
With 4 lancers, that would be even easier. One or two dismount(s), attack the enemy with swords, other two come from behind while couching, or one comes in while the other keeps the rest of the regiment at bay. If you can keep this up, you can easily kill 20+ players with just 4 lances, even a moderately experienced regiment.
Also, it's been 6 weeks since the last version. An update, please?

Offline Japan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Japan
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #421 on: June 29, 2013, 07:46:10 pm »
Spoiler
I think if you sent 4 skilled lancers in you could take out an entire regiment of 15 or more people, provided that the regiment of infantry has used its bullets because face it lancers wont do a head on charge.

The only scenario when this is plausible is if the infantry regiment is made up players who never played the game prior. It's laughable to think that such a scenario could happen under normal circumstances.

I've taken out entire regiments of around 15 players with just 2 cavalry players (granted, only happened twice). How? One dismounts, lures a few away from the main group in melee, the mounted guy comes up from behind, kills one, while the other is startled because a cav guy just came in from behind him, so he's finished off by the dismounted. Repeat, win.
With 4 lancers, that would be even easier. One or two dismount(s), attack the enemy with swords, other two come from behind while couching, or one comes in while the other keeps the rest of the regiment at bay. If you can keep this up, you can easily kill 20+ players with just 4 lances, even a moderately experienced regiment.
Also, it's been 6 weeks since the last version. An update, please?
[close]
You guys are thinking too situational stuff that actually rarely happens and even to further the claim you guys are keep adding the best cavalry in the situation. Obviously the lancers and other cavalry are gonna be win when facing moderate players. But what if they were facing good players. None of them will even go out to get the dismounted in Maroon situation, and if they were moderate players that were the line infantry I am certain more then three would go out and kill the dismount with maybe one coming back.

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
  • Side: Union
« Reply #422 on: June 29, 2013, 08:16:08 pm »

If you let me and 3 other people who I know go lancer I am 100% sure that we could take out a moderate regiment, which is ridicolous, but hey, thats lancers for you.

or pull out sword and bump them(which was also dangerous)

But the only method you would need anyways. They cant spam attack when 15 people are running over them and hitting with lances and swords, sorry just not possible. I believe it happened but I mean seriously, I dont want to be rude to this lancer regiment but if you were fifteen against 4 infantry and lost they must be absolute and I mean absolute crap at this game, or have ridicolous lagg or a terrible commander.

You guys are thinking too situational stuff that actually rarely happens and even to further the claim you guys are keep adding the best cavalry in the situation. Obviously the lancers and other cavalry are gonna be win when facing moderate players. But what if they were facing good players. None of them will even go out to get the dismounted in Maroon situation, and if they were moderate players that were the line infantry I am certain more then three would go out and kill the dismount with maybe one coming back.

You too are thinking too situantional as well. I think you are not understanding my intentions, I dont want to make the lancer crap. I want them to atleast have the lancer drop the lance when switching to sword.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:19:12 pm by The Norseman »
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 29, 2013, 09:52:23 pm »
Yeah, Norse, repeating what you said wont bring the discussion any further.

If the terrain is moderatly flat, with no obstacles what so ever, if the infantry have run out of ammunition, if they have no coherent teamwork whatsoever, and if the infantry players have no experience, then yes, 4 lancers can probably kill them all. However, give me 3 skilled bayonet-meleers and I can probably achieve the same thing in the same situation.

If, however, there is obstacles (Trees, rocks etc), if the infantry have ammo left, and if the infantry have even the smallest amount of coherent teamwork, and if they have even the slightest experience, you wont manage to kill 15 of them. Lancers are so easy to counter, it is insane.

The "problem" is that people face lancers the way they face other melee threats - bayonets. Using a bayonet agaisnt a lancer is, in most instances, as stupid as using a butterknife against a heavy cavalry Sabre. The lancer has the melee-range, the speed and the maneuverability. Dont try to match him in any of those areas, and you'll be fine.

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 29, 2013, 10:38:40 pm »
Yeah I would write a long reply to counter all that, but I know I am right, even though I might sound like a super dick saying so, so I wont write a long reply. Making the lancers drop their lance when switching to sword is a fair request imo. I was never intending to mean lancers in a linebattle, I was speaking of official servers where teamwork is non-existant. There is a reason why I can get 60 kills with lancers and only 40 kills as infantry in the public server with the same time limit.

Ill just explain it shortly.

If the terrain is moderatly flat

Ugh, ofcourse the terrain will be moderately flat, unless the lancer commander is f*cking horrible charging up a hill.

with no obstacles what so ever

Ofcourse it will be no obstacles. A lancer regiment would never attack a garissoned place unless the IQ is beneath 60.

if the infantry have run out of ammunition

Read what I wrote again. A lancer regiment would never go head on with a regiment which has bullets, that is just stupid.

if they have no coherent teamwork whatsoever, and if the infantry players have no experience

I have seen people who have a decent teamwork(yes it was good, even though many of them were killed, because lancers ARE op) and good experience get killed by lancers.

All this scenarios you are setting forward as something "ridicolous" and "rare incidents" are completely normal and the only scenarios where the lancers would attack.

If, however, there is obstacles (Trees, rocks etc), if the infantry have ammo left,

Ugh only stupid commanders would have their men charge in such incidents.

Lancers are so easy to counter, it is insane.

That depends on the situation and you know it very well.

The "problem" is that people face lancers the way they face other melee threats - bayonets. Using a bayonet agaisnt a lancer is, in most instances, as stupid as using a butterknife against a heavy cavalry Sabre. The lancer has the melee-range, the speed and the maneuverability. Dont try to match him in any of those areas, and you'll be fine.

So just block until time runs out, cool. And dont tell me just have someone reload because you would not have time to do that with lancers circling you.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:51:28 pm by The Norseman »

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 29, 2013, 11:46:44 pm »
but I know I am right
I have well over a hundred hours as a lancer in line battles over my time in MM/NW,during which we regurarely fought alot of the communities more skilled regiments, so I think I can speak with some authority on the matter, and whilst it could happen that we would wipe out a single line from time to time, these results were only achieved when the enemy were playing stupid, as in leaving the formation (and getting stabbed in the back by a circling lancer), trying to stab at us(And failing to realize we have the range, and thus they die), or just general lack of teamwork. (Such as covering the guy reloading.)

If a line of infantry would wipe out another line of infantry due to the line being wiped out not being able to play the game properly, would they be overpowered?

The beloved part about lancers is that so people know how to combat them, and thus getting high score counts is quite easy. Once you run into a Infantryman who knows his part of the melee, or a semi-skilled hussar, you will find that calling lancers overpowered is ridiculous.

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 30, 2013, 12:18:29 am »
I have well over a hundred hours as a lancer in line battles over my time in MM/NW,during which we regurarely fought alot of the communities more skilled regiments, so I think I can speak with some authority on the matter, and whilst it could happen that we would wipe out a single line from time to time, these results were only achieved when the enemy were playing stupid, as in leaving the formation (and getting stabbed in the back by a circling lancer), trying to stab at us(And failing to realize we have the range, and thus they die), or just general lack of teamwork. (Such as covering the guy reloading.)

Just proves my point. The reason why you kill them is because they are overrun and lets face it they cant block all the battle so they try to attack and when they do the lance outreaches them. There will ALWAYS be someone not paying attention in every regiment no matter how good. Then as they get fewer and fewer and more and more desperate to stop camping with blocks they will have to charge out and then be killed, provided that the lancers suck.

If a line of infantry would wipe out another line of infantry due to the line being wiped out not being able to play the game properly, would they be overpowered?

Ofcourse not. That is an entirely different thing. There both of them have the same equal standing and units. Lancers and Infantry are COMPLETELY different from line and line.

The beloved part about lancers is that so people know how to combat them, and thus getting high score counts is quite easy. Once you run into a Infantryman who knows his part of the melee, or a semi-skilled hussar, you will find that calling lancers overpowered is ridiculous.

It is not ridicolous at all. If the lancer is killed by the hussar it must mean he either had bad luck or sucks. Just stab the hussar horse and run away, rinse and repeat. If the infantryman knows his part of the melee he might win, but only if the lancer is much below average. 1V1 is a different case, there it is easier for the lancer still, but it depends on how long time the lancer is willing to spend to harass.

Offline Thvle

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 30, 2013, 12:33:39 am »
Please, devs, add the bayonet fix / unfix!

One thing: in taleworls forums have said that next week will draw a patch for warband ... for when will this version of NW?

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 30, 2013, 12:40:47 am »
I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagreeing, and accept we wont change eachother's minds.

However, this statement
Spoiler
Just stab the hussar horse and run away, rinse and repeat.
[close]
is false, as you completely leave the superior speed of the hussar out of the equation. Nontheless, it's getting to late for keyboard rantings.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 30, 2013, 03:18:24 am »

One thing: in taleworls forums have said that next week will draw a patch for warband ... for when will this version of NW?

With the Warband patch should come the NW patch. However they might have said that they would have finished it by next week. But I wouldn't but your hope to high... They could easily delay it again for a couple of weeks.

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 30, 2013, 11:33:05 am »
Agree to disagree it is then.

The patch has been in work for a long time, or atleast I hope they are working on it and not just delaying. :P

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 30, 2013, 02:11:11 pm »

The patch has been in work for a long time, or atleast I hope they are working on it and not just delaying. :P

But... I think... that... with fix bayonet stuff... there will be... more shooting!!! :O No!!!
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Thvle

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 30, 2013, 04:14:54 pm »

But... I think... that... with fix bayonet stuff... there will be... more shooting!!! :O No!!!

With no bayonet, increase accuracy a little bit, but not enough to be shooting all the time ... muskets had little accuracy.

I said because being able to put bayonet, and remove, giving more play and fun.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 01, 2013, 06:32:25 pm »
People seem to forget the fact that classes are supposed to have strong and weak points. They aren't suppose to be equal, it takes away gameplay aspects.

Lancers may seem to have a huge advantage with their lance, but it really isn't. All you need to do is block down, which you can consider a major disadvantage for the lancer.
"But they can ride you over and destroy your block!"
Yes, and so can any cavalryman. And lancers can't ride you over and stab you in one go because the lance is too long for that.

Personally I love being lancer from time to time because people always decide to be a noob and try to stab me. That's not Lancer OP - It's people stupidity, and easy meat for any lancer.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:34:41 pm by Duuring »

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2013, 07:28:14 pm »
Most lancers are stupid too. They mostly don't realise the lenght of their lance. So they charge infantry like they are hussars or dragoons.
Giving me an easy chance to stab the horse and kill 'em