Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 106540 times)

Offline Crayon

• Sergeant
  • Major_Bastard
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2013, 11:14:57 pm »
4. Lancers. If you think they are not OP, then don't change anything and see if any better cav regiment will want to play fair 1vs1's against them. My ideas are : only couched attack, drop after swiching weapon, medium horses, much slower stab, etc. choose whatever you want.

I  disagree entirely. 

Lancers are supposed to be good against other cav, that is their thing. The lance range gives them an advantage in a charge, and a disadvantage when not at speed. Making them not good against cav makes them effectively pointless as a unit type.

The only thing I'd like to see changed with lancers is that if they switch from lance to sword they would auto drop the lance.

That is not disagreeing entirely, now is it? The main thing I want changed is that they drop their lances once switching to swords.

Then I disagree partially.

Damn your eyes sir!

;)
A Major Bastard

Offline Maroon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maroon
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #346 on: June 01, 2013, 01:05:16 pm »
4. Lancers. If you think they are not OP, then don't change anything and see if any better cav regiment will want to play fair 1vs1's against them. My ideas are : only couched attack, drop after swiching weapon, medium horses, much slower stab, etc. choose whatever you want.

I  disagree entirely. 

Lancers are supposed to be good against other cav, that is their thing. The lance range gives them an advantage in a charge, and a disadvantage when not at speed. Making them not good against cav makes them effectively pointless as a unit type.

The only thing I'd like to see changed with lancers is that if they switch from lance to sword they would auto drop the lance.

And I disagree with your partial disagreement. As it stands now, lances have all the advantages against cav and infantry. This is because, in native, where the lancing system comes from, the only way to counter a couch-lance is with a shield, and since shields aren't in NW, and the lance is just about the longest weapon in game (not counting partisan pikes), it is rather, here it comes, OP. I agree with Matim's ideas, I rather like them.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 01, 2013, 01:30:35 pm »
Lol let us disagree to disagree :D

Not often you see disagreement to disagree :)
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Cooper

• Donator
  • Panzer on a horse.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cooper/Cuprum
  • Side: Union
« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2013, 04:18:57 pm »
Spoiler

I  disagree entirely. 

And I disagree with your partial disagreement. As it stands now, lances have all the advantages against cav and infantry. This is because, in native, where the lancing system comes from, the only way to counter a couch-lance is with a shield, and since shields aren't in NW, and the lance is just about the longest weapon in game (not counting partisan pikes), it is rather, here it comes, OP. I agree with Matim's ideas, I rather like them.
[close]

I have to agree too. It's just the point that the fast and strong stab of a lance is very unrealistic and op, although the soldier move it with just on arm.
In my opinion the lance should be slower and have a chance to break if the enemy was hit or he blocked. Btw if you do this it would be useful if the lancers horse get a bit more lifeforce, to be able to fight with his sword.
Retired Clanleader, Cavalry, Student

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2013, 04:20:41 pm »
Lancers are glass-cannons, as the MMO communities word it. Very powerful attack, very weak defense. They die quickly to balance their damage output.

Offline Cooper

• Donator
  • Panzer on a horse.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cooper/Cuprum
« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2013, 04:29:19 pm »
I have nothing to say against the damage. Just the speed combined with the range is op. I do not say that I can not deal with it, but what about 15 noobs with lancers and 15 noobs with any other cav class fight against the other group. Which group do you think will win? I say the lancers. They are to strong, although they are also pretty easy to use.

btw they are no one hits, so in my opinion not glass made.
Retired Clanleader, Cavalry, Student

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2013, 07:34:34 pm »
If I could make one suggestion, what this game really needs is a built in training map that a server hoster doesn't have to separately download. There was a pretty nice one in MMrussia, but there was never one implemented into Napoleonic Wars. I think that would help a lot of regiments out considering many don't know the first thing about adding custom maps.

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:51 pm »
While playing on groupfighting I was actually just in time taking a screenshot of a weird situation:

Please explain - Names etc. not shown!
[close]

Could it be possible this is just bad luck? Or that there is actually something wrong with the hit box?
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2013, 12:48:25 pm »
Dead users have no collision mesh - the user ahead of you appears to be dying, hence why the attack went through.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 02, 2013, 12:52:52 pm »
Dead users have no collision mesh - the user ahead of you appears to be dying, hence why the attack went through.

Well that is the funny thing. He didn't die. And in overal it's not a huge bug or so, but I was just wondering if this could be fixed. :)
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #355 on: June 02, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »
He looks like he's displaying the death animation?
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 02, 2013, 02:00:42 pm »
He looks like he's displaying the death animation?

Exactly! But if you look at the left bottom, there is me being killed, some admin chat ish. But you don't see any signs of the other guy being killed. I can send the original picture if you want.

Edit:

Beside the thing I mentioned before I noticed that Blood and Iron had this really cool moving while in melee mod thing where it goes just slow enough to actually form a formation. Maybe that would be cool to add aswell?
Now it is hard to walk in a line while walking forward :(

(I don't think that is stealing though?)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:51:10 pm by Dekkers »

Offline Joker

• Donator
  • Face it Bats, you'd be lost without me
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 88th_Major_Joker
« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2013, 06:54:35 pm »
By Odin's Beard, please add the ability for Bear/Accessory combos! Imagine the possibilities!

Offline MazZ

• Second Lieutenant
  • MazZ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stCSG_RSM_MazZ
« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2013, 07:10:33 pm »
By Jezus' cross, are there still a lot of changes that need to be done to the beta before it can be released?

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 04, 2013, 10:16:57 pm »
By Jezus' cross, are there still a lot of changes that need to be done to the beta before it can be released?

Ask taleworlds.