Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 106533 times)

Offline Cirry

• Donator
  • Thou shalt not fear because I is here
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Mrks_Cirry
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2013, 10:49:49 am »
I like the cav sword range reduction, even when you dodged an incoming cav man you still got killed from time to time.

Also the HP reduction on horses, now riflemen can consider shooting at the heavy horses instead of the rider.
They took 2 to 3 shots otherwise resulting in very few dead horses and a lot of dead skirms.
I know cav is supposed to be good vs skirms and it should be that way.
But please don't nerf rifle damage again because even now if skirms manage to dehorse charging cav they would just say "lol" and charge and kill a few guys before dying.

The nerfing of rifle melee capabilities to a "defensive tool" only will most likely just result in defensive static skirms. Moving up from hill to hill to get better shots will get a lot more risky and less worth the hassle. I can hear the "omg fucking hillcampers" already.

Also less charging the arty then I guess :(

Just my 2 cents

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2013, 11:28:36 am »
I was just on the beta servers and I am not sure whether you put rifle mele back where it was or just to 22 but it seems reasonable now. Hits are registering and it takes 3-5 hits to kill people (more for heavy cav) which seems fine to me.

Thank You for listening to our arguments and feedback.

Offline Gamer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Lt_Gamer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2013, 11:54:30 am »
Anyway man cheers for the feedback and apologies if I made it a bit frustrating for you to give you feedback unimpeded D:

Haha no problem, was more frustrated about the rifle melee than angry. But thanks for listening to me anyways :)

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2013, 12:42:17 pm »

The decision seems to have already been made to put rifles back the way they were before the beta. The problem is that the only time people actually come in here to give their input is when their annoyed at something or disagree with a particular change. And usually people get annoyed or disagree with a particular change when its way to late to change it. Now everyone has a chance to give input but like I have said before FSE have tended to act on the opinions of a few far to quickly to the detriment of others and themselves. Hence its best to have the discussion especially in the usual absence of those who made the complaints in the first place.

With reference to the bold part of the quote.
Usually people are not psychic enough to know what changes you are going to put out until you have done them.  By deploying this beta you have done it "properly" for once, up until this it has been "Hey guys we will be sending out a new NW patch" *WHAM* "Oh what? You dont like some of the changes we put in yet told you nothing about beforehand?"

Or are you expecting everyone to list every feature of the game and score on a scale of 1-10 whether they liked it or not as a pre-emptive strike as to what you may or may not have been changing.

But anyway, hopefully lessons are learnt for BCoF with the need for beta patch deployments if you expect to get useful levels of feedback on proposed changes.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2013, 01:55:16 pm »
Originally most of the changes in betas resulted in pressure from the community to do so (ie: they weren't changes that came out of nowhere or at least rarely), the problem is, as you state that many people didn't see it coming because they were not even aware it was a point of discussion or didn't care to participate in the forum discussions to begin with. What your saying though actually makes a lot of sense Malakith which I wish had been taken a step further at the time (ie: having a board up that states the planned changes for the beta so that people could discuss well in advance). Kind wondering why never thought of it D:

Those that end up being happy with the changes blissfully dissapear into the woodwork until WHAM lol.
That's kinda what I observed during the melee changes. Man the community was split in half on that issue.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:47:24 pm by Rejenorst »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2013, 01:55:58 pm »
Btw, I was just wondering. Is there a limit on pokes? If so, is it possible to make it so that you have it less often? If there is a good reason for how it is now, please tell me!
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Thvle

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2013, 06:35:24 pm »
And nobody answered me that I said about the bugs in the game, the weapons through walls, which is super slow to climb stairs, and so infinite game bugs?

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2013, 06:40:52 pm »
And nobody answered me that I said about the bugs in the game, the weapons through walls, which is super slow to climb stairs, and so infinite game bugs?

The stairs aren't a bug. It depends on the angle you put them, a small angle and you will move up slow, a wide angle and you will go up faster.
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Thvle

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »

The stairs aren't a bug. It depends on the angle you put them, a small angle and you will move up slow, a wide angle and you will go up faster.

Will you be a joke right? If you often climb the stairs without animation, and when you climb a mountain to one millimeter to millimeter? no animation either ... etc.

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2013, 06:45:41 pm »

Will you be a joke right? If you often climb the stairs without animation, and when you climb a mountain to one millimeter to millimeter? no animation either ... etc.

I am not kidding, I make maps so I play around with ladders quite often, and if you have to go up higher you go slower, and if you move a bit forward instead of upwards, you go faster. As I said.

I think, from what he said. It would be cool if you can't climb hills, and that you actually get an animation for ladders.

Offline Thvle

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »
As I say, you should correct that, what animations, crossing arms when you jump that is not an instant stopped and jump and walk with ease, etc..

Offline DrTaco

• Private
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2013, 07:26:14 pm »
I'm not sure why you guys are arguing about rifle melee - it's balanced now. I can now use my fists just as effectively to fight the ballerinas with bayonets.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:27:51 pm by DrTaco »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:27 pm »
Warband is physics based. Steep ladders/stairs/hill will obviously be harder to climb up than not so steep ladders/stairs/hills.
Weapons through walls? Infinite game bugs? Please explain more.

Anyway, we noted the rifle melee change discussion and we will see what we can do about it. We will keep you updated. Thanks for your feedback, please keep it going.

Offline Punishment

• Private
  • 77y's Inquisitor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2013, 08:13:17 pm »
If you are going to take away any chance we had in melee, please compensate with making our legs run faster then normal line infantry.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:17:14 pm by Punishment »

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2013, 08:22:13 pm »
I was just on the beta servers and I am not sure whether you put rifle mele back where it was or just to 22 but it seems reasonable now. Hits are registering and it takes 3-5 hits to kill people (more for heavy cav) which seems fine to me.

Thank You for listening to our arguments and feedback.

nothing yet was changed since the beta release...