Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 106494 times)

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2013, 06:41:35 pm »
That being said, it still requires good melee skill to wield effectively.

Yes, and the people who were complaining about rifle swings being too OP were the ones who did not have the skill to counter them effectively. It's really not unfair at all, you just need to get used to blocking sideswings. Play some native maybe to get practice?

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »
Yes, and the people who were complaining about rifle swings being too OP were the ones who did not have the skill to counter them effectively.

Again... if I had a dollar every-time someone said "everyone who said X has no skillz"  :p

Different strokes for different folks. Its hard to judge, personally I find that if you give the rifle to a man with decent skill he will lack no advantage given that the rifle can swing four ways while the bayonet can only stab 2 ways. This makes it a bit easier to get the upper-hand of your opponent and while skill does play a major role, its easier to confuse your opponent if he has to expect you to attack from more than 2 directions.

Now I can't remember if the rifle can actually knock you over or not. If it can then I wouldn't disagree with the reduction in damage. If it can't knock you over then I'd say there's no need to reduce damage.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2013, 06:55:43 pm »
Whatever the case, I don't think we should give riflemen the advantage of having both awesome skirmisher/sniper abilities and a hammer of Thor potential.
we have got no where near a hammer of thor potential all we are asking for is that it stays where it is right now! as is if a rifleman picks up a bayo it is less likely to 1 hit than when being used by line, which makes sense, and the rifle butt takes 3-4 swings so a decent player has a good chance.
Has it occurred to anyone that Riflemen might not actually be meant to be good in melee? After all, they're a skirmisher unit without bayonets (but with increased accuracy to make up for that). If you're posting here expecting them to be on-par with line infantry in close combat situations then you're probably not using the class properly.

we do not expect them to be on par, but it is next to impossible to avoid mele all together and a good skirm should have a chance not just have to immediately pick up a bayo in case of mele which basically takes away the only advantage they have and also defeats the purpose of them being rifles. The fact is that at the moment rifle mele seems balanced the new changes have a) bugged it so hits don't register b) made it very hard for us to get a kill in mele at all. 5-10 hits to kill someone is a bit excessive surely, when virtually ever other weapon you come up against is 1-2 hits? excluding small arms and butterknives but even they are probably more effective since they hit consistently

Offline Gamer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Lt_Gamer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2013, 06:59:39 pm »
Currently I see riflemen putting up quite a damn good fight against bayoneted men with very limited hesitation because the amount of bounces that occur with a bayonet during spin melee generally results in the rifleman getting quite a few good side swings in.

And do these people kill with the rifle? To me "putting up a good fight" or "getting a few good side swings in" is not enough, with a few side swings or hits you should be able to kill the person. I don't go into melee with a rifle with the intentions of putting up a fight or getting a few hits in, I want them to die so I don't die and can carry on with the round alive instead of spectating. All I really want is the bloody melee to be kept the same for god sake. Why is it so hard to get the idea that it is not fun to get hits and not kill a bloody thing in melee when they can kill you in 1 or 2 hits when you hit them 4 or 5 times. A game is meant to be fun and when it becomes complete bullshit when you can't actually do anything in melee then I start to lose faith in people's idea of balancing.

And also yes of course you don't have to play as the class to realise how shit the melee was, people complaining obviously don't understand how to fight against a sword, so why haven't they been nerfed to the same level as a rifle? The rifle out of all the 3 main melee weapons have the worst damage, so already they were at a disadvantage, so why change it to be more useless than it was?

TL;DR, Keep it as it was or if you really want to encourage skirms to shoot, get rid of their ability to melee entirely.

Now I can't remember if the rifle can actually knock you over or not. If it can then I wouldn't disagree with the reduction in damage. If it can't knock you over then I'd say there's no need to reduce damage.

Nope, they do not knock people over.

Also Angry_Piper pretty much sums it all up.

Offline Slayer

• Volunteer
  • A loaded gun is a good gun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Mrks_Slayer
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2013, 07:10:32 pm »
Its hard to judge, personally I find that if you give the rifle to a man with decent skill he will lack no advantage given that the rifle can swing four ways while the bayonet can only stab 2 ways.

Now I can't remember if the rifle can actually knock you over or not.

Again, I've said several times and anyone who has actually used a rifle will agree that two of those four attacks are useless (the downattack can sometimes work if you catch someone totally by surprise) in a fight. As for the knockdown, no, rifles can't knock persons down.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:13:37 pm by Slayer »

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2013, 07:21:32 pm »
Spoiler
And do these people kill with the rifle? To me "putting up a good fight" or "getting a few good side swings in" is not enough,

Yes I've see quite a few kills a rifle butt, in fact I've been pummeled to death on a few occasions in duels and have just managed to get the upper hand on a few occasions. Now I am not the best at melee but I am certainly not the worst either I was like 16th - 18th on the LCC stats list for the Australian servers for a while (haven't checked it in a bit).

with a few side swings or hits you should be able to kill the person. I don't go into melee with a rifle with the intentions of putting up a fight or getting a few hits in, I want them to die so I don't die and can carry on with the round alive instead of spectating.

I know that's what you want, hell everyone wants that but using that logic would suggest a wanton for a 1 kill bommyknocker of a rifle whose sole intent is to entice everyone to play for all of the perks and none of the cons.

All I really want is the bloody melee to be kept the same for god sake. Why is it so hard to get the idea that it is not fun to get hits and not kill a bloody thing in melee when they can kill you in 1 or 2 hits when you hit them 4 or 5 times. A game is meant to be fun and when it becomes complete bullshit when you can't actually do anything in melee then I start to lose faith in people's idea of balancing.

Yes a game is meant to be fun but the whole idea of balancing is to make it fun for everyone and not just you and other rifle users.

And also yes of course you don't have to play as the class to realise how shit the melee was, people complaining obviously don't understand how to fight against a sword, so why haven't they been nerfed to the same level as a rifle? The rifle out of all the 3 main melee weapons have the worst damage, so already they were at a disadvantage, so why change it to be more useless than it was?

Most likely to force or encourage its users to stay out of melee and use it an absolute last resort. The way the class was intended.

TL;DR, Keep it as it was or if you really want to encourage skirms to shoot, get rid of their ability to melee entirely.

Well you can always hit people from behind and/or if they're already wounded thus increasing the potential for a 1 hit kill.
Otherwise you should technically be staying behind friendly lines under the protection of friendly units.

Nope, they do not knock people over.

In which case I am not bothered by it tbh but I can understand the goal of making rifle melee a chore to force the class to retreat or not commit to melee unless absolutely necessary. As it stands now I have been seeing people just shoot the rifle men whenever possible because they're dangerous at range and not exactly harmless or a pushover at close range unless you really know what your doing.

Again, I've said several times and anyone who has actually used a rifle will agree that two of those four attacks are useless (the downattack can sometimes work if you catch someone totally by surprise) in a fight. As for the knockdown, no, rifles can't knock persons down.

I've had my head knocked in from overhead attacks from Rifles enough times to take what your saying with a grain of salt, not to mention the fact that I am reluctant to take a single opinion as factual given the inevitable tirade of contrary opinions that follow. I've seen skilled riflemen use the upper attack and the thrust to great effect. It may not be a one hit kill affair if you've got a full health bar but it certainly left an impression and the rifleman was able to follow through with good foot work and follow up side/up or even thrust. D:

Afaik the rifleman is also the fastest infantry class on foot so he has the most accurate weapon. This makes for good footwork against slower classes.

[close]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:24:43 pm by Rejenorst »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Crayon

• Sergeant
  • Major_Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2013, 07:21:56 pm »
Vincenzo has aLready said he is going to boost the rifle melee up a little again for next update so that it will be between the current and the beta in terms of melee whack.

Quote from: Vincenzo link=topic=5423.msg179857#msg179857

The rifle slap damage went from 24 to 20 points of damage, ill put it to 22 next beta and see how that is, i will also give the rifle slightly more melee speed next beta, and see if that balances them out for our skirmishers.

Rightly so imo.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:26:25 pm by Crayon »
A Major Bastard

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2013, 07:26:48 pm »
Fair enough I suppose. I would have found it interesting to see if people would stop playing rifleman all the time and actually cycle through some of the classes a bit. Not that it matters.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Burakkuada

• First Lieutenant
  • Vince - Unban Tavington.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 17e_WookieeBurak
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2013, 07:27:20 pm »
It makes giggle at how deep into argument you guys got about rifles ;D

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »
If you want to be competitive in melee, then play a melee class. If you want to be competitive at long-ranged shooting, play an accurate class. The "Rifleman" class is designed to be competent in ranged combat only. If you're getting into situations in which you feel forced to pick up a bayonet then you're either getting too close to the combat, or you're not running away fast enough.

The whole point of having multiple classes in a game is that they are co-dependent upon each other for survival. As a rifle class it is your job to kill enemies at a longer range, therefore protecting the line infantry who can then protect you (the riflemen) against any enemy melee units in the area. This game isn't meant to be played as a lone ranger - if you're on an official server as a rifleman, then stick close to some line infantry for melee protection and hang back when it comes to close-quarters fighting. The rifleman class isn't meant to be competent in melee, so you need to actively avoid melee combat if you want to survive.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2013, 07:30:03 pm »
^ This.

It makes giggle at how deep into argument you guys got about rifles ;D

Yeah but better to have the discussion now and logged then to have more people getting upset later because there was a) no discussion and b) no action taken before its to late.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Gamer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Lt_Gamer
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »
I honestly really don't see why it needed to be changed or even considered changing if people complaining on the forums actually played the game as both on the receiving end and playing as the rifle. To me it seems as it was fair enough before they decided to change. And if you are saying that it is intended for skirms not to get into melee then you obviously do not play in line battles. You will always have to get into melee as either you are the last left, or you have to hold a hill etc etc. If you are on the receiving end of getting beaten by a rifle and complain it is too good, then I really think you should try and fight with the rifle and see for yourself how unfair it is (as you are either too bad at the game in melee or do not know how to block). I really do not see why we needed a change in the first place, and now that is has changed I see a lot more complaining than there was before...

Also do you guys actually play as skirms in a Line Battle? I would suggest you try it out if you haven't it may change your opinion on how to play the skirms "the correct way". Fuck if you really want skirms to shoot and not engage into melee give it the same accuracy as a sniper rifle for god sake.

Fair enough I suppose. I would have found it interesting to see if people would stop playing rifleman all the time and actually cycle through some of the classes a bit. Not that it matters.

I have played with every single class in a line battle before, and I must say that the only people with worse melee than the skirms is the Arty, but of couse they are actually meant to shoot a cannon and not go round shooting or engage in melee. Also if I want to go into melee then I will pick up a bayonet or a sword as the rifles are shit anyway. So the fact it is already really crap and you guys want to make it even worse just seems like everyone has lost their common sense.

All we want is for it not to change for the worse, why is it so hard? Skirms with rifles were always at a disadvantage if they went into melee, they never ever one hit kill and people who complain just can't deal with them. We don't want it to be as good as a bayonet or a sword, we just want to have a chance of killing people with out it taking 10 hits or 5 people to do it. Just keep it as it was.... it really is that simple.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2013, 08:13:12 pm »
Will you calm down already?
From what you've described, if the melee is already that shit then it won't matter if it gets even shittier, and no I don't suggest making it so but I'll be damned if we don't at least assess the value of each person's argument rather than just taking one person's argument as biblical truth because they assume that their opinion is the only one that counts. I tend to see that far to often. 

As for Skirmishers in line battles, they tend to keep their distance from enemy infantry and even then I've seen a regiment of skirmishers do serious damage to a friendly infantry regiment in melee (they didn't win the melee but there were only 2-3 friendlies left after out of around 12 that actually made it up the hill).

All we want is for it not to change for the worse, why is it so hard? Skirms with rifles were always at a disadvantage if they went into melee, they never ever one hit kill and people who complain just can't deal with them. We don't want it to be as good as a bayonet or a sword, we just want to have a chance of killing people with out it taking 10 hits or 5 people to do it. Just keep it as it was.... it really is that simple.

Its not that hard but like I said I am reluctant to just accept a few arguments against since there's just as many argument for on the basis of what an individual thinks without testing the merits of the argument. Because while its not that hard to please you its damn near impossible to please everyone.

So any discussion that helps in that regard I would consider productive.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:14:52 pm by Rejenorst »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 18, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »
Just saying in a beta the FSE staff shouldn't be defending their actions as if you've already made your final decision about it. You guys should be taking into account what the community wants even if it doesn't work exactly with your original vision. If a lot of people want it then you should change it to something like what they want instead of being stubborn and going against people. And anyway like you just said yourself, it's better to accommodate people now then to resist them and face trouble later down the line when it'll be harder to change things.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:36:36 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »
ok, I think I have posted enough about the rifles but the main feeling here is that this is meant to discourage us from mele that we are meant to depend on others. I have lead plenty of linebattles as a skirmisher commander and the fact is that a lot of the time friendly lines will not be prepared to stick around you all the time, and if we stay by them the whole time then we don't get the good shots that we need to be effective. Yes there is a balance, I always try and keep the 95th within running distance of a line but sometimes it just doesn't work particularly when the other commanders are not feeling cooperative/ are down right dumb. Also you cant shoot everyone, if a 20 man line charged us we have 15 shots, lets say all of them hit we are left to deal with 5 guys with bayonets which 1 hit kill, now for a fact we wont kill all of them so lets say we hit 10 so 10 vs 15, 10 1 hit bayonets vs 15 5 hit rifles who don't train for mele, then we are screwed

and with the changes to running speed we no longer run faster so we cannot retreat. Also retreating tends to result in a volley to the back/ an endless chase around the map which isn't really fun for anyone. All I am asking is that you give us a chance, as it is we can defend ourselves in mele yet I have very rarely seen a rifle regiment beat either cav or line at mele. Dismounted cav for example 1 guy can tear through a whole rifle reg just by sword spamming, we need to get close and swarm and all he does is spam with damn fast cav sword.

Just give us a chance, at the very least fix the hitting issue so that we can actually make the 10 hits it takes to kill people now.