Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 106501 times)

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
  • Side: Union
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2013, 06:11:30 pm »
Have you actually played around with it before going all beserk on a patch note?

the range of the howitzer was reduced by 20 cm,  from 3 meters explosion range to 2.8, also the random drift of cannon ammo went from random 0-40 cm per second to 0-60 cm per second, hardly a extreme increase as you portray.

In any case, In the next beta update ill slap it to 0-50 and see if that is fine.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:58:52 pm by Vincenzo »

Offline ExTa

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Clew_ExTa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2013, 07:16:11 pm »
Yay !

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2013, 07:19:39 pm »
Sorry, but I really, REALLY think artillery needs to be left alone. It seems to have become more of an aesthetic, rather than an actual, useful tool on the battlefield. Players are comfortable with the risk that artillery present, and that's what adds to the tension. Now if someone spots a cannon aiming at their line, it's completely irrelevant, as that cannonball will likely go spinning out of control in completely the wrong direction anyway!

I've already heard people in regiments saying they'll be leaving their artillery divisions because of this. Nerf of howitzer explosion range? Okay, maybe. Completely scrapping any kind of artillery useability? Please for the love of God, no. >.<
Artillery was in all fairness very strong. And as an artilleryman, I can support some of the changes made to Artillery. (the bouncing for instance)
On the other hand I dislike the increased randomness, however it did say in the patch preview a while ago that the devs intended to make a single artillery piece less powerful so that more would be included in an event. Which IMO only adds to the atmosphere.
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Warder

• First Lieutenant
  • 17e_SoD_EdmondDantes
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2013, 07:27:06 pm »
Well DevTeam in my opinion this is a bit pathetic. After 3 months of waiting for new patch u gave us only shitty heavy cav(Well, on normal NW heavy cav is just good unit against Inf, medium versus hussars, and shitty against lancers. On beta, they suck everywhere.) and some Pistoletovs(Russian naked pirates). I feel like 2 years ago when TW was changing the game after every singiel patch, now you are doing the same. 

Screen from beta:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:29:21 pm by Warder »

Offline Tjav

• Sergeant
  • Yes Im Wierd
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2013, 07:28:36 pm »
well, i have been playing artillery since the mod came out, both as in actual Regiment/Detachment or invite and even in public play, nerfing the accuracy is still if you ask me the wrong way to go, as you already said the cannons arent 100% accurate atm, but at long ranges where artillery is supposed to make regiments think of their battleground, we do now not have anything to say, if we aim at a line that is standing with their side to us, we use the fact that they messed up to get kills, i dont see any problems if all lines would be facing in our direction( more to shoot at) but to actually help poorly placed lines isnt that good, i like the idea the others came with that you should actually need atleast 2 ppl to fire a cannon, 1 aimer and 1 actual person to light the fuse. ofcourse im concerned about the rifle lower dmg but that just makes us want to either scavenge the battlefield for weapons, or just run like hell whenever possible (would be a pain in the arse in LB's) apart from that i actually think all the changes are really nice, i would give heavy cav some more slashing dmg tho or make them keep the longer swords so the hussars wont be the kings on the battlefield. sorry if my grammar sucks but i am just trying to pull things in the direction i think would benefit this wonderfull mod the most, also the blunderbuss thing, if you remove them from the dragoons, buff them a little since the only other ppl able to use them is now grenzers and partizani(and that is ofcourse random drop) just a little tiny buff so that they could actually make a change for a grenz in trouble
Former Chief Of Staff of the 2nd Coldstream, Rest In Peace

Offline Warder

• First Lieutenant
  • 17e_SoD_EdmondDantes
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2013, 07:32:55 pm »
would give heavy cav some more slashing dmg tho or make them keep the longer swords so the hussars wont be the kings on the battlefield.

Indeed, now you are going to change history of true Napoleonic Wars, when cuirassiers were the best cav soldiers, not hussars. Its pathetic that now light cav will destroy easily heavy cav.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:34:30 pm by Warder »

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2013, 07:39:37 pm »
I'm not trying to be mean, but this patch was rather disappointing...   :-[

Offline Crayon

• Sergeant
  • Major_Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »
The only things I dislike about the patch are the Heavy Cav weakening and the less accurate Arty.

The cav change has not been for the better, it has simply made hussars the best cav and removed the "terror" element of facing heavies which everyone loved.  The arty change has too severely lowered its capability.

ALSO:

Make Rifle Sergeants have the same accuracy as the rifle rankers, this has always bugged me. There is no reason they should have less accuracy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:51:29 pm by Crayon »
A Major Bastard

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2013, 07:49:25 pm »
Christ people... Stop saying it's "dissapointing" rather give usefull feedback so they can do something with it! Don't forget that this is the beta version and they can still change things! This aint the final version!

If you only say stuff like "it's sooo dissapointingggg" then obviously nothing will improve or get better.

Offline Warder

• First Lieutenant
  • 17e_SoD_EdmondDantes
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2013, 07:51:20 pm »
Okey so imo DevTeam should come back to old great cuirassiers. If fast hussars will be "Kings of bf" the best cav with that speed, it would be pathetic. Maybe now Cuirassiers, are strong, but remember that inf have time to prepare against them...:P

Offline Maniacal

• Volunteer
  • THIRTY-THIRD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2013, 07:52:30 pm »
I like the changes to artillery.

Still bewildered by the changes to horse health.

Offline pliplix

• Volunteer
    • View Profile

Offline Tjav

• Sergeant
  • Yes Im Wierd
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2013, 08:02:31 pm »
Christ people... Stop saying it's "dissapointing" rather give usefull feedback so they can do something with it! Don't forget that this is the beta version and they can still change things! This aint the final version!

If you only say stuff like "it's sooo dissapointingggg" then obviously nothing will improve or get better.

gokiller i just tried to
Former Chief Of Staff of the 2nd Coldstream, Rest In Peace

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »

It took 6 months to come out, they could've done something with it then and this was claimed to be the last patch to nw once the beta was over.

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2013, 08:08:02 pm »
It could be me, but if I am not wrong they were done earlier, but they waited for release? But in the end, the tips i'd give are the following;

-Add smaller detailed stuff, such as banners/new swords etc.
-Add more maps never played before, but I heard that's already a WIP;
-Add maybe one, or two new ships;
-Add marines for every nation, so that people won't just take 2 factions because of their extra troops;

Possibly, but most likely being ignored:

-Add side troops of factions not being used. Example, Brittain could have a Dutch regiment, as they fought together at waterloo. (Just an idea)

And that's it for now :P
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"