Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 106535 times)

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2013, 03:04:24 pm »
Turning arty into something more luck-based is step in the wrong direction, keeping 100% accuracy while returning to MM style of aiming (not being fixed to where the cannon is pointing at) would make them far more skill based.

Cannons weren't 100% accurate, though. They had a fairly high degree of inaccuracy at long ranges due to windage jut as Muskets did.

I agree that switching to the MM style of aiming would improve matters, but I think that artillery still need to maintain some level of inaccuracy. It can totally destroy the balance of a linebattle when a whole regiment can be taken out in one or two cannon shots - something that would never happen if we were playing to-scale. Sure, in public play it might make cannons slightly underpowered, but that's down to the compromise between LB balance and public play balance. It's difficult to tailor them to two very different game styles.
A degree of randomness is good, but it's no fun if it's going to be just like shooting with muskets.

Those arty-kills-whole-line shots are usually not the artillery guy being good but the line being bad. (extremely bad positioning, lack of awareness of artillery etc.)
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
  • Side: Union
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2013, 03:07:32 pm »
I need help I did the steam thing and when I try to join a server it wont let me (and yes I have compatible with module on)

It says I have the wrong version  :-\ :'(

Make sure you selected the beta from the drop down in the beta tab in steam.

Okay then thanks, by the way if I was to revert back, will I have all my stuff I mean skin-wise will all my skins be there or do I install them again?

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:19 pm »
Cannons always had a randomness of between 0 and 40 cm per second variance to the left/right/top/bottom

It now is random per shot between 0 and 60 cm per second.

I cannot stress enough the importance of making the list of players (the panel that comes up when you're looking to ban someone/kick someone) alphabetized. So instead, I'll just put it here in large, bright lettering, hoping that SOMEONE finally notices it and puts it into action. PLEASE release this with the patch as well, for the love of god and all that is holy/alcoholic.

MAKE THE PLAYER BAN/KICK LIST PANEL ALPHABETIZED FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY/ALCOHOLIC.

Rather have a filter in the admin panels where you can type part of the name, and then it only shows people with that part in their name.
Yeeaah I love that stuff buut too bad!

I begged, whined, cried and more for ages, but Taleworlds will simply not do it.
The engine does  not support any form of string (text) comparison, manipulation, searching, processing or anything of that sort.. :'(
Simply put, engine does not support anything to make this possible, and Taleworlds does not want to make it possible in the engine.

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2013, 03:11:28 pm »
If I was to revert back, will I have all my stuff I mean skin-wise will all my skins be there or do I install them again?

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2013, 03:15:14 pm »
Pretty sure you would still have them but they might've bugged out (I did the same yesterday :p)

Offline Oposum

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2013, 03:21:01 pm »

Cannons weren't 100% accurate, though. They had a fairly high degree of inaccuracy at long ranges due to windage jut as Muskets did.

I agree that switching to the MM style of aiming would improve matters, but I think that artillery still need to maintain some level of inaccuracy. It can totally destroy the balance of a linebattle when a whole regiment can be taken out in one or two cannon shots - something that would never happen if we were playing to-scale. Sure, in public play it might make cannons slightly underpowered, but that's down to the compromise between LB balance and public play balance. It's difficult to tailor them to two very different game styles.

I'm fine with small amounts of randomness, but increasing it to resemble musket-like accuracy will turn them into new rockets.

Ship men do ridiculous amounts of bounces with anything 1 handed, even normal officers get crapload of whiffs against bare-chested shipmen. Of course, I could be imagining things, but did anyone else notice it?

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »
If I was to revert back, will I have all my stuff I mean skin-wise will all my skins be there or do I install them again?

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »
Pretty sure you would still have them but they might've bugged out (I did the same yesterday :p)
:p

Offline Slayer

• Volunteer
  • A loaded gun is a good gun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Mrks_Slayer
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »
Rifle melee damage decrease looks fine to me, prior to patch they insta-killed horses which was a wee bit strange since cav is supposed to be their counter.

It might look fine to you but it is certainly NOT. In the previous patch it was nerfed from being able to kill light horses if they rode at you with full speed to being able to kill shit all. It's slower than bayonets and swords in melee, you can only consider the two sideswings to be somewhat effective and it does less damage than a bayonet. Nerfing the damage of it even further creates nothing but even more problems for skirmishers than they had before.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:48 pm »
I would advice against anyone trying to host a beta server!

First of all you don't have the new beta server dedicated executable, which creates bugs and incompatibility with the beta client executables.
Secondly, I can't monitor the server performance and errorslog and thus can't fix any problems that might arise.

Offline jordan de bretagne

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jordan//92nd_Alexander_MacFarlan
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2013, 03:56:05 pm »
Edit: Its ok, sorry
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:01:28 pm by jordan de bretagne »
92nd_Pvt_Alexander_MacFarlan

IVe_45e_SdtII_Jordan

Offline Gamer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Lt_Gamer
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2013, 04:02:20 pm »
I can understand cav being nerfed, everyone was complaining about it. But I have never heard anyone complain about the damage of rifles melee being OP... being someone who uses the rifle almost every event I am extremely lucky if I kill a guy in 2 or 3 swings, with a bayonet or a cav sword I'm extremely unlucky if I don't kill someone in one swing. Reducing the damage no mater how much is the wrong thing to do and do be quite honest I don't see how this came about. If this was done to balancing then I have absolutely no clue what the hell balanced is any more.

@MaHud, prior to the patch it would be extremely strange if I even managed to get a swing at a horse if I could reach it, or even swing before I get bumped or killed. Even if I did get to hit the horse with my rifle then it would take over 3 hits on average to kill any type of horse, of course a heavy horse it would take a lot more.

So with the rifle being shockingly bad, what am I going to use instead? The butterknife? Hell no, that thing is so short and useless I think it needs to be nerfed as well. So in conclusion, good luck to any skirmisher who doesn't pick up a bayonet and defeat the point of a skirmisher's accuracy bonus.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2013, 04:19:40 pm »
@Vince,

I geuss it is only possible for WSE then?

Rifle melee damage decrease looks fine to me, prior to patch they insta-killed horses which was a wee bit strange since cav is supposed to be their counter.

It might look fine to you but it is certainly NOT. In the previous patch it was nerfed from being able to kill light horses if they rode at you with full speed to being able to kill shit all. It's slower than bayonets and swords in melee, you can only consider the two sideswings to be somewhat effective and it does less damage than a bayonet. Nerfing the damage of it even further creates nothing but even more problems for skirmishers than they had before.

I played a few rounds as rifle last night, but there was no cav so I could not test it. The power of the rifle is also though that the animations are far more prone to abusing. But in any case, I will make sure to try and fight with a rifle vs horses to see how much it changed in my opinion. :)
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline James Clark

• Donator
  • ex-91st GroupFighting admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jimmy
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2013, 04:45:50 pm »
Oh, some good news! Will try it. :D

Offline Wickaman

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2013, 05:57:43 pm »
Sorry, but I really, REALLY think artillery needs to be left alone. It seems to have become more of an aesthetic, rather than an actual, useful tool on the battlefield. Players are comfortable with the risk that artillery present, and that's what adds to the tension. Now if someone spots a cannon aiming at their line, it's completely irrelevant, as that cannonball will likely go spinning out of control in completely the wrong direction anyway!

I've already heard people in regiments saying they'll be leaving their artillery divisions because of this. Nerf of howitzer explosion range? Okay, maybe. Completely scrapping any kind of artillery useability? Please for the love of God, no. >.<   

87th L/Bdr Wickham