Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 106519 times)

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2013, 09:45:42 am »
Tali, how would you increase the skill of using the artillery? Since you mentioned there are "so many ways" but didn't actually mention any supposed fix :P

Oh, but I did. :)

As shorty said, removing the retcicle would be a good idea, as you'll have to use earlier shots for reference. Hitting will be harder, but will be more rewarding once you get those 5+ hits.

Other then this, you could increase the reload time for 12 pounders. I'm not saying they are not to strong, I'm just saying making them random is a bad way to go. I mean, compared to how fast firing cannons were back then, the NW cannons are similiar to machine guns.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2013, 09:52:14 am »
the only issue i have is those damn pirate voices,,im sure a british naval officer would sound like that....

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2013, 10:27:09 am »
Tali, how would you increase the skill of using the artillery? Since you mentioned there are "so many ways" but didn't actually mention any supposed fix :P

Oh, but I did. :)

As shorty said, removing the retcicle would be a good idea, as you'll have to use earlier shots for reference. Hitting will be harder, but will be more rewarding once you get those 5+ hits.

Other then this, you could increase the reload time for 12 pounders. I'm not saying they are not to strong, I'm just saying making them random is a bad way to go. I mean, compared to how fast firing cannons were back then, the NW cannons are similiar to machine guns.
Ah sorry, I didn't count removing the reticule because IMO it won't help at all. People will just put stickers on their screen or have an overlay which will only give cheaters an advantage.
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
  • Side: Union
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2013, 10:36:47 am »
Ehrm might be a noobie question, but how do I remove the beta so I can play my other mods? :P

Nvm, I tried removing the beta in the beta tab, but it didnt work until I restarted steam!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:38:27 am by The Norseman »
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2013, 10:43:01 am »
hm so u can remove it... :)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2013, 12:02:40 pm »
All of the changes seem to be for the better (considerably so for most of them) in helping to keep it balanced and fun to play.

Thank you to the Dev team!

- Fixed a bug in the admin panel that it sometimes selected the wrong player, or does not work at all when clicking a player.

Nice! The beacon feature will finally love me! ;D

Offline Oposum

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:42 pm »
While you're fixing teleport bugs, it's possible to teleport thru walls while using rocket launcher. If you set it up while looking at the wall, they will be placed inside it and after you reload it, you can start aiming for the other side of the wall which teleports you right thru it.

Turning arty into something more luck-based is step in the wrong direction, keeping 100% accuracy while returning to MM style of aiming (not being fixed to where the cannon is pointing at) would make them far more skill based.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2013, 01:05:29 pm »
After spending 10 minutes trying to hit a gigantic fortress with a cannon from a frigate, I have given up and massively dislike the arty changes. Cannonballs just go straight down to the bottom of the ocean and sometimes just dissapear outright. Not even my spyglass allowed me to find these "cannonballs".

@ Oposum, that would be good yeah. Though I would also like it then if you have one guy aiming and another guy igniting/firing, so you need to have more coordination.

Also, since you made sappers drop their spades. I hope that you will do the same for ramrods. It's annoying in LBs where there is limited spaces to loose your ramrod. Of course you can drop it on the floor but there is chances it will get nicked / despawned. And it sucks in melee nowadays. Doesn't stop horses, hardly does any damage.
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2013, 01:32:35 pm »
Turning arty into something more luck-based is step in the wrong direction, keeping 100% accuracy while returning to MM style of aiming (not being fixed to where the cannon is pointing at) would make them far more skill based.

Cannons weren't 100% accurate, though. They had a fairly high degree of inaccuracy at long ranges due to windage jut as Muskets did.

I agree that switching to the MM style of aiming would improve matters, but I think that artillery still need to maintain some level of inaccuracy. It can totally destroy the balance of a linebattle when a whole regiment can be taken out in one or two cannon shots - something that would never happen if we were playing to-scale. Sure, in public play it might make cannons slightly underpowered, but that's down to the compromise between LB balance and public play balance. It's difficult to tailor them to two very different game styles.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »
Do we need the TW beta patch? I am looking for it has someone got a link?
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40:20 pm »
You don't need the TW beta patch AFAIK. It may help though, I was playing yesterday (without TW beta) and got a few red errors on the profile selection screen, but in-game it worked fine.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »
I updated my first post, going to add another comment now.

Offline Aldemar

• Donator
  • 84e Prison Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2013, 02:13:23 pm »

Cannons weren't 100% accurate, though. They had a fairly high degree of inaccuracy at long ranges due to windage jut as Muskets did.

I agree that switching to the MM style of aiming would improve matters, but I think that artillery still need to maintain some level of inaccuracy. It can totally destroy the balance of a linebattle when a whole regiment can be taken out in one or two cannon shots - something that would never happen if we were playing to-scale. Sure, in public play it might make cannons slightly underpowered, but that's down to the compromise between LB balance and public play balance. It's difficult to tailor them to two very different game styles.

a good arty man can shoot there where he wants, so the changes are good ;)

remember this

Offline TheSamuraiOfNapoleon

• Private
  • Professional Pistol Sniper
    • View Profile
    • www.TheXI.enjin.com
  • Nick: [44th]Pte_Samurai
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:53 pm »
YAY :DD

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2013, 03:02:34 pm »

And lines werent made out of 15 guys running around in a very flexible formation.

Historical lines were large, cumbersome and slow. It didnt matter that the artillery was inaccurate, it would still hit some part of the line.