Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 106514 times)

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
  • add regwilliam to join 1stNJ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: William
  • Side: Union
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2013, 05:00:24 am »
1. this patch hurts cav that is good
2. ships battles
3.new maps 
all is all good work keep it up we aint done with NW till battle cry of freedom come out dont forget that

Offline Holland

• Second Lieutenant
  • Still can't block
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Holland/Travis
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2013, 06:01:53 am »
"- Added pirate voices for the british ship crew."

Ohh lawdy
The Commissariat of Outstanding* Men is Recruiting! Already be my friend to join!

Offline Nicos

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2013, 08:06:13 am »
Great!

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2013, 08:09:03 am »
This update was a disappointment
Nothing actually added
You all repackaged the 84e maps for everyone, added 1 ship static prop, and Pirates or as I like to say: Gay Partizans.

That's because its a patch and not an expansion/DLC.

I know people have high hopes for additional content but I doubt that is really feasible in the short term when most of their resources are concentrated on BCOF. Also there's a limit to how much you can add resource wise and how far you can go without the source code (which wasn't given by TW).

I think the Marines and Officers shouldn't have the pirate voices, as they do get grating pretty fast.

Would be good to limit it to the half naked lads since marines and officers tended to be highly disciplined.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:13:05 am by Rejenorst »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Nicos

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2013, 08:47:23 am »
If i updated to beta how i can get back on the old patch?

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2013, 08:49:07 am »
On steam or non-steam?

Offline Maniacal

• Volunteer
  • THIRTY-THIRD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2013, 08:56:33 am »
Reduced the health of all medium and heavy horses to balance their classes.
How was this even a balance issue? Medium horses barely seemed to have anymore health than light horses and heavy horses often died from one hit enough as it is.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:59:09 am by Maniacal »

Offline Nicos

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2013, 08:57:03 am »

Offline Shortshorts

• Major General
  • I love memes
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 60th_Lt_Shortshorts
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2013, 09:02:08 am »
- Reduced the length of the cavalry swords a bit, they had ghostly long range.
I can agree upon the fact that the heavy cavalry sword was silly when used on the ground, but I never had the experience that it was too much on horseback. In a fight between hussars and heavy cav I never saw the heavy cav as being better, to the contrary, they where usually quite easily countered due to their lack of speed. Lancers are another story, what they need is their attack speed slowed, as of now a lancer who knows what he is doing has no reason to ever get killed in melee, their lance is simply too spammable.
- Made all artillery less accurate on long range to balance the powerful destruction force.
Remove the reticule instead.
- Reduced the range an explosion would have by 30%, to balance the extremely powerful howitzers and mortars.
No point, the howitzers are hard enough to use as it is in linebattles, so on top of having inferior ranged capacity to the regular cannons you also want it to have an even smaller explosion? Why? It's hardly as overpowered as you claim, no need for a nerf IMO. Mortars sure, but not howitzers.
- Made cannonballs lose more force on ground hit and bounce less to make them less unstoppable.
Haven't tested, but I still feel that the best way to nerf it would be to remove the reticule.
- Made pistols some more accurate, it will now really hit within the player visible circle, to balance them, the reload is now slightly slower though.
Spoiler
[close]
- Decreased the damage the rifle in melee would inflict, they were more powerful than most real melee weapons
Que? I can understand nerfing the Russian and Austrian cav muskets, those things have senseless range and speed, but the regular rifles? They are more powerful than what exactly, butterknifes? It sounded like insanity when we heard about it 5 months ago, and you certainly didn't disappoint. One on one a rifleman will only beat an opponent armed with a bayonet if he's simply better than him, the bayonet can spam faster, has more range and damage. Explain to me what you're actually trying to put it in line with.
- Reduced the health of all medium and heavy horses to balance their classes.
So, why wouldn't I want to play as a hussar now? They already dominated the other(excluding lancers, class of their own) cavalry classes one on one, in groupfighting and was more or less equally good at dealing with infantry. Why the change?
- Made the armor points of the british cavalry helmets to be on par with other factions helmets.
Step in the right direction, now give them hussars and the world will rejoice.
- Removed the blunderbuss from the selection for russian dragoon cavalry they were too powerfull for that class.
Spoiler
[close]

End notes/desires: By the grace of glorious alcohol make the admin ban/kick/slay/etc. options list people in alphabetical order.
Make the officer smallswords completely useless, because that would be reasonable given your thinking behind the rifle butts being too good. They are more powerful than most "real" melee weapons, right?

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2013, 09:07:07 am »
On steam or non-steam?
Steam
Then go under the part where you changed it to beta and switch back.

Offline Nicos

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:22 am »

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2013, 09:18:00 am »
This update was a disappointment
Nothing actually added
You all repackaged the 84e maps for everyone, added 1 ship static prop, and Pirates or as I like to say: Gay Partizans.
How is that different from what was told that would be in the patch?
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2013, 09:19:50 am »
Once again you have "nerfed" artillery, albeit in the wrong direction. It now requires more luck then skill, especially at longer ranges, to land hits with the 12 Pounder. As if the randomness wasnt enough last turn around. There is so many ways you could balance artillery to require more skill, instead of requring luck.

As shorty said, removing the retcicle would be a good idea, as you'll have to use earlier shots for reference. Hitting will be harder, but will be more rewarding once you get those 5+ hits.

Other then that, you have pretty much cemented the role of the hussar as the superior cavalry class now. Shorter range and less hitpoints for other mounted classes, which wasn't needed at all, will just further increase the advantage that Hussars have in Cavalry Vs Cavalry fights.

What incentive is there to go the class which can now only be described as "Beached Wale Class" over the faster, more agile Hussars.

In a Cavalry fights, the most important factor is speed and agility, or movement speed and turning speed. With these, you will dominate the fight and you can decide when to attack, meaning that you have the option to only attack when it benefits you. Range ( As in light cavalry sabre -> Heavy Cavalry sabre) and hitpoints have a very small effect on the outcome.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:18 am »
:)

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2013, 09:42:19 am »
I was only able to use the 12 pounder on one map so far, which didn't really allow me to check up on the increased randomness much, but the bouncing was reduced to 1 or 2 bounces at most. Which is IMO pretty good as that means it will take more skill to hit. (have to aim dead on, and not just "roughly" "there")

Tali, how would you increase the skill of using the artillery? Since you mentioned there are "so many ways" but didn't actually mention any supposed fix :P

I am worried about the Howitzer, since it's way harder to use than the 12-pounder, has limited range, seemed to be more random already and now has an even lower explosive range? I haven't been able to test it yet on the beta patch though.

Rifle melee damage decrease looks fine to me, prior to patch they insta-killed horses which was a wee bit strange since cav is supposed to be their counter.

The immobilised cannons look way stronger now, being able to turn all around and doesn't seem very random when shooting.

[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?