Author Topic: NW Decade Awards  (Read 25826 times)

Offline Xethos

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik_Marshal_Xethos
  • Side: Neutral
Re: NW Decade Awards[Nominations Open]
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2021, 09:25:32 am »
Spoiler
one of? dude, NOBODY can even come close to what that dude did. anyone who thinks someone else is a better sapper than juice kelly is delusional

as far as arty goes, bear and yooper were always really good and they carried godfreid and i to the ship battle championship no cap
[close]

Nobody ever beat him in building camping, but there were a couple of people who figured out how to bomb the balcony on Arabian Harbor. Although thinking on it, I remember Juice Kelly building elevated platforms for artillery on random maps within a minute, which I don't remember anybody else doing.

Joshly, Gamechanger/Richard, and Munro come to mind for artillery. Munro even got a Thundersnow animation for a signature because of his cannons in MM. More recently, JJ and German Gunner.

Spoiler
That's why I've always put the PLG and LIR in my top regiments of all time. They were so consistently good at what they did and lasted for years. People overlook them all the time even though they are two of the most well-known regiments to exist in the game.
[close]
Everyone forgets too that the PLG started out as infantry, and were actually good at it. I don't remember if Pepper led it originally or if Ice did, but they started as the 1erVL. I still rate the 2013 PLG as the single best NA cav lineup in the game. For what it's worth, the 1LH started the same way, as the . . . 8thRI, I think. They changed names at least once.

I'd probably rate the LIR more highly if they didn't depend so heavily on their regimental lawyer to function for so long. That said, Jetch is the kind of player who I think gets underrated because he didn't focus on bayonets. He was decent at it, reasonably good as a cav player, knew how to get kills with cannons and howitzers, and he could do all of that while micromanaging three detachments and typing essays in internal about how an officer attacking by himself isn't really ramboing if his sergeant is donating to the server box fund.

I still want to rate Smithy's Marins at or near the top just because they did everything with the same group of people and won at just about everything. This being before they quit playing by, what, 2013 because they hated the upstab replacing the awlpike overswing that MM had.

Spoiler
But really, the majority of competitions for this game where for melee infantry and for regimental 1v1s so I would think most people would believe that the best player at those skillsets would be the "Best Player" so that's why everyone discusses it. At that, we barely have enough people to discuss it, the most popular activity. When going into other aspects even fewer people remember.
[close]

Everybody in the NA cavalry community hated each other too much to do many tournaments, and basically none of the top cav players wanted to do anything competitive when cav was at its peak. There's just no data for cav, and I get the inevitable limitations to talking about cav players that causes. That and, even if there were stats from over the years, K/D means substantially less in cav groupfighting than infantry groupfighting. I don't even know how to begin ranking artillery players other than watching them extensively . . . something you can't do to compare, say, Niko to Joshly.

That said, I don't think the correct response to being unable to identify minute differences between cav or arty players is to completely write off every non-infantry class. Playing at a comparatively high level in several different classes is harder than playing at a high level in one class. I couldn't do it, even back when I was passable at cav. It's become a lost art, and I don't think that's a good thing. Surely having more than one skill counts for something.
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2021, 10:06:33 am »
Spoiler
Since we're having old conversations anyway . . .

There are a lot of things to do in NW that take some skill and game knowledge to be good at. Nobody really ever talks about the top artillerists. Cavalry has a wierd place now, but it's been irrelevent in North America for long enough that nobody even remembers the old cav players (except for me, because I don't shut up about it). Shinto at least remembers one of the top sappers ever from his days as a roving walnut. There were even people back in the day who could do it all. Even entire regiments who did it all (not even talking about detachments like the 63e had).

That the entire "best player ever" discussion is solely based on who could best use one weapon as one class, and that the best regiment based on league 1v1s and bayonet melee is all a little sad. Most of the listed regiments couldn't even form double ranks unless they had fifteen minutes and tape on the ground, let alone fast enough to fire and move before artillery landed. How many of them could play anything other than infantry at a reasonably competitive level?

These lists are a joke considering they really only consider competitive infantry which is a huge circle jerk anyways. Most of the players can only use muskets and can’t play anything else. Most cav players honestly can do it all from what I’ve seen. Not to mention 1LH who is rarely mentioned yet did very well against these regiments despite only playing cav (along with the IV). If you’re going to have a decade awards list, maybe mention more factors or label it for just infantry. Kinda pointless making the same lists over and over when it’s just the same 20 infantry guys arguing over and over again.
This is something that someone who has never been nominated for a NW Award would say smh
[close]
Just loses validity IMO when it’s focused on one group of players who only really know about infantry. You’d think if you spent years on a game, you’d at least branch out a little bit. But whatever makes you feel better.

You do realize these are the NW Awards right?

Spoiler
Spoiler
one of? dude, NOBODY can even come close to what that dude did. anyone who thinks someone else is a better sapper than juice kelly is delusional

as far as arty goes, bear and yooper were always really good and they carried godfreid and i to the ship battle championship no cap
[close]

Nobody ever beat him in building camping, but there were a couple of people who figured out how to bomb the balcony on Arabian Harbor. Although thinking on it, I remember Juice Kelly building elevated platforms for artillery on random maps within a minute, which I don't remember anybody else doing.

Joshly, Gamechanger/Richard, and Munro come to mind for artillery. Munro even got a Thundersnow animation for a signature because of his cannons in MM. More recently, JJ and German Gunner.

Spoiler
That's why I've always put the PLG and LIR in my top regiments of all time. They were so consistently good at what they did and lasted for years. People overlook them all the time even though they are two of the most well-known regiments to exist in the game.
[close]
Everyone forgets too that the PLG started out as infantry, and were actually good at it. I don't remember if Pepper led it originally or if Ice did, but they started as the 1erVL. I still rate the 2013 PLG as the single best NA cav lineup in the game. For what it's worth, the 1LH started the same way, as the . . . 8thRI, I think. They changed names at least once.

I'd probably rate the LIR more highly if they didn't depend so heavily on their regimental lawyer to function for so long. That said, Jetch is the kind of player who I think gets underrated because he didn't focus on bayonets. He was decent at it, reasonably good as a cav player, knew how to get kills with cannons and howitzers, and he could do all of that while micromanaging three detachments and typing essays in internal about how an officer attacking by himself isn't really ramboing if his sergeant is donating to the server box fund.

I still want to rate Smithy's Marins at or near the top just because they did everything with the same group of people and won at just about everything. This being before they quit playing by, what, 2013 because they hated the upstab replacing the awlpike overswing that MM had.

Spoiler
But really, the majority of competitions for this game where for melee infantry and for regimental 1v1s so I would think most people would believe that the best player at those skillsets would be the "Best Player" so that's why everyone discusses it. At that, we barely have enough people to discuss it, the most popular activity. When going into other aspects even fewer people remember.
[close]

Everybody in the NA cavalry community hated each other too much to do many tournaments, and basically none of the top cav players wanted to do anything competitive when cav was at its peak. There's just no data for cav, and I get the inevitable limitations to talking about cav players that causes. That and, even if there were stats from over the years, K/D means substantially less in cav groupfighting than infantry groupfighting. I don't even know how to begin ranking artillery players other than watching them extensively . . . something you can't do to compare, say, Niko to Joshly.

That said, I don't think the correct response to being unable to identify minute differences between cav or arty players is to completely write off every non-infantry class. Playing at a comparatively high level in several different classes is harder than playing at a high level in one class. I couldn't do it, even back when I was passable at cav. It's become a lost art, and I don't think that's a good thing. Surely having more than one skill counts for something.
[close]
Sorry King, I can't hear you in the Mess Hall, maybe I could if this was a child board.
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline 19boboy97

• First Lieutenant
  • Gotta Catch 'Em All!
    • View Profile
    • FSE cat girl
  • Nick: Cat Girl Trainer
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2021, 11:12:20 am »

Offline Steinmann

• King of Börk
  • Brigadier General
  • Mutual Owning with Elsse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2021, 11:45:39 am »
Irish is top 1 NA

Offline Kraz

• CIS Spanker
  • Colonel
  • cool guy
    • View Profile
  • Nick: wódka jest fajna
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2021, 12:04:49 pm »
sztinman

Offline Godsworn Alexiel

• Corporal
  • peepochrist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2021, 12:07:33 pm »
Obligatory Kelly’s Rangers nominated for all categories post
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:09:57 pm by Godsworn Alexiel »
i can deadlift 700 pounds

chadlite in training

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2021, 01:59:54 pm »
Irish is top 1 NA

Finally a man who gets it

Offline Python | Smeagol

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: The Team'#039#039#039#039#039s Teamkil
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2021, 02:41:25 pm »
Since we're having old conversations anyway . . .

There are a lot of things to do in NW that take some skill and game knowledge to be good at. Nobody really ever talks about the top artillerists. Cavalry has a wierd place now, but it's been irrelevent in North America for long enough that nobody even remembers the old cav players (except for me, because I don't shut up about it). Shinto at least remembers one of the top sappers ever from his days as a roving walnut. There were even people back in the day who could do it all. Even entire regiments who did it all (not even talking about detachments like the 63e had).

That the entire "best player ever" discussion is solely based on who could best use one weapon as one class, and that the best regiment based on league 1v1s and bayonet melee is all a little sad. Most of the listed regiments couldn't even form double ranks unless they had fifteen minutes and tape on the ground, let alone fast enough to fire and move before artillery landed. How many of them could play anything other than infantry at a reasonably competitive level?

These lists are a joke considering they really only consider competitive infantry which is a huge circle jerk anyways. Most of the players can only use muskets and can’t play anything else. Most cav players honestly can do it all from what I’ve seen. Not to mention 1LH who is rarely mentioned yet did very well against these regiments despite only playing cav (along with the IV). If you’re going to have a decade awards list, maybe mention more factors or label it for just infantry. Kinda pointless making the same lists over and over when it’s just the same 20 infantry guys arguing over and over again.

the only cav player who's also good infantry is shadey lol.

Sure, some aspects of cavalry are very skilful but not on the level/as much as compared to infantry imo

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2021, 02:56:00 pm »
I don't see how casual regiments and players are any relevant in a discussion about the best regiment and player. You probably can do a category for each, competitive reg, casual reg and cav, but if we talk the best player anything other than competitive inf is literally irrelevant as musket infantry is arguably the hardest class to master.
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Rikkert

• Brigadier General
  • Zout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2021, 03:05:20 pm »
Arty 'skill' is simply unquantifiable. Yes there is skill to knowing the range, but that is quite easy to learn. In LB's arty relies on ur opponents being absolutely fucking blind or simply not paying attention, not your personal skill. You can learn some tricks on how you can bounce cannonballs over hills or how you can fire cannonballs through the top of a hill, but that is about it. These tricks are not very difficult to learn and can only be used very situationally.

There are not many cav players who are good at inf. Shadey is good at both but became good at comp inf first afaik. Ilypa is above average at both.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:07:34 pm by Rikkert »

Offline [Stryker]

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 92nd CSjt
    • View Profile
    • My Yt Channel
  • Nick: Stryker
  • Side: Union
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2021, 03:16:34 pm »
I don't see how casual regiments and players are any relevant in a discussion about the best regiment and player. You probably can do a category for each, competitive reg, casual reg and cav, but if we talk the best player anything other than competitive inf is literally irrelevant as musket infantry is arguably the hardest class to master.
In my opinion the best players are loyal, moral, ethical, dedicated, and good friends, melees just a potential bonus

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2021, 04:48:00 pm »
3eVolt should be considered the best regiment of the decade, it's the only regiment that's had a consistent competitive impact in pretty much every era of competitive NW, I would say its peak skill doesn't quite match the LG's S9 roster, because no one does, but if we're really talking about a decade and not month-long or 1-2 year spans, it should be 3eVolt, which was competitive since 2013 (although has disbanded/reformed a few times).

If 63e had continued to be relevant past mid-2016 I would potentially consider them, but I think 3eVolt continuing past that gives it the edge, but otherwise, kind of the same list fartknocker has.
All the reforms make it really hard to rank the 3e imo
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Zzehth

• Donator
  • NANWL Co-Founder
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mexico is part of NA, damn gringos
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2021, 05:16:59 pm »
3eVolt is a top 5 NA regiment all time or top 3 (debatable), but its a joke to say it was the best during the decade. 3e was always on 12th's and 63e's shadow. Those 2 regiments had to disband to finally achieve something. (2012-2015?). I could be wrong, havent played anything competetive after 2015.

I agree AsianP (duel/gf)/Tammo(duel) as the best player of the decade.
Russian indeed is the best player after 2016.

Or just start bringing "palmares" of all regiments, and make a real comparison.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:24:03 pm by Zzehth »
Father of the NA Competitive Scene

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2021, 05:38:26 pm »
3eVolt is a top 5 NA regiment all time or top 3 (debatable), but its a joke to say it was the best during the decade. 3e was always on 12th's and 63e's shadow. Those 2 regiments had to disband to finally achieve something. (2012-2015?). I could be wrong, havent played anything competetive after 2015.

63e finishing top 2 in NWL the first 6 seasons is pretty impressive.

Offline Zzehth

• Donator
  • NANWL Co-Founder
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mexico is part of NA, damn gringos
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2021, 06:02:30 pm »

63e finishing top 2 in NWL the first 6 seasons is pretty impressive.

Yeah, 63e won 2x nwl and almost got their 3rd but the 71st took it hehe (Season 3, closest season ever)
Father of the NA Competitive Scene