Author Topic: Do people take this game too seriously  (Read 5720 times)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
Re: Do people take this game too seriously
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 12:54:06 am »
You forgot about Wendy's. And Arby's. And Roy Rogers. And Carl Jr. And Sonic. Should I go on?
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 12:55:08 am »
You forgot about Five Guys, Burgers and Fries!

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 01:28:03 am »
They do. And it leads to really embarrassing and needless drama.

Offline Theophilos

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 07:31:45 am »
Those admins have no great power in real life so they hold on to it as best they can. Some might be a little young, I heard one admin is only 16. But power, even virtually, can have some effects on people. Many will start to take even a virtual volunteer job as a duty which they must do or else the world will collapse. Some might be sadistic and just like to punish for no other reason than to put themselves in a greater position simply in their own mind.  Nothing will change them, but I will say yes people take this game much too seriously. For some people this game has become their life in a way, as with all games. So one can expect some disturbed people. like me.

Offline Crusader

• First Lieutenant
  • EU Senior Admin of NW, Saturday Linebattle Hoster
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 52nd_King_Adminborn_Crusader
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 06:25:37 pm »
Do people take this game too seriously?

Well, allow me to ask you, do people take Battlegrounds 2 seriously, or LoL when there is $1 million to win, or when x y z or a b c leads to u v w?

People take this game seriously because it adds a sense of roleplay into the game, it turns the otherwise RPG element of warband into a heightened sense of RolePlayingGame, people enjoy it and that is why they play it as they do. Hell it gets boring playing any game on your own after a while, it is fun to play with others, to have structure and even to win when things get competitive.

Now onto the admin part:

You have contradicted yourself within your first two posts.

Firstly it's OTT if the admin bans someone for breaking the rules and ruins your fun, and then it's ok if they do it multiple times, then where do we draw the line? After the 10th? 20th? 100th? We can debate this all day, rules are in place to make sure everyone can enjoy the game without people jumping in server and ruining it for others which then leads to a spiral of decline of population.

Allow me to assure you that all admins act on what they see, if someone is mass teamkilling then he will be banned for it, admins also act with discretion so if something is meant to insult someon in a 'homophobic slur' then it will be acted on, if someone merely stated 'that was gay' i have yet to see anyone banned for that. Furthermore admins will not ban someone for a first offence, if it continues to go into gross abuse then yes they will be banned for it - yet this is only on certain things, not everything.

I can quite proudly say this admin team is the best i have worked with, i have admined on other games, mods, forums, etc and i have yet to see a group of admins that actually works together, gets on and does not abuse their power. In my time as EU Senior Admin i haven't received a single complaint about an admin due to abuse, mis-judgement, or breaking the rules themselves.

Von_Bismarck - that may be true about freedom of speech yet does freedom of speech include racism and homophobic slurs? Are you allowed to go into a public place and start abusing people with racial slurs or homophobic slurs. If you were being racist then you can be arrested, if you are homophobic and are harassing people then you can be fired from your work place and in extreme cases even arrested. So if someone is being arrested for 'freedom of speech' then is it truly freedom of speech? Furthermore the internet is one of the hardest things to police and govern for there are countless ways to get around things. The FSE privately fund the servers so everyone can play on them, so of course there will be rules to follow.

And now i come to my favourite part:

Those admins have no great power in real life so they hold on to it as best they can. Some might be a little young, I heard one admin is only 16. But power, even virtually, can have some effects on people. Many will start to take even a virtual volunteer job as a duty which they must do or else the world will collapse. Some might be sadistic and just like to punish for no other reason than to put themselves in a greater position simply in their own mind.  Nothing will change them, but I will say yes people take this game much too seriously. For some people this game has become their life in a way, as with all games. So one can expect some disturbed people. like me.

Our admins are not power hungry - simple as that. Nor do they let any regimental, personal, pharmaceutical, or any other influences they may have affect their decisions. If this was the case then they would be removed from admins imple as that. Moreover stating that here is the only power these people have is complete nosense. As you do not know these admins IRL then you cannot comment about their RL, if you did  you would not be making sure a petty remark.

Admins are allowed to permanently ban (log ban) players from the servers in extreme circumstances, most rule breakings will land you with a > warn, slay, or a temp ban and it rarely ever goes further than that. Admins are in place to make sure the server continues to run without their being people to ruin the fun for others, hence why admins are there to make sure that the server is maintained to a high degree.

I hope this has cleared some things up, if you want any more information you can PM me or post here, either way i will continue to ask answer any questions

Regards

Crusader
EU Senior Admin
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:29:43 pm by Crusader »
I hereby present Crusader with the Blobdominican medal for Bravery above and beyond the call of duty in his role as AdminBorn of the FSE servers. We have also arranged some lovely flowers & a kitten to commemorate the occasion.
Thanks Crusader for all of your work in the community!
[/quote]

Offline warband_ruined_my_life

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 07:37:28 pm »
@ Crusader you bring up some valid points and i agree but once again
it does not excuse admins kicking or even temp banning people who are just having a little harmless fist fight.

How do admins know they are friends? simple, go spec tate and after 10 seconds it can be obvious when its between friends, or a guy randoming people and ruining the game.

Next, come on, giving somebody a one hit punch on a server with a 1 per cent damage rate for friendly fire is hardly worthy of an hour ban is it.

I know you can say well it will start with punches then mele then an all out tking, but it doesnt work that way, in this kind of game if somebody wants to kill you they will go all out and mele you till you are dead, somebody whos simply punching you wants a bit of fun thats all, not worthy of a ban.

And what is with the constant admin font ringing all over the screen like some fox news ticker update (anyone who plays the big servers regularly the last few months will know this), its extremely distracting from the game.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 07:38:35 pm »
So take it up with the server owners, or host your own server? I don't see what the issue is here.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 07:44:53 pm »
I kind of agree with you. There are too many rules, especially on the official servers, that prevent people from actually spending time with friends and having fun. There are words that many people use, that they don't mean in the context that the admins think. Example? Sure.

Player gets into a bayonet fight, lag happens, he misses the block.
Player: Oh, come on. That's so gay.
Admin perma-bans him for the use of a "homophobic" (Which is not real, it's homosexual) slur.
Admin: Do not use homophobic slurs on our server. Thanks.

Obviously, the use of the word "gay" was not meant in context that Player meant. And, furthermore... most of these admins just ban, ban, and ban without giving warnings. They expect everyone to go to a forum that most people don't even know exists and read the 100+ rules for these servers that are incredibly strict.

I usually don't mind teamkills, it's just a game. However, the only time i start asking for an admin is when someone consistently teamkills me, persistently calls me derogatory terms (again, I don't mind them ever here and there), trolls and griefs (don't mind it too much), etc.

I just wanted to say that using the word gay in a none offending way should not be that bad espacilly since gay is the word homesexual people seem to use when there talking about them selfs fagget on the other hand is a bit harsh and is a negative and (how ýou say it. uh.) you know a word that makes it seem like you are looking down on people but still who cares if someone curses as long as you don't curse at someone? I mean it might sound filthy but we all do it now a days and getting banned for something like that is just ridiculous.

Offline Sleek

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 08:28:31 pm »
are u saying that I am not allowed to be power hungry
Quote from: Theodin
Sleek somehow only attacks when he’s successfully pulled a dude away and his team is coming to help - as in, the most reasonable time to continue blocking

Sleek plays like he's underwater - slow

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 08:52:48 pm »
Admins can't be power hungry, they have this 'power' already.

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 08:53:27 pm »

Glad you replied

When im on NW servers you are a main culprit, you are constantly spamming the big admin pink font across the screen saying things like `dont do this dont do that`.

The answer is always that you are preventing trolls from ruining peoples fun, but do you not think you are ruining the fun of the game and distracting players with big font popping up on the screen all the time

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 09:05:11 pm »
If you don't like the server go play on another server. Don't see the big deal of this?

Offline Sleek

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 09:12:38 pm »

Glad you replied

When im on NW servers you are a main culprit, you are constantly spamming the big admin pink font across the screen saying things like `dont do this dont do that`.

The answer is always that you are preventing trolls from ruining peoples fun, but do you not think you are ruining the fun of the game and distracting players with big font popping up on the screen all the time

Spamming is not the same thing as telling wrongdoers every 5-10 minutes to stop teamwounding and teamkilling. Am I supposed to not prevent trolls from ruining people's fun? Am I wrong? Some people just want to play the game without a bunch of trolls taking away their health before they even see an enemy. How is that fun for the victim involved in the case? What has the victim done wrong? nothing, so why should we not try to help them out and punish the person who instigated the teamwounding? That is ruining the fun for the trolls, not ruining the fun for the players who actually want to play. If you have a problem with the big font popping up, then go on another server where trolls can roam free, because I can assure you, it won't be on any official servers.
Quote from: Theodin
Sleek somehow only attacks when he’s successfully pulled a dude away and his team is coming to help - as in, the most reasonable time to continue blocking

Sleek plays like he's underwater - slow

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 09:15:35 pm »

Glad you replied

Well, what can you expect from him? He uses homophobic slurs in the groupfighting servers even when he is an admin in the official servers.. so ironic ..
An admin is supposed to be a example to follow for the rest of the players but in this case I don't think he even knows what means -ethic-
The system is broken clearly.

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 09:20:47 pm »
If you don't like the server go play on another server. Don't see the big deal of this?

We people buy the game and have a right to play on any server we choose.

Secondly i am not defending trolls, i am merely questioning this gestapo like admin approach