Author Topic: Regarding Cavalry  (Read 8180 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Regarding Cavalry
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 04:14:54 am »
Cavalry used en masse is a powerful force and if used right they can change the outcome of an entire battle, that's the way it is in the game, and that's the way it was in reality. I really don't see the point in griping about this, sure cavalry are strong, however they have fewer numbers, and only dragoons have guns but they're balanced by shite sword skills. It all works out to be balanced,  cavalry can be repelled if done right just as cavalry can destroy multiple regiments if done right.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 07:05:32 am »
Cavalry used en masse is a powerful force and if used right they can change the outcome of an entire battle, that's the way it is in the game, and that's the way it was in reality. I really don't see the point in griping about this, sure cavalry are strong, however they have fewer numbers, and only dragoons have guns but they're balanced by shite sword skills. It all works out to be balanced,  cavalry can be repelled if done right just as cavalry can destroy multiple regiments if done right.

Not griping, I simply wanted to open it up for discussion.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Jishnu

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • All Praise Lord GabeN!!!
  • Nick: Lord Commander Jish
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 07:47:56 am »
Cavalry is definitely overpowered when Jishnu is on a horse!

But I do not think that cavalry is overpowered. It is just that many cavalry regiments make sure they only fight battles they can win. It would obviously be foolish for them to attack a line that is prepared for a cavalry attack. I wish cavalry could actually do more damage just by charging a player with a horse. Usually they can bump someone to stop the block and then slice them up, but I wish you could just trample people with your horse. That being said, horses should have a chance to fall or injure themselves too.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:29 am »
I have not read any of the quotes due to lack of time, but when the last update came out, back in 2012, i'm pretty sure they made the bayonet shorter, the cavalry sabre longer, and they added more cavalry units :P OP - I can't believe you ask such an obvious question. Good thing is cavalry is considered the cowards class in my eyes.
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 01:36:04 pm »
The guy who flings himself into melee is cowardly? Its funny how in this community, yhe guys with guns consider themselves more honorable than the guys with swords.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 01:55:53 pm »
Fighting a group of Cavlary has always fallen down the indervidual, it is never a group effort. 1 man can dehorse 3 cavalry no problem, the group effort falls down to when they are dismounted and swords tend to slam through bayonetes, unless obviously the group is good at melee too.

De-horsing is not the problem so a anti-cav formation is never actually needed, spreading out is usually the best way of doing it so any scalary coming through has to pass 2 people atleast or maybe even 3. The de-horsed man at the other end is killed on the floor.

Its quite simple made overcomplicated with fanatical devotion to real life tactics than actually thinking about gameplay.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 04:23:44 pm »
I have not read any of the quotes due to lack of time, but when the last update came out, back in 2012, i'm pretty sure they made the bayonet shorter, the cavalry sabre longer, and they added more cavalry units :P OP - I can't believe you ask such an obvious question. Good thing is cavalry is considered the cowards class in my eyes.

You obviously have nothing of value to add to this thread.

Fighting a group of Cavlary has always fallen down the indervidual, it is never a group effort. 1 man can dehorse 3 cavalry no problem, the group effort falls down to when they are dismounted and swords tend to slam through bayonetes, unless obviously the group is good at melee too.

De-horsing is not the problem so a anti-cav formation is never actually needed, spreading out is usually the best way of doing it so any scalary coming through has to pass 2 people atleast or maybe even 3. The de-horsed man at the other end is killed on the floor.

Its quite simple made overcomplicated with fanatical devotion to real life tactics than actually thinking about gameplay.

Very interesting! And I believe your arguments, the 19te (regiment I am in) uses a very flexible anti-cav formation that uses the principles that you just mentioned. The only problem I am noticing currently is the fact that is hard to watch each others backs all the tme.
Pointy stick champion

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 04:53:09 pm »
Colonel Skipper please tell me how is the cavalry cowardly when they charge with swords against soldiers armed with firearms, artillery and bayonets?
Cavalry is the bravest class since they are armed with swords and they still can break a entire infantry formation.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:56:39 pm by von_Bismarck »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 05:02:58 pm »
Musicians who stand sturdy in the face of enemy fire are the bravest class.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 05:06:28 pm »
Musicians who stand sturdy in the face of enemy fire are the bravest class.

That's how I earned my nickname of Stonewall Duuring!

Duuring, get behind the line!
NEVER!

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 05:06:53 pm »
Hmm, people who run into and immediately away from battle (cavalry) are more cowardly than people who immediately waste their bullet on a bird and run into melee (infantry).

Sorry if "i'm pretty sure they made the bayonet shorter, the cavalry sabre longer, and they added more cavalry units" was not adding any value, I double checked and am correct, they did those and the class they added was the totempkaniasdkjasfjasfh Prussian hussars.
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 05:10:44 pm »
The Prussian hussars have been in from the beginning... you're thinking of Russia's Lithuanian lancers

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 05:12:30 pm »
Ah, ok, the update came out when I was still getting the gripes of the game, I heard that info in teamspeak from Joker of the 88th.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »
Hmm, people who run into and immediately away from battle (cavalry) are more cowardly than people who immediately waste their bullet on a bird and run into melee (infantry).

If you haven't got the momentum of a charge, you're a sitting duck when mounted. Of course they retreat and regroup. It's, by the way, exactly what they did in the 1800s.

Offline Lumen

• Second Lieutenant
  • Your local Afro aficionado/cocoa connoisseur.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [IV]1LH_Uffz_Koz
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 04:47:37 pm »
Not 100% sure what you mean by that. The regiments I've seen run in, kill 90% of infantry, leave the scraps to a friendly line, and charge some other poor regiment. Definitely not cowardly at all. Cavalry on public servers, however, can be extremely cowardly, especially people who don't play anything but dragoon. Infantry shoot other lines, and maybe one time out of twenty, one person will aim at the bird, then charge once per round. Sometimes not charging at all. I can't tell you how many times I have seen one line charge into battle, expecting another line thirty feet away to charge with them, then get annihilated because the line they were depending on either stood there shooting or ran away.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:50:52 pm by Lumen »