Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231549 times)

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • SOUTH AFRICAN WAR DOG - NWWC 2019 WINNER
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #1995 on: March 09, 2018, 07:27:53 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

This helmet is amazing to use and it has quite some style points which is what alot of Russian gear has

Spoiler

[close]

Random guy I know from a group I'm in and he does these pics alot, they're not from any game day or whatever but he just has photoshoots to get some iconic shots of his gear in nice settings, works out quite well.

Also a guy I've been watching for quite a while who makes videos of the Milsim west events, mostly from the Russian POV

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 09, 2018, 09:25:58 pm »
even if you hate those guys
Why would they hate each other? :p reenactment is 1/8 events, 3/8 creating, or repairing kit and 4/8 drinking together. I don't see a reason to hate 😂

you never met Duuring in rl right?

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1997 on: March 10, 2018, 01:31:22 am »
Spoiler

[close]

This helmet is amazing to use and it has quite some style points which is what alot of Russian gear has

Spoiler

[close]

Random guy I know from a group I'm in and he does these pics alot, they're not from any game day or whatever but he just has photoshoots to get some iconic shots of his gear in nice settings, works out quite well.

Also a guy I've been watching for quite a while who makes videos of the Milsim west events, mostly from the Russian POV

this just looks silly

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 10, 2018, 01:31:40 am »
How does it?

Also just watch stuff about Milsim West in general, the guy I linked makes it into memes mostly but there's plenty of vids from most of the events without editing.

Just love watching stuff like this

Gets me so hyped seeing so much millitary gear in one place, it's so fun to play aswell.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:47:43 am by Piercee »

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 10, 2018, 05:00:19 am »
Turns out the Russian troops in the Ukraine were actually just Ukrainians dressing up for fun

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #2000 on: March 10, 2018, 01:55:02 pm »
The hilarious thing about modern milsim guys is that they try and stick to the protocols and SOPs almost completely... which is completely contradictory if you want to get as close to actual military fighting as you can. Units pretty much keep the core of their business conform SOPs and invent the rest of it themselves.

And the milsim guys usually buy actual proper stuff. Which, if you want to get the experience, is also the opposite to go. Just buy the shittiest and cheapest stuff out there, and you're actually probably much closer.

That said, if you want to get into milsim easily just do Dutch Infantry... get the woodland camo pants from a surplus store, and the rifle you need, and you can pretty much buy whatever you want from then on. Dutch soldiers buy 80% of their shit themselves.
I have heard and seen people who only had the rifle they got from the army, and the rest they all bought themselves. From their boots to their helmets.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Zebaad

• First Lieutenant
  • alea iacta est
    • View Profile
    • Bastion Maps
  • Nick: 47th_Cpt_Zebaad_Peritz
« Reply #2001 on: March 10, 2018, 03:47:44 pm »
even if you hate those guys
Why would they hate each other? :p reenactment is 1/8 events, 3/8 creating, or repairing kit and 4/8 drinking together. I don't see a reason to hate 😂

you never met Duuring in rl right?
You make it sound like it would be a bad thing XD - No I haven't

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 10, 2018, 04:17:17 pm »
I just saw that Milsim vid... the question "What the fuck are you doing"  popped into my head often.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #2003 on: March 10, 2018, 05:05:22 pm »
I just saw that Milsim vid... the question "What the fuck are you doing"  popped into my head often.
Looks like nobody is afraid to die.. i suppose xD

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: March 10, 2018, 06:10:10 pm »
Looks like nobody is afraid to die.. i suppose xD

Obviously, but you'll see that always when there's not actually someone shooting at you.

I mean, they're in the field. What the fuck is someone doing standing at parade rest? And why the fuck does he not carry his rifle with him? Both the officer and the guy weren't carrying any weapon...

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 10, 2018, 07:19:26 pm »
Alot of people who play Milsim are actual veterans though and there's plenty of units that play that pretty much only consist of people who have served, they crave that extra bit of brotherhood and more serious play. To be fair alot of gear they have isn't expensive, multi-cam is one of the cheapest patterns to buy. 30 for a shirt maybe, 30 for combat pants. Vest can be pretty cheap, overall NATO gear is cheap as fuck. However, if you want realistic Russian gear it's gonna cost you a bit more since it actually has to come out of factories of Russia since it's produced there.

Also there's not enough actual Dutch situations to make the Dutch Milsim loadout viable, usually it's NATO v Opfor or RAF vs Rebels or such, depending on the country and the mission they currently want to play but NATO vs Russia is probably the most normal one.

Even though it's probably not the most realistic, it's still one of the closest experiences you can get to being in action considering if you fuck up in a squad full of veterans you are gonna get shouted at, they will tell you what to do and the environment is harsher, that's why alot of people don't like it.

I have been lucky to participate in a game of Milsim actually and I absolutely loved it, having vehicles and everything attached to it is amazing for both immersion and gameplay since you actually have something to either hold or attack with.

People are afraid to die but it's genuinly something that's iffy, like if you get shot by blanks there's a rule that you don't have to take the hit but it's pretty much a gentleman's thing to do, you do however instantly have to go to cover and pretend you were being shot at with BBs, but most just take the hit since it's more realistic.

And trust me, dying sucks there since people can loot your shit usually and you have to wait for a fucking medic to pick you up which can take ages since there's not really respawn zones.

Also the guy who was talking to the younger recruit was just talking outside out the game for second since the kid wanted to be a ranger and the guy talking was actually a ranger, so he was explaining what it was like since the kid wanted to sign up.

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 10, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »
just silly

Offline Zebaad

• First Lieutenant
  • alea iacta est
    • View Profile
    • Bastion Maps
  • Nick: 47th_Cpt_Zebaad_Peritz
« Reply #2007 on: March 14, 2018, 09:53:05 pm »
Does anyone know anywhere good to get custom cast buttons?
Silver or Brass, 12mm diameter with family crest cast onto surface.
Probably needing about 20 of them.

This is for non-combat 1450 reenactment

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #2008 on: May 06, 2018, 05:24:46 pm »
So, who of you is going to Quatre Bras?

If your group is not taking part in the march, but you want to do so anyway, I am offering that you take part with us. You do, however, have to also take part in the "battle" with us on Saturday, as we plan on arriving to the battlefield in marching order.

People from the 85e Dutch are not included in this offer. You either take part with them for the entirety of the event, or with us, can't do both.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:28:01 pm by Olafson »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 06, 2018, 11:36:09 pm »
Who is going to QB anyway? It supposidly is a pretty big event.