Author Topic: Fusiliers-Grenadiers, Garde Impériale  (Read 2194 times)

AeroNinja

Fusiliers-Grenadiers, Garde Impériale
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:25:46 pm »
Can someone answer me the following questions? :)

- For example, in the NW community we have regiments, which sounds obvious. When you look at the regiment their roster it says Compagnie de Fusiliers or Compagnie de Grenadiers. What I'm not so really sure about is what do the Fusiliers-Grenadiers have as their official company? Is it Compagnie d'Élites or any other?

- How many regiments of Fusiliers-Grenadiers were there?

- Did the Fusiliers-Grenadiers show prestige and skill in battle?

- How old did you need to be in order to join the Fusiliers-Grenadiers in the 1800's? Ofcourse the Fusiliers-Grenadiers were part of the "Jeune Garde", Young Guard.

Thanks in advance! :)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Fusiliers-Grenadiers, Garde Impériale
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:37:49 pm »
- Guard batallions only had four companies, so I'm gonna go and assume they were called 'Compagnie de Fusilier-Grenadiers'

- There were two regiments of Fusilier-Grenadiers when in 1810 their name was changed to 'Tirailleur'. There were nineteen of those, though any above the no. 6 were just conscripts with a fancy name.

- As far as I know, the Fusilier-Grenadiers never actually fought before being changed to Tirailleurs in 1810.

- I believe men were conscripted straight into those units, so just 19 would be enough.

AeroNinja

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:55 pm »
Thanks for the help so far!

Were the Fusiliers-Grenadiers untill they were Tirailleurs just stationed troops within fortresses or used as reserves? Or did they never really go on campaign?

And what four compagnies had the Guard battalions if I may ask? Did those compagnies have special nicknames?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:46:41 pm »
Being guard, I assume they were just in baracks around Paris, but that's just an educated guess.

They were numbered 1st to 4th. No names.

AeroNinja

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:50:54 pm »
Alright. Thanks for the help. I'm currently trying to learn more about the Guard compagnies of Napoleon's army. Could you sent me in a right direction for good books?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:07:49 pm »
This site offers some good basic information with lots of references http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/

AeroNinja

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:08:44 pm »
Ah, thanks a lot. I'll give it a read. :)