Author Topic: What made NW from 2011/12-2016 so much fun?  (Read 16862 times)

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just in case I don’t see ya…
    • View Profile
  • Nick: We out
  • Side: Neutral
Re: What made NW from 2011/12-2016 so much fun?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 10:03:08 pm »
It all went downhill once 45e became toxic trolls because had a lot of fun doing it. Before they realized this they were actually not toxic at all. "Troll regs before this were less toxic and moreso about having internal fun trolling each other. Other kids copied them/adopted their ways and members. Even classically "polite" regiments had a shift in the way they interacted with others. Gradually changed the community from a politer pride based competitive scene to a Ad Hom personal attack based social scene. It became less about having fun and more about beating another person at all costs. Before this it was moreso about playing the game with your team on average. You would randomly go around and ask people why they joined x reg and their answers often were "its better than x" or "To beat x lol"

Increased turnover rates, increased tribalism, increased toxicity, personal attacks that went way too far and transcended the online realm.

All this contributed to game decay and reduction in player counts

also the 63e monopoly was bad for overall player numbers. If you unironically think that it was good for the game you don't understand economics/are lying to people who don't understand it.

I think that the introduction of meager amounts of money to try to galvanize competition might have been bad in the long run, as it forced leaders to start an old gen arms race all the time which constantly spread the sentiment of how people hated the game and were only here for the money that wasn't even a lot. This likely discouraged people who really did love the game. Also inflated the numbers to make the community think the game was doing better than it really was.

The older player base also left because they grew up and don't have the time to play every day after school. I remember that competitive regs would have 1v1s nearly every day and that members would ask me "can we do a 1v1 or gf today" basically every day I hadn't scheduled something for a certain day within the week. Such a thing happening now likely is far too great a strain on people's schedules.

100 percent agree with you about the 63e part I really felt that the server should've been used to help the community grow but you know my viewpoints were met with Karth telling me agree with him or I would be banned from the ts.

Honestly I think the money thing was well intended.  TNWL was really about Jorge trying to get his twitch channel into orbit.  It was never intended to help the community.  Money seems to only influence people to say and do things that were never true. 

I mean overall I am talking about how at one point in time we had 54th with Stox and Becker, we had 3evolt with Grim and AsianP, 12th/18th with Tico and Co, 9y with MackCW and Boys, Ody Reg/Deadeye Reg, Alexander reg, 33e reg, USMC, 30th, 27th Newkrik, 63e (when Karth was AFK was actually a decent place to be) and this is not including the casual regiments that I think helped the community i.e. Kolakhan and other event hosters.  I could go on and on but what I am getting at is that we had such a dynamic group of leaders within the community that its going to be interesting when we move on to BCOF, Bannerlord, or whatever to see how we impact those new communities.     

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 10:11:18 pm »
that 45e merge into the LG was pretty fucking nasty ngl fuck whoever did that shit

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Pinoy12

• Major
  • Good Cunt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 10:16:44 pm »
that 45e merge into the LG was pretty fucking nasty ngl fuck whoever did that shit
The 45e guys needed a home since the reg was kinda in shambles. The idea of merging was a meme at first, but then it actually became a real thing.
I still remember all the 45e guys gave Russian a bunch of shit in the first couple of events. We would mock poor Russian when he screamed. Thank god Russian isn't an angry bear anymore.
FUCK SLUTS EAT GUTS

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 10:27:24 pm »
The 45e guys needed a home since the reg was kinda in shambles. The idea of merging was a meme at first, but then it actually became a real thing.
I still remember all the 45e guys gave Russian a bunch of shit in the first couple of events. We would mock poor Russian when he screamed. Thank god Russian isn't an angry bear anymore.
45e merging was a "moment" but I don't think it really offset the comp community since the community was already suffering from regiments disbanding and people leaving long before the merge.  As you say Windflower it was all part of the bandwagon movement.  I mean Jackie joining the 71st was also part of that bandwagon era but I feel that it served more good than anything.  The 71st was trash before Jackie ever was there.  Period.  Like Ive seen the NEC videos.  It truly was bad, but when a really talented player decides to join a ok casual regiment...yeah I think it does more good for the community.  Now I am not saying the 45e merging was for the best of the community god no, but I will say that we have seen both good and bad sides of the bandwagon mentality. 

I still point to Karth coming back to the 63e as one of the biggest pushers for the game dying.  JDF leaving is up there too along with most of old gen guys going to that one mod game for warband.  The melee change and than fixing to what it was.  Super regiments like the 18thRI forming (the one with Lawerence and nickcole and shit) really hurt the community as well.  But with everything good things come out of the bad and vice versa. 

suns

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 10:34:11 pm »
45e merge into LG slowly dried comp
Pretty much. Especially since the 45e members that joined had major power in that regiment. I pushed the limits so hard because I knew they wouldn't risk kicking me out, thus losing the stack and possibly risked losing the league.

LMAO TRUE

started off as a meme with yoshie coming into the ts then over the course of a few hours actually became real with a vote

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 10:40:12 pm »
this thread pretty comfy... i think ill stay here for a while.. maybe take a nap
Spoiler
[close]

Haze

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 10:40:53 pm »
Back then, they just were more players, and they were more invested in the game possibilities.
The big regimental structures have also declined overtime.

Offline Muhataa

• First Lieutenant
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ex.Moderator TKC
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 10:42:02 pm »
Back then, they just were more players, and they were more invested in the game possibilities.

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 10:44:54 pm »
this thread pretty comfy... i think ill stay here for a while.. maybe take a nap
Spoiler

[close]
rest here old fella ;)

Offline Kraz

• CIS Spanker
  • Colonel
  • cool guy
    • View Profile
  • Nick: wódka jest fajna
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 11:18:55 pm »
and people were more « loyal » to their regiment, not like all the randoms nowaday

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2019, 12:04:09 am »
and people were more « loyal » to their regiment, not like all the randoms nowaday
Yeh Loyally in NW has be non existent at times over the past 3 years with comp players. In EU it seems like good players were bouncing around at times to new regs frequently. NA started a bandwagon trend after 71st (Not blaming 71st because they were bad before Jackie and Zzehth joined like Bean pointed out) but when a good reg formed most of the good players went there because they wanted to shit on everyone without ever losing it seemed like (This wasn't always the case). I remember people joining 58e & 71st for example because they wanted to play with the best regs. I'm sure they had some or few friends in there but very few people wanted to help build regs to become top tier after 2015 (except PSG since their peak was in 2016). Of course 2017 on its impossible to do that without recruiting good players to a pub reg since the skill gap between pubs and comp players is ridiculously far apart.

Offline DrunkenSpartan

• Sergeant Major
  • Run towards the sound of thunder :P It's more fun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Fus_Spartan
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2019, 12:16:04 am »
and people were more « loyal » to their regiment, not like all the randoms nowaday
Yeh Loyally in NW has be non existent at times over the past 3 years with comp players. In EU it seems like good players were bouncing around at times to new regs frequently. NA started a bandwagon trend after 71st (Not blaming 71st because they were bad before Jackie and Zzehth joined like Bean pointed out) but when a good reg formed most of the good players went there because they wanted to shit on everyone without ever losing it seemed like (This wasn't always the case). I remember people joining 58e & 71st for example because they wanted to play with the best regs. I'm sure they had some or few friends in there but very few people wanted to help build regs to become top tier after 2015 (except PSG since their peak was in 2016). Of course 2017 on its impossible to do that without recruiting good players to a pub reg since the skill gap between pubs and comp players is ridiculously far apart.

The skill gap is a pretty good reason for the slow decline of the comp scene. Couple people mentioned the "63e m0n0p0ly" and "o no karth : (( hes mean to me time to boycott" but life went on. IMO the real issue in present day NW is there are only two tiers of players: absolute garbage and sweaty tryhard. The days of average Joe joining a comp reg and becoming proficient are pretty much over. Not saying it never happens but I mean....come on...
It's the same old thing since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fighting
With their tanks and their bombs
And air bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dying...

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2019, 12:55:59 am »
We were young, had ttime, and were oblivious to reality. Now most of us are in or graduated college, bogged down by draining schedules and responsibilities. There were far more people playing, people who were willing to take risks and do stupid shit for the hell of it. Our younger selves had stamina, efficiency, and a sort of willingness to just have fun while letting most drama slide.

It isn't like that anymore.

We realized that the inescapable march of time was gaining on us. Sooner or later, people would have to move on. The game wasn't as much fun anymore, and we decided to either migrate to other games or leave the whole machine to waste. That's what most of did, but for some, they just couldn't bare leaving behind the very game that once had made them so happy. We are those people, and now look at us. Miserable, depressed, anxiety-ridden, and awaiting the inevitable collapse of civilization due to greed. Things back then may have not been all that great, but compared to now, it was paradise on Earth.

There is something in almost every child and adolescent that makes everything seem much better and brighter than it actually is. It allows them feel enagaged, important, and loved. We had the capacity to feel connected, a capacity that no longer exists after multiple jaded experiences. That spark of life that was once strong within all of us, can never again be reignited. Soon enough, we'll all be dead, and the remains of what was once this beautiful game will disappear along with us. Just remember, that for a small but incredible time in our lives, we were once so incredibly excited to shoot and stab at pixels on an average-looking indie game.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:58:19 am by Sgt.Winters »

Offline JollyCanadian

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I fucking got out bitches | 84th Geezer | 2929
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2019, 01:10:41 am »
that sums it up pretty well actually.
5x NACR Elect | Current: Glenn's Husband|ex- 84th/15e/17th/30th(OG)/USMC/58e/26e/

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2019, 02:12:13 am »
We were young, had ttime, and were oblivious to reality. Now most of us are in or graduated college, bogged down by draining schedules and responsibilities. There were far more people playing, people who were willing to take risks and do stupid shit for the hell of it. Our younger selves had stamina, efficiency, and a sort of willingness to just have fun while letting most drama slide.

It isn't like that anymore.

We realized that the inescapable march of time was gaining on us. Sooner or later, people would have to move on. The game wasn't as much fun anymore, and we decided to either migrate to other games or leave the whole machine to waste. That's what most of did, but for some, they just couldn't bare leaving behind the very game that once had made them so happy. We are those people, and now look at us. Miserable, depressed, anxiety-ridden, and awaiting the inevitable collapse of civilization due to greed. Things back then may have not been all that great, but compared to now, it was paradise on Earth.

There is something in almost every child and adolescent that makes everything seem much better and brighter than it actually is. It allows them feel enagaged, important, and loved. We had the capacity to feel connected, a capacity that no longer exists after multiple jaded experiences. That spark of life that was once strong within all of us, can never again be reignited. Soon enough, we'll all be dead, and the remains of what was once this beautiful game will disappear along with us. Just remember, that for a small but incredible time in our lives, we were once so incredibly excited to shoot and stab at pixels on an average-looking indie game.

I agree with most of this.  But I think it almost has to do with how you perceive things.  Like you said as young kids we were able to do things that we can't do anymore.  In many respects you are right, I think with regards to playing this Indie game, you can't not dedicate your life to it like you could for CSGO and other games.  This was always meant to be hobby.  It was never meant to be taken as real life.  As you have indicated you used this game as an escape, a way to avoid what reality really was.  Reality was always full of greed and every other mental illness under the sun.  We chose to ignore that and play a 19th century game that was centered around the Battle of Waterloo.  For many of us we chose to remain within in the community due to our close bonds we have with others that we met online.  These fellowships allowed for some to even meet in real life and enjoy each others company. 
So thats where you loose me winters.  These feelings of no longer feeling connected or open to new experiences are very much driven from a thought process of self-protection.  Its almost as if you are saying, "I got my finger jammed in the door 3 times so I am never going outside again".  Well that thought process comes from a place of putting up barriers and pushing ones flaws under the rug.  The spark of life as you call I assume is the spark of innocences or enjoyment from a game.  This can always, always, always be reignited, it may not be the same but that feeling happens so many times throughout life.  Not just in video games but when you experience things for the first time.  You will always be a student Winters, a student to life.  Try not to get swallowed by things you can't control.