Author Topic: What made NW from 2011/12-2016 so much fun?  (Read 16790 times)

Offline DrunkenSpartan

• Sergeant Major
  • Run towards the sound of thunder :P It's more fun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Fus_Spartan
  • Side: Neutral
Re: What made NW from 2011/12-2016 so much fun?
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2019, 11:03:05 pm »
Hard to stay loyal to a game which frankly hasn’t aged well, either. Between the sideblock glitch, the teleporting, the animation glitches (not the animation cancels, the other ones), FSE patching most of the fun glitches (flag/artillery speed hacks anyone?), the slow map download time, graphics which struggled to compete back in 2012 (skyrim came out in 2011 and looks twice as good) but have aged worse than Mickey Rourke, the slow up stab speed which wasn’t always the case, the antiquated server lobby, the lack of weapon/armor variety (rip short British bayonets and Prussian head armor), the removal of sailor armor, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah this game aged poorly. I’m sure I missed a lot of things but if you put an all encompassing list of the “things that might have been” down for NW it would warrant admission into the library of Congress  :-\
It's the same old thing since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fighting
With their tanks and their bombs
And air bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dying...

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2019, 11:31:51 pm »
Bannerlord won't save us either, it's time to move on. Get out while you can and don't look back.

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Fartknocker
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2019, 12:43:57 am »
I recently attended an LB with the LG after years of inactivity and it's definitely a whole new world. When I last attended the LG, Russian and Waste still had a pretty commanding aura, but this time around it was like the teamspeak was always chatty and I couldn't even hear the orders a lot. This is a far cry from the priority speaker times of older regiments and no chatting until the round was over.

I personally just attribute it to the fact that we were all a lot younger with way more time to devote to games. You had leaders who were really interesting and intriguing and friendships that kept you on teamspeak all day. I remember hanging with Karth, Tico, Mack, etc. Each one had a really cool style of leading that each suited their players strengths and weaknesses.

As pointed out earlier, I think updates would have helped, or better yet, changing the meta to keep the competitive scene changing. Look at CSGO for an example on how simple meta changes have brought fundamental changes to the game that kept people interested.

Project Reality with the 63e gang was always great.
63e pawn in an anti-63e world.

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just in case I don’t see ya…
    • View Profile
  • Nick: We out
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2019, 10:34:20 pm »
I feel like regiments that actually had a semblance of discipline to them made the game fun.  For me it brought me back to the days in the 29th or when I used to have my own regiments.  On top of that you had people who knew how to actually run events....I look around now and well...most of the decent events are casual. 

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2019, 12:03:34 am »
29th got hate but cant argue how impressive they were (obviously not skill wise) but I enjoy regiment aesthetics and discipline

Offline Wastee

• Colonel
  • Nr8[LG]Kpt_Wastee
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Steam: [LG] Wastee
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2019, 12:08:28 am »
I feel like regiments that actually had a semblance of discipline to them made the game fun.  For me it brought me back to the days in the 29th or when I used to have my own regiments.  On top of that you had people who knew how to actually run events....I look around now and well...most of the decent events are casual.
You get tired of 20 min of either spawn camping or sitting in dead chat after awhile

"I may never make a list, and I may never make the hall of fame, but by God, I made the competitive mailing list" - Undisclosed Gamer

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
  • Luck is for people who are too lazy to train
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Godfreid
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2019, 12:14:50 am »
You get tired of 20 min of either spawn camping or sitting in dead chat after awhile

Basically this. Sieges aren't too bad cause you can respawn, so you don't have to sit in dead chat + you're pretty much doing SOMETHING at all times. 29y did one for a while before disbanding, was a good time.

Casual linebattles though, they're alright at first, but they get old real fast.

Offline Wastee

• Colonel
  • Nr8[LG]Kpt_Wastee
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2019, 12:16:54 am »
SA events are fun, run stop shoot charge. If this fails to end the round 3 min in it's an all charge

"I may never make a list, and I may never make the hall of fame, but by God, I made the competitive mailing list" - Undisclosed Gamer

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2019, 12:21:50 am »
your own events weren’t too great tho
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2019, 01:16:00 am »

Which one? 63e events? NANWL? I am talking about events like Kolakhans or Eatjello. On top of that, you are welcome to your perspective, I respect that but most of my events that I ran in the casual scene went fairly well.  I used my own custom maps which most people loved.  I used rules that every regiment agreed on.  I am not referencing 63e events here btw.  Now if we want to go over why I think that I ran a very successful season of NANWL we can but I feel like that would be a better conversation to have either in pms or on steam.  Considering you don't consider them to be apart of what made 2012-2016 very fun ;) gotta stay on topic champ.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2019, 02:30:31 am »

Which one? 63e events? NANWL? I am talking about events like Kolakhans or Eatjello. On top of that, you are welcome to your perspective, I respect that but most of my events that I ran in the casual scene went fairly well.  I used my own custom maps which most people loved.  I used rules that every regiment agreed on.  I am not referencing 63e events here btw.  Now if we want to go over why I think that I ran a very successful season of NANWL we can but I feel like that would be a better conversation to have either in pms or on steam.  Considering you don't consider them to be apart of what made 2012-2016 very fun ;) gotta stay on topic champ.
Idk about that. Season 6 was the last NANWL where you could consider the competitive scene as diverse and it felt stale halfway through. It was pretty much over after that.

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2019, 02:58:26 am »

Idk about that. Season 6 was the last NANWL where you could consider the competitive scene as diverse and it felt stale halfway through. It was pretty much over after that.
I ran season 6.  Its not my job to keep it fun, rather it was my job to run the league.  The entire reason it was diverse was thanks to me. (yeah i am taking that credit because I went around to each regiment and got them to sign up plus I went over the rules with them. ) You know the beauty about people is that some will say that it was really good and others wont.  For it being stale well perhaps if I had kept PSG and USMC in league one than it would have been much more fun.  Sadly JDF and others came to me begging to be switched.  To simply say its Papabeans fault it went stale...well my influence was on setting up that season and making sure it ran smoothly.  If I recall, IF I had shown bias than the 63e would have won at the end of the season since they had the most points, however to make it more interesting we decided to do a winner take all.  Meaning the top four regiments of league one would 1v1 each other again for the title.  And if I recall correctly 3evolt won, yes? So if anything I would understand that the overall time spent on the league was far too long.  Considering league 3 had ended like a month or two before the end of the whole thing.  However, season 6 was hands down the last time the NA side of the community has shown up as much as they did to a event on the competitive side.  The fact that because of season 5 having 1 league and Season 6 had 3 leagues, I increased player participation within the competitive community tremendously.  Not a single person on here can claim from the NA side they have brought more casual regiments to a competitive event. 

Sorry for flexing fellas but like:

Offline Wastee

• Colonel
  • Nr8[LG]Kpt_Wastee
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2019, 03:02:10 am »
S7 had some competition

S9 was fun

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2019, 03:34:29 am »

I ran season 6.  Its not my job to keep it fun, rather it was my job to run the league.  The entire reason it was diverse was thanks to me. (yeah i am taking that credit because I went around to each regiment and got them to sign up plus I went over the rules with them. ) You know the beauty about people is that some will say that it was really good and others wont.  For it being stale well perhaps if I had kept PSG and USMC in league one than it would have been much more fun.  Sadly JDF and others came to me begging to be switched.  To simply say its Papabeans fault it went stale...well my influence was on setting up that season and making sure it ran smoothly.  If I recall, IF I had shown bias than the 63e would have won at the end of the season since they had the most points, however to make it more interesting we decided to do a winner take all.  Meaning the top four regiments of league one would 1v1 each other again for the title.  And if I recall correctly 3evolt won, yes? So if anything I would understand that the overall time spent on the league was far too long.  Considering league 3 had ended like a month or two before the end of the whole thing.  However, season 6 was hands down the last time the NA side of the community has shown up as much as they did to a event on the competitive side.  The fact that because of season 5 having 1 league and Season 6 had 3 leagues, I increased player participation within the competitive community tremendously.  Not a single person on here can claim from the NA side they have brought more casual regiments to a competitive event. 

While I don't doubt that you had some influence over the amount of regiments in Season 6, saying you had a major impact is debatable. Comparing it to the performance of Season 5 is setting a rather low bar as well. It was legitimately the fucking worst season of NANWL; the bastard child of the group. Karth decided to fly away, Beech fucked off to god knows where, and Cheesey was desperate to even hold anything together. We went weeks without a single notice at the start because Karth responded to zero messages, and so began the cycle of sitting around, doing literally nothing. There were maybe 5 matches for a regiment for that whole season, and half of them fucking dropped due to scheduling differences and piss poor communication. No one wanted to do that, and most were convinced that was it for NW. Of course, once we got over our teenage girl tantrums, everyone decided to come back and have one last fucking orgy of cancer. Season 6 was definitely the last hurrah, but calling it one of the more exciting seasons is stretching it. It was by no means your fault, we were just tired of this abomination and wanted to finally end it.

Also, the USMC would have been gangbanged to the fourth dimension in League 1, no question. We were a group of bot fighting morons with the intellectual capacity and attention span of fucking goldfish. We could barely make it through the season, beat the 45e by pure luck, and then proceeded to get raped by the PSG. If you spent more than 20 minutes in our TS during an event and watched us train, you would have put us in League 3. 45e and PSG in League 1? Sure, but not the USMC, not by a longshot.

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2019, 04:00:16 am »
Spoiler

While I don't doubt that you had some influence over the amount of regiments in Season 6, saying you had a major impact is debatable. Comparing it to the performance of Season 5 is setting a rather low bar as well. It was legitimately the fucking worst season of NANWL; the bastard child of the group. Karth decided to fly away, Beech fucked off to god knows where, and Cheesey was desperate to even hold anything together. We went weeks without a single notice at the start because Karth responded to zero messages, and so began the cycle of sitting around, doing literally nothing. There were maybe 5 matches for a regiment for that whole season, and half of them fucking dropped due to scheduling differences and piss poor communication. No one wanted to do that, and most were convinced that was it for NW. Of course, once we got over our teenage girl tantrums, everyone decided to come back and have one last fucking orgy of cancer. Season 6 was definitely the last hurrah, but calling it one of the more exciting seasons is stretching it. It was by no means your fault, we were just tired of this abomination and wanted to finally end it.

Also, the USMC would have been gangbanged to the fourth dimension in League 1, no question. We were a group of bot fighting morons with the intellectual capacity and attention span of fucking goldfish. We could barely make it through the season, beat the 45e by pure luck, and then proceeded to get raped by the PSG. If you spent more than 20 minutes in our TS during an event and watched us train, you would have put us in League 3. 45e and PSG in League 1? Sure, but not the USMC, not by a longshot.
[close]

You keep saying "we".  Lets get a few things straight about that season of league.  The following regiments would not have touched league had I not talked to them:
4th Kings German Artillery
70th
1st Irish Brigade
84th York & Lancaster Regiment of Foot EU / NA
1stRM
58th Regiment of foot
21st (Royal North British Fusiliers) Royal Regiment of Foot
19e
17th Finnish LifeGuard Regiment
16th Middlesex (London Irish) Rifle Volunteer Corps
13th Foreign Legion
79th "Queens Own" Cameron Highlanders
104th
22nd

Yes winters all of these regiments would not have touched the comp side had I not talked to them.  I am sure of that.  I am saying that because of the amount of time and effort that I put into it, the return for everyone was much greater than what had been anticipated.  While I am glad you have your perspective, you wont change mine and those that had a really fun time in that season. 

I am glad that USMC comment got under ya skin a little bit ;) gotta make sure the JDF fan boys still are out there.