Author Topic: Sources on Napoleon.  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Mack

• Donator
  • " Hear me roar "
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lannes Mack
  • Side: Union
Sources on Napoleon.
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:23 am »
For a project, I need to find sources on Napoleon... I could use a little help to be honoust.. So please, if you know any.. Put them here!

Stuff such as; economics, politics, warfare  and all that.
Lannes Mack

Proudly commanded the 4e Grenadiers for two and a halve years

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
Re: Sources on Napoleon.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
Eh, if you're looking for first hand accounts I recommend looking at Captain Coignet's book if you're looking into what kind of man Napoleon was, Coignet provides real insight into Napoleon on campaign.

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:22 pm »
Napolun is good for military stuff. Try wikipedia too, some good stuff can be there. Other than that, not sure. ;)

www.napolun.com
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:38:00 pm by Emperor Napoleon »

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:53:28 pm »
Nice link Napoleon...

I think you meant this: http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/NAPOLEON_FOREVER.html

If you are actually trying to make a project about Napoleon and do it right... Then go to your library and loan a book, they are bound to have one, since Napoleon is the person who has the most biographies, apart from Jesus.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:23:36 pm »
Nice link Napoleon...

I think you meant this: http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/NAPOLEON_FOREVER.html

If you are actually trying to make a project about Napoleon and do it right... Then go to your library and loan a book, they are bound to have one, since Napoleon is the person who has the most biographies, apart from Jesus.
Thats what I meant :P

Offline Gunther AV

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:38:58 pm »
This is a biography on Napoleon, includes all that Political stuff and personal life.

Napoleon: Evolution to Empire

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slWlc5ritIA&list=PLRPW3IFnQj1z44NV3MO8Nc6RXBWzRVxzZ&index=1[/youtube]

Napoleon: Mastering Luck

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJCPG4DhYXo&list=PLRPW3IFnQj1z44NV3MO8Nc6RXBWzRVxzZ[/youtube]

Napoleon: Summit of Greatness

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrbfqvkH15A&list=PLRPW3IFnQj1z44NV3MO8Nc6RXBWzRVxzZ[/youtube]

Napoleon: The End

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMJNS0QY2E&list=PLRPW3IFnQj1z44NV3MO8Nc6RXBWzRVxzZ[/youtube]

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 06:18:26 pm »
As was stated before, your local library is a great location to find information on Napoleon. If you're looking for the politics/economics/social atmosphere of that time period, a book about the First Empire would be of more interest to you. If you're looking for a biography of the man, find a biography of him. Just don't expect the full swing of politics/economics of the French Empire from only a biography. Use multiple books (I'd say anywhere from 5-6) ranging the subjects, and you should be fine.

PS: Sorry if it's a bit clunky. Still tired, lol
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:20:27 pm by Allasaphore »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:27 pm »
As was stated before, your local library is a great location to find information on Napoleon. If you're looking for the politics/economics/social atmosphere of that time period, a book about the First Empire would be of more interest to you. If you're looking for a biography of the man, find a biography of him. Just don't expect the full swing of politics/economics of the French Empire from only a biography. Use multiple books (I'd say anywhere from 5-6) ranging the subjects, and you should be fine.

PS: Sorry if it's a bit clunky. Still tired, lol

Well, one would have to find a proper book though.

Some days ago, I saw a book about napoleon's march on Russia.

At the back of the book, even I could find 3 errors.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 12:44:42 pm »

:o

These errors were?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:00 pm »

These errors were?

I can't remember more than one...

Referring to all the nations of the confederacy of the Rhine as Germany, and enemy of France...
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:29:24 pm »

These errors were?

Referring to all the nations of the confederacy of the Rhine as Germany, and enemy of France...

Well in the 3rd Coalition they were against France (Pirmarily Bavaria), and in the 4th (Saxony). Also, how do you know they were referring the the Conf. of the Rhine and not to the earlier Holy Roman Empire which was often referred to as "Germany" due to it's location.

It may not be them who are wrong.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »
Well, if it's a book about Napoleons march on Russia, where every German speaking nation, including Austria and Prussia, was allied to France and provided Napoleon with troops, then I dare say they are wrong.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 10:10:47 pm »
Well, if it's a book about Napoleons march on Russia, where every German speaking nation, including Austria and Prussia, was allied to France and provided Napoleon with troops, then I dare say they are wrong.

Meh, sometimes you miss things when skim reading.

Anyways, many authors do tend to generalize the Confederation of the Rhine as "Germany" and sometimes the more ignorant ones call Prussia that name. So that might explain it.

However it is a bit weird they said they were his enemies if the book solely focused on the Russian campaign.

I think most importantly though, is that if you use the knowledge you have of the era, you should be able to figure out which books are correct and which are not, and since you're loaning and not buying it isn't a big deal if you get the wrong book, but always compare the books to eachother. That said, most books about Napoleon are decent books for information and different aspects of his life.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:12:38 pm by Archduke_Sven »

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 10:14:46 pm »
Spoiler

These errors were?

[close]

Which is why I recommended multiple books to correlate the facts. Just a more specific question, though...the book may have been about the French invasion of Russia, but in what context was "Germany" referred to in? The War of the Third Coalition essentially establishes a basis upon which Napoleon could have imposed his Continental System, specifically with the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire. The Continental system is essentially "locked in" following the War of the Fourth Coalition, resulting in the defeat of Prussia at the hands of the French. Is it possible the book you're referring to used "Germany" to refer to the HRE during the War of the Third Coalition because of the ramifications of that conflict with regards to the implementation of the Continental System, and that said book began with this conflict to trace the existence of the Continental System up until the defiance of Alexander I, sparking the invasion of Russia?

Just curious.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 10:19:06 pm »
Most reliable sources tend to be the unedited journals from officers and rankers...

May I recommend?

The Diary of a Napoleonic Foot Soldier, by Jakob Walter.

Ironically, I will call him German, a foot soldier.