Author Topic: Wars of Liberation  (Read 1562 times)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
Wars of Liberation
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:19:21 pm »
Once in a while, a nation finds it upon itself to retake lost or historically culturally similar territory. Sometimes these wars are for the liberation of people, or the liberation or resources.

So my fellow FSE forumites, I ask you this. What are your personal favorite wars of Liberation. Or if you wish you could makes posts going against some wars (Some wars weren't as "Liberating" as others). When these wars happen, often times the soldiers fighting the war do show a higher level of devotion.

In so which, I will start with my personal favorite.

Now, historically speaking France and Germany have never been the best of friends. Even back in Roman times French Gauls fought as Auxillia against the Germanic tribes as Rome made it's final attempt to broaden it's borders. Wars continued into the Medieval era and the 1700s, where the two peoples fought in the War of Spanish Succession as the Kingdom of France and the Holy Roman Empire, along with smaller states such as Prussia and Bavaria.

Then moving into the Napoleonic Wars, smaller German states in France's sphere of influence allied with her against their larger counterparts, Prussia and the Austrian Empire. But this wouldn't last, and the confederation splintered and once again all German states fought against France.

Even into the 20th century Germany and France still grappled with each other's empires. In World War I Germans took Belgium, and fought against France and her allies again. In World War II, once again united under the banner of the NSDP, Germany took France and regained land lost in World War I, namely Poland.

But let's rewind a bit, to the war in which Germany first officially became an empire. Where Germans both Northern and Southern came together in arms to liberate a small area of land that had been long contested. A war, which both ended one empire and gave birth to a new one.

I am speaking about the Franco-Prussian War. Where a multitude of nations were brought together into one. Where the Bonaparte bloodline was permanently shattered in France. Where the German Empire that fought and fell in World War I was born. This battle for the Rhineland brought mass fervor for both sides. Napoleon III, hoping to walk in the footsteps of his grandfather wanted to crush the German attackers. But, that obviously did not happen. Instead he was captured, forced to abdicate the throne and then lived the rest of his life in England, where later on his descendant would die in the name of the English crown his forefathers fought so hard to defeat.

Ok I've walloftexted myself out. So, what do you guys think? What Liberation wars have you followed?

(Note: I'm not saying French and German people dislike each other on principle, just referencing history)
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Wars of Liberation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:31:08 pm »
I'd consider the 80 Years' War (1568-1648) as a war of liberation. Huzzah for Dutch independence from Spain.

Another I'd consider is the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453), particularly the reconquest of portions of France from England/Burgundy.

Perhaps the Second Schleswig War (1864) for the provinces of Holstein and Schleswig. (Austria and Prussia vs Demark).

These are the ones I could immediately come up with. If you're looking for more, I'd probably direct you to the Wars of Unification for Italy. A bit fuzzy today, so I apologize if the response isn't up to par.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:49:44 pm »
Irish War of Independence

For seven hundred years Britain's rule over Ireland had been resisted by attempts at rebellion and revolution, all of which ended in failure. Then, in 1916, a rebellion began, to be followed by a guerilla war which would change the nature of that rule forever.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:07:19 pm »
How about the...hmmm...I dunno, the actual war of Liberation in 1813-14? :p

The Dutch had their own war of liberation in that period too. And while the 80 years war wasn't even about coming an independant nation until after decades of fighting (Truly, it was about taxes. Dutch leaders said they wanted to remain loyal to the king, and that they were only fighting the evil govenor. Until they found out the Spanish king was a doucebag), THE 1813-14 WAR against the French actually was a true liberation war. Besides the militairy side of things, which is really intresting due to the small-scaled international fights and forces (Cossacks, Russian jagers, Prussian Hussars and Dutch militia fighting alongside eachother to defend a town, for example), politicaly it is rather intresting too. It's one of the few rebellions in the world where the guys (three noblemen) taking power actually give up that power as promised.

I'd love to give a longer explanation but typing on my phone sucks.