Author Topic: Prussian Regiment Histories?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Prussian Regiment Histories?
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:52:06 am »
Can anyone provide me with a good source for Prussian regiments during the Napoleonic Wars.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
Re: Prussian Regiment Histories?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:54:27 am »
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=4668.0

There's my topic of the Prussians at Waterloo, might give you some information you want.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 12:55:25 am »

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Doctor Scherzando

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reading abnormal levels of cancer in this sector
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorS.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:52:18 am »
Back when Menelaos was with us as the 1stFKI he wrote a very detailed report on the Lutzowches Freikorps.

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=181.0

EDIT: Wrote/Copied (Menelaos please confirm)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:03:14 am by Doctor Scherzando »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 01:57:14 am »
It almost looks like he threw the text trough an online translator...

What specificly do you need to know Ody? And more importantly, what period?

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 02:37:14 am »
Well as I mentioned, the Napoleonic Period (Anywhere from 1805-1804) and no specific regiment in mind.
Also, thanks for those links guys!

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:08:59 am »
Spoiler
       The Lutzow in the gift of God. Theodor Körner carries on the night before his death in front of his comrades his sword song.Is the painting of Theodor Korner with fellow Freikorps Members. The following is an account Transcribed by Menelaos of Theodor Korner's Participation in the Freikorps:

Theodor Korner left Vienna on the 15th of March, 1813, with good recommendations to the most influential men in the Prussian army. On his arrival at Breslau, he found that (the then) Major von Lutzow had announced the formation of the free-corps known by name. At his call, young youths poured in, on all sides, to fight for the deliverance of Germany. Zeeal for this best blessing of life united all classes; official men, literary and artists, last holders, and youths full of hope were assembled in his corps. Theodor Korner felt himself irresistibly attracted towards such a combination, and his joining the corps followed on the 19th of March, at his own request.

The lutzow free-corps distinguished themselves by their gallantry during the ramainder of the war, and proved a source of constant annoyance and hostility to the French. They differed from the mass of the army, inasmuch as they were a voluntary association, and were also remarkable for superior activity, enerygy and enterprise. Many of them made a vow to neither cut their hair nor their beards, till they had driven the French out of German; and this vow they punctually fulfilled.

Since the corps was voluntary, black trenchcoats became the uniform, being easy to gain without a large expense. Red trim was chosen for the rank insignia. With the addition of brass buttons, the unit wore a black-red-gold colour scheme, a combination that became associated with republican ideals. Throughout the 19th century, these anti-Napoleonic Freikorps were greatly praised and glorified by German nationalists, and a heroic myth built up around their exploits. This myth was invoked, in considerably different circumstances, in the aftermath of Germany's defeat in World War I.

[close]

This is from a book on google regarding Theodor Korner. The rest is taken from sources regarding the uniform history that I had to dig down hard to find. No online translator was used, if you need me to hook you up with information I can try my best. Basically, find engagement records, letters, descriptions, and anything useful. Since it's in German, that's why it was impossible to find over English searches. If you're interested in units, there's a few neat ones I can tell you about.

Offline Vorposten

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Youtube-channel
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:36:22 pm »
If you can understand German, than this page is the best:
http://www.preussenweb.de/regimentaltneu.htm
The "altpreußisch" is from 1701 up to 1807
The "neupreußisch" from 1808 up to WW1

If you don't understand german, I could help you  ;D
Gezeichnet,
69thNY_CSgt_Outpost | [DL]III_KBR_Sap_Vorposten | 3tesWaldeck_Fhr_Vorposten

Offline Doctor Scherzando

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reading abnormal levels of cancer in this sector
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorS.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:37:51 pm »
I'm bookmarking that. Excellent source of info, although not many specifics regarding each regiment.

Offline Brock

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 06:21:26 pm »