Author Topic: Favorite War to Learn About  (Read 14168 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Favorite War to Learn About
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 06:05:33 pm »
There is never a good or a bad, its just different perspectives of events. Anyone who tells you a certain side is bad or evil is incredibly narrow-minded.

Indeed, But Riddlez never suggested as such.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »
WW1: Clearly, Germany and allies = bad, rest: Good

I might be (probably am, history isn't really my strong point) wrong, but from what I learned in school, there wasn't really a bad or good side in WW1. Sure the central powers declared war first but the entente side was the one that assassinated Franz Ferdinand. I was under the impression that WW1 was more of a "this is what happens when you have big alliances of very nationalist empires" kind of thing.

DISCLAIMER: I make no claims of historical genius, I'm likely wrong :P
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 06:07:35 pm »
There is never a good or a bad, its just different perspectives of events. Anyone who tells you a certain side is bad or evil is incredibly narrow-minded.

Indeed, But Riddlez never suggested as such.

Nah, not directed towards you, just a grneral statement :P

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Doctor Scherzando

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reading abnormal levels of cancer in this sector
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorS.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 06:12:58 pm »

I might be (probably am, history isn't really my strong point) wrong, but from what I learned in school, there wasn't really a bad or good side in WW1. Sure the central powers declared war first but the entente side was the one that assassinated Franz Ferdinand. I was under the impression that WW1 was more of a "this is what happens when you have big alliances of very nationalist empires" kind of thing.

The Entente did not kill the Archduke, that was a pan-slavic group, located in Serbia. The Russians simply answered their Slavic brethren's call for help against the Austrians, and through a chain of secret alliances, France and Britain were dragged into the war. It was interesting, because apparently most Austrians didn't even really know/care about Ferdinand. Most people believe that the Austrians just used the assassination as an excuse to take Serbia, even though the Serbians weren't actually directly involved.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:15:49 pm by Doctor Scherzando »

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 07:51:05 pm »
I thought ww1 was started because the great powers of the world were just wanting to slit each other's throats, and thus, the assassination was the spark that ignited the gasoline which caused a chain reaction.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2013, 08:01:15 pm »
Nope, an immediate cause was Archduke Ferdinand being assassinated by Serbian nationalists. In reply Austro-Hungary was going to invade Serbia but Russia saw itself as the protector of Serbia. Russia did not want a war but thought if it partially mobilised the size of its army would scare the Austro-Hungarians off. But Germany, who was allied to Austro-Hungary, had its Schiefflen plan which dictated that if Russia mobilised then Germany would mobilise and invade France and Russia, so when Russia mobilised Germany told them to stop but only waited a couple days for a reply and went to war.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2013, 08:12:58 pm »

The Entente did not kill the Archduke, that was a pan-slavic group, located in Serbia. The Russians simply answered their Slavic brethren's call for help against the Austrians, and through a chain of secret alliances, France and Britain were dragged into the war. It was interesting, because apparently most Austrians didn't even really know/care about Ferdinand. Most people believe that the Austrians just used the assassination as an excuse to take Serbia, even though the Serbians weren't actually directly involved.
Britian and France had no alliances. Germany declared war on France and Britian declared war on Germany because they invaded neutral Belgium.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2013, 08:14:51 pm »
Actually they were, the fact that France was allied with Russia and Britain led to Britain allying with Russia in 1907 ;)

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2013, 08:41:04 pm »
Torn...

Have you never heard of the Entente? It was an Alliance between France and UK signed in 190(2 or 5, bad memory).

And France and Russia had been allied since the late 1800's. I hope Belgian schools didn't actually teach you that.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2013, 08:42:03 pm »
Britian didn't declare war because of some alliance. But because they had Belgium under their protection. Germany declared war on Belgium because we declined them to move troops through our lands because that would break our neutrallity. Since they invaded Belgium, UK declared war on Germany.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 08:47:23 pm »
Germany declaring war on Belgium was only part of the reason why UK decided to go to war on August the first, only 5 days after Austria declared war on Serbia and only 3 (?) after Germany went to war with Russia.

Also you said UK AND France, whereas both clearly had alliances.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 08:50:47 pm »
Germany declaring war on Belgium was only part of the reason why UK decided to go to war on August the first, only 5 days after Austria declared war on Serbia and only 3 (?) after Germany went to war with Russia.

Also you said UK AND France, whereas both clearly had alliances.
Germany declared war on Belgium because we didn't allow them to move their troops.

Belgium as a neutral country we couldn't allow it. Because of Germany invading Belgium UK declared war on Germany.
Don't tell me otherwise. I'm 100% sure about this.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 08:55:29 pm »
Well yes i explained briefly why UK went to war, there were several long term causes that pushed UK to war, Belgium was only the most immediate cause. If there weren't any other reasons the UK wouldn't bother to help Belgium. Well thats my hypothesis, and is quite logical according to me.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »
Well yes i explained briefly why UK went to war, there were several long term causes that pushed UK to war, Belgium was only the most immediate cause. If there weren't any other reasons the UK wouldn't bother to help Belgium. Well thats my hypothesis, and is quite logical according to me.
Not really because since belgium gained independance France and United Kingdom signed a treaty to protect Belgium's neutrallity. Surely there were other reasons. But Britian would've still helped.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 09:01:49 pm »
Well, i would type a long reply but im on my phone and im about to, ironicly, to Brussels.

Long story short, you have some valid points but i do not agree.

told that bih don't @ me