Author Topic: Favorite War to Learn About  (Read 14076 times)

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Favorite War to Learn About
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 01:28:54 pm »
I love learning about ww1 and ww2  id say ww1 is my favorite

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 01:50:28 pm »
Well, I see it's impossible to have a discussion without condescension. I bet you're a ton of fun at parties.

Docm just calls out the facts, puts in a bit of personal opinion on the side (though clearly mentioning it's personal opinion).

It's a style: Riddlez finds it quite nice, just saying how it is, no bullshit involved.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Doctor Scherzando

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reading abnormal levels of cancer in this sector
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorS.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 05:21:29 pm »
Civil discourse would go along the lines of "Actually, I think you're off the mark with that comparison. In reality, Hitler and Napoleon...", not "You're completely and utterly incorrect." (which is not the case)

Anyways, I suppose I'm not used to your "style" and apologize for the personal jab, which is pretty meaningless (after a few seconds of thought) considering I don't really know you at all.

I still think there are relevant comparisons. Of course it is obvious that Hitler and Napoleon were different in nearly every way. Especially with Napoleon declaring France the home of the Jews ;). Still, they were both extremely powerful rulers of rapidly expanding nations. They share that in common, and other similarities are bound to follow.
'

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 05:28:02 pm »
There is no point arguing with him, he just discredits everything you say and says everything he tells is correct. Yet he fails to realise its quite annoying and makes it difficult to have a 'civil' discussion. Aaand then he thinks you're just hotheaded when you get annoyed.

Either way, no offense to you Docm, you know what you're talking about... However you may want to think about taking the other person's part of the discussion into consideration instead of dismissing it as horseshit.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 05:35:20 pm »
There is no point arguing with him, he just discredits everything you say and says everything he tells is correct. Yet he fails to realise its quite annoying and makes it difficult to have a 'civil' discussion. Aaand then he thinks you're just hotheaded when you get annoyed.

Either way, no offense to you Docm, you know what you're talking about... However you may want to think about taking the other person's part of the discussion into consideration instead of dismissing it as horseshit.
Well ofcourse it's difficult to have a civil discussion because he comes in, states something and people take it personal and start complaining. Docm is very respected and he knows alot. He doesn't discredit everything you say he just corrects you. People are just to stubborn to admit they were wrong at something.

If i'd say something and I get corrected i'd be happy. Instead of living in a world were I believe in lies.

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 05:39:02 pm »
I've already apologized and I think Docm and I are now fine with each other. So perhaps everyone else could shush up and get back on topic.

I'm surprised the Crusades haven't come up yet. The Fourth Crusade specifically. Don't you just love when Christians trying to fight Muslims just end up fighting other Christians instead?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:49 pm »
Civil discourse would go along the lines of "Actually, I think you're off the mark with that comparison. In reality, Hitler and Napoleon...", not "You're completely and utterly incorrect." (which is not the case)

Anyways, I suppose I'm not used to your "style" and apologize for the personal jab, which is pretty meaningless (after a few seconds of thought) considering I don't really know you at all.

I still think there are relevant comparisons. Of course it is obvious that Hitler and Napoleon were different in nearly every way. Especially with Napoleon declaring France the home of the Jews ;). Still, they were both extremely powerful rulers of rapidly expanding nations. They share that in common, and other similarities are bound to follow.
'

Until now you have failed to say anything 'they were similar'. Docm has given multiple points why there weren't, you just keep repeating you are right by making very flat similarities. You can put Alexander the Great in that list too. Do you really compare Alexander the Great with Hitler?

When Napoleon came to power France had already went trough a decade of warfare. Germany did not see a war under Hitler until 1939 while he had been in absolute power for years.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »
Crusades? Bah They never have interested me. NEVER. I kinda hate them. Pointless killing and slaughtering.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 05:44:13 pm »
Yes, correcting people is a good thing to do, albeit not too often. However when you're talking about something which is defined on opinion and not fact, nobody is correct, so you can't correct anyone.

He has a lot of knowledge concerning history, and i generally respect people who are that knowledgeable, him included.

But yeah i mentioned before, i love learning on all ages of history.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 05:45:03 pm »
I've yet seen him correct someones opinion.  :o

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 05:48:51 pm »
Were the crusades just pointless killing? Yes. But I would pose the question: aren't all wars just pointless? Some conflicts probably seem more meaningful than others, but they still result in a bunch of dead young people. Maybe their country gained territory or money, but is it worth it? So even if the crusades were stupid, they are all the more interesting to learn about because of the idiocy that was involved in waging them.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 05:52:35 pm »
It always surprised Riddlez on how the 'Godd vs. Bad' idea in wars nearly always is there:

WW1: Clearly, Germany and allies = bad, rest: Good
WW2, exact same thing.
Vietnam: well, kinda obvious
Modern afghan war, too obvious

Though, with the ACW and the NW, there seems quite the lack of it, Napoleon isn't really viewed as bad. Nor are the confederates in the ACW, no?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
It always surprised Riddlez on how the 'Godd vs. Bad' idea in wars nearly always is there:

WW2, exact same thing.

Though, with the ACW and the NW, there seems quite the lack of it, Napoleon isn't really viewed as bad. Nor are the confederates in the ACW, no?
Correct. However I think that two examples of the clear boundary between good and bad is hardly sufficient to make an argument that it is "nearly always" present. Two reluctant conflicts out of thousands of wars.

And the Cold War was much more complicated considering the US supported right wing dictators while fighting against the communists.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:58:40 pm by Doctor Scherzando »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 05:58:27 pm »

WW2, exact same thing.

Why does that surprise you? Until the 20th century kids in the Netherlands were teach Napoleon was a ruthless invader who send half a million people to die because he just liked killing. Things tend to get more objective as time goes by. I don't see 'bad or good' roles given out to World war I nations anymore, as well. Same goes with WWII as we speak. In a few decades we will have the same opinion of World war II nations as we do of the Napoleonics now.

'The government was bad but the soldiers were just normal people' - That kinda thing. Which isn't entirely wrong...but well, that's just politics.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 05:59:32 pm »
There is never a good or a bad, its just different perspectives of events. Anyone who tells you a certain side is bad or evil is incredibly narrow-minded.

told that bih don't @ me