Author Topic: Epic last stands  (Read 16691 times)

Offline Venom

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Epic last stands
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 07:50:21 am »
hands down monte cassino

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 07:40:48 am »
This one isn't as well known as I think it should be. So during the first Anglo-Afghan war of 1839 - 1842 the East India Trading Company sent an army of ~4500 to take Kabul. Captured Kabul, but English rule eventually leads to an uprising. The English commander of the force, William George Keith Elphinstone basically surrenders his gunpowder reserves and brand new muskets, in return they are allowed to retreated to  Jalalabad unharmed.

The retreat started on January 6th, with 12,000 soldiers and camp followers. As soon as the retreat starts, it's a disaster, and Afghan tribesmen start harassing and sniping them.fast forward 6 days, and only 200 soldiers are left. The soldiers need to break through the Afghan defenses to get to 
Jalalabad. A group of about 45 soldiers from the 44th Regiment of Foot, find themselves completely surrounded. They are freezing, starving, dehydrated, and only have two muskets rounds a piece. When called to surrender, they refuse and fight off multiple waves of Afghans before being over run and having all but a few of their number killed (there were a few prisoners).

Now I am not super familiar with the time period or subject, so feel free to correct me :P.

Here is a picture of the last stand

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1842_retreat_from_Kabul
Pointy stick champion

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 09:05:06 am »
Spoiler
This one isn't as well known as I think it should be. So during the first Anglo-Afghan war of 1839 - 1842 the East India Trading Company sent an army of ~4500 to take Kabul. Captured Kabul, but English rule eventually leads to an uprising. The English commander of the force, William George Keith Elphinstone basically surrenders his gunpowder reserves and brand new muskets, in return they are allowed to retreated to  Jalalabad unharmed.

The retreat started on January 6th, with 12,000 soldiers and camp followers. As soon as the retreat starts, it's a disaster, and Afghan tribesmen start harassing and sniping them.fast forward 6 days, and only 200 soldiers are left. The soldiers need to break through the Afghan defenses to get to
Jalalabad. A group of about 45 soldiers from the 44th Regiment of Foot, find themselves completely surrounded. They are freezing, starving, dehydrated, and only have two muskets rounds a piece. When called to surrender, they refuse and fight off multiple waves of Afghans before being over run and having all but a few of their number killed (there were a few prisoners).

Now I am not super familiar with the time period or subject, so feel free to correct me :P.

Here is a picture of the last stand

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1842_retreat_from_Kabul
[close]
Yeah im familiar with that story too, although i don't think the fought off several waves of attacks. They weren't in any condition to fight back really, but they showed a great deal of bravery. Only 2 people survived the ordeal, one was a captain who by wrapping the colors around himself was mistaken for a high ranking offical and was taken prisoner, the other one was a surgeon who rode a mule back to Jalalabad.

I didn't check to see if anyone mentioned it, but have you guys heard of the Gloucestershire regiment in the last stage of the Korean war? They made a last stand atop of a hill.

Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Imjin_River

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Praetorian

• Sergeant
  • Smexy Col of the 22e!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 22e_Col_Praetorian
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 09:52:18 pm »
Bastogne

Offline Venom

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 05:08:14 pm »
but bastonge held out bro ???

Offline Praetorian

• Sergeant
  • Smexy Col of the 22e!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 22e_Col_Praetorian
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 08:32:07 pm »
but bastonge held out bro ???
Yeah but it was still there last stand they didnt know if they were gonna survive or not but they tried to survive anyway.

Offline OGNValjean

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gordon Goldstein
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 05:57:58 am »
2 Moments.

The 1st Was when OGN was Dragoons against the Bruhlans.

We Dismounted along a nice riverbed with was overlooking the entire map. The Bruhlans attempted twice to push us away, and upon the 2nd charge recieved heavy cavalry casualties along with minor casualities across a good 200 M Run. We then became flanked from the rear and rapidly deployed fire in which the Bruhlans gave one last charge along with a battered line(Battered by us) and quickly over ran the river with heavy casualties.

The 2nd was when OGN was foot.

We stood in place on a hill and skrimished with the 1stEPG across the map in which I shot one of me former men, to which we then recieved a fatal volley on our right.
I Valjean, was the last survior and told my men to stand firm and reloaded and shot their officer in the face. Shortly after hussars came at me in which I killed one before being trampled and cut to my death.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 02:13:59 pm »
Spoiler
2 Moments.

We Dismounted along a nice riverbed with was overlooking the entire map. The Bruhlans attempted twice to push us away, and upon the 2nd charge recieved heavy cavalry casualties along with minor casualities across a good 200 M Run. We then became flanked from the rear and rapidly deployed fire in which the Bruhlans gave one last charge along with a battered line(Battered by us) and quickly over ran the river with heavy casualties.

We stood in place on a hill and skrimished with the 1stEPG across the map in which I shot one of me former men, to which we then recieved a fatal volley on our right.
I Valjean, was the last survior and told my men to stand firm and reloaded and shot their officer in the face. Shortly after hussars came at me in which I killed one before being trampled and cut to my death.
[close]

You are aware that this is in the subforum titled 'Historical Discussion', right? As such, it would be safe to assume that game related comments belong.. elsewhere..

Offline OGNValjean

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gordon Goldstein
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:33 pm »
Spoiler
2 Moments.

[close]

You are aware that this is in the subforum titled 'Historical Discussion', right? As such, it would be safe to assume that game related comments belong.. elsewhere..

You do realise the 2nd or 3rd, I believe 2nd, is of a video in NW about their Regiment's Last stand?
Nope.

Also in my mind, everything that is said and done and thus written about is history(Latin for the Written Word) thus that makes your arguement invalid, amiright mr technical?

But avast, drink till the rum is gone.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 09:26:43 pm »
Spoiler
2 Moments.

[close]

You do realise the 2nd or 3rd, I believe 2nd, is of a video in NW about their Regiment's Last stand?
Nope.

Also in my mind, everything that is said and done and thus written about is history(Latin for the Written Word) thus that makes your arguement invalid, amiright mr technical?

I'm not sure what you are blabbing about, but this is a historical discussion thread, thus the 3rd post was off-topic, and so what the post about the Bruhlans.

Offline Gizmo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gizmo
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 03:46:50 pm »
The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shiroyama part of the Satsuma rebellion.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 05:26:16 pm »
Nope.

It was still off-topic, and shouldn't have been posted.

What? You know what, I'm done. You're as intelligent as a penguin, and I'm done trying to avoid offending you when you bring up items irrelevant to any debate you take part in. Learn to debate, or even engage in a conversation within society. You are not, despite what you may think, always right. Nor are you even right occasionally. In fact, most of the time you are horribly, painfully wrong.

To keep this somewhat on-topic;
The Shangani Patrol is quite the interesting engagement and subsequent last-stand.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:56:00 pm by TheBoberton »

Offline Hawkes

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 09:31:19 pm »

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 09:51:39 pm »
Battle of the Bulge

Offline Archibald_Buchanan

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 11:40:28 pm »
The last fight of the Bismarck was an great last stand,one ship against an fleet.