Author Topic: Wasting time.  (Read 16991 times)

Lawbringer

Re: Wasting time.
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2015, 09:49:18 am »
My name is Getty and my boys are top memesters bc I throw the non-memesters in the ovens of Auschwitz

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2015, 11:51:56 am »
Spoiler
It's called time management.  It's up to you to control if you have an addiction or not, you cannot blame anyone or any entity for it.  It's a game after all and the satisfaction of playing this game may be higher than that of doing real life stuff, for me I found that balance years ago.

I feel sorry for those who play Groupfighting everyday, I agree with the idea that some are addicted. I personally rarely play and even when I was playing with a regiment I'd only play for events then piss off to do something else. I think the game dies quicker for leaders as it's like being a mother to 80 retarded children.
This...very true
You are so right...
Your regiment wouldn't be filled with 80 retarded children if you actually monitored and had standards for acceptance. I do this and my regiment is probably only about 10% retarded and none are children.
[close]

Oh I did. I'm guessing you've never been in an event/regiment with me. It was more directed to leaders without a backbone, I invite from time to time and I leave most with a headache from people talking about what they had for dinner.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2015, 11:57:36 am »
I stopped the game (atleast the community activity) after nearly 5000 hours on Mount and Blade Warband, in overall 4 years of gaming. Even though it took a consequent amount of my time, it was a wonderfull experience and I hardly regret a single hour of it. It's all about assuming the choices you make.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Moral

• Volunteer
  • Resident artillery gunner.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Moral
  • Side: Union
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2015, 12:09:58 pm »
Life is a game.
Why do you care how much time you play a game?
Did it make you happy while you played, did you have fun trying to reach those goals?
Then don't regret it. You'll never get that time back, so think of the times you did have fun playing.

Suns

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2015, 03:12:39 am »
As long as it made you happy during those years, it was not wasted time imo.  :)

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 03:49:48 am »
Lol for me it never made me happy, it was just a goal/obligation, and an arbitrary one as well.

Pointy stick champion

Offline Hugonaut

• Donator
  • He that cannot obey cannot command -B. Franklin
    • View Profile
    • 29th Worcestershire
  • Nick: 29th_Col_Hugonaut
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2015, 04:46:59 am »
Walko gets it! I always liked you Walko. You're a smart man. With the exception of not joining the 29th! lol. gg no re.

NW is a waist of life. What I am seeing is the intelligent people are realizing this and quitting. It was a shame to be sucked into it in the first place. It's such a delusion that we all have or are dealing/dealt with. I personally think it's a actual problem.

I actually wrote something like this a month or so ago.

Spoiler
You guys won't like this.
I come back and poke on the forums every month maybe just to see how it's going, and see if there is any new devblogs. There never is.....But that's not the point. I'm here and I'm on a rant.
/startrant

Hi everyone, I'm Hugo and I'm a teamaholic.

I regret every second. A lot of you guys say that you've "met cool people" or "learned things" but the reality is this is a game, and there is next to nothing to actually be learned. And you haven't really met anyone. The best skill that can be achieved from playing this game is having the ability to administer/babysit children on the internet.

The game itself isn't even fun. It's aggravating, time consuming, and filled with douchebags. It's the community, the politics involved, and the people you play with that make it addicting. The time period is interesting and it's the only one of its kind. And that what makes the game seem to be worth while. But read my lips! IT'S A WAIST OF TIME!

To play as a ranker in this game is to sacrifice X hours of your life every week. Only to impress internet people. Your rank only signifies how well you function in an internet community. If you're a Sgt in the xxth no one cares. No one ever will. Even if you actually meet someone from the game IRL they still really don't care.  No one really does. You're all lying to yourselves about how it really isn't a waiste of time because you're all to scared of life. To go out and actually experience it. And I'm guilty of the same crime. At least I was.

As a officer/reg leader you learn how to babysit. And I saw Karth's post about the air force. If you think leading a regiment will help you in the military your world is upside down. Especially an officer in it. ESPECIALLY A PILOT! Leading/being a CO in a regiment takes a tremendous amount of time, dedication, and hard work. Now. think if you took all that power, all that drive and put it towards something real. Anything real. I don't care and neither does anyone in this community. Some people may think that what you're doing in life is interesting, and maybe you have some friends on here that you feel are real friends. Let me tell you something about them. They are real friends. But they're not REAL. Yeah, they're a real person on the other side of a keyboard. But they're not really there for you. They can't really help you, all they can do for you is play games with you. And what really is a game?  A game is an activity engaged in for diversion or amusement. Diversion. Diversion from what? REAL LIFE. The sooner you guys realize this the better. And karth. If you are serious about joining the AF, I preemptively thank you for serving. Not now but if you do(it's hard to be a officer nowadays with the peacetime and such).

Now some of you guys (a lot) of you guys are still in HS, Middle school, and I know they're are some 12thyearolds too(I had to!). And I urge you guys to not get swept into this diversion. If I could relive my life I would have never bought the game. In HS and below you guys haven't started life yet. There is not a whole lot that can really be done above and beyond. But let me carry on that point. You could. You could do almost anything else outside of this game in HS. Even drugs. And I'm not advocating drugs, but at least it's a real experience. But my point is this game is an utter waist of energy, life, and thousands upon thousands of player hours. Don't do drugs. Do something constructive. Like join 4H. or boyscouts, the list goes on. Just stop playing the game.

So for me personally I was addicted as one can be to this game. Line battles gave me a euphoric rush. And I told myself that it's what I enjoy(I did, and I still would) and I'd do it forever. And I was sincerely intending to do so. I told myself "eh, It'll keep me out of drugs." but playing this game didn't even stop that. Another really interesting thing, that I've heard time and time again from players is "I'd go hand out with my friends but nothing is ever going on." That's a lie a lot of us tell to ourselves. We all have friends. Not all of us, but most of us(I'm talking real life here). I would pull this card. You pull this card. We all do. But the brutal reality is that we all are/were letting life, and our friends pass us by. Sometimes you have to pick up the phone and make some plans. sometimes you have to leave the computer off and see what's actually going on in the world. Once I realized this stuff it hurt. It's not easy, nor fun to actually partake in real life. It's hard. But that's the problem we have as gamers. We don't want to grow up. But I urge you to do so.

This game was my addiction and I successfully kicked it to the curb. Doing so free'd up so much of my time.  Since the 29th disbanded I've lost 54 pounds. Gained some real life life long friends, and had a lot more time, energy and dedication to actually think about my life and how to further my self in this world. For me I was addicted to the team. Being on a team meant a lot to me, and still does. I had lost interest in the game long before the 29th disbanded. But it was the feeling of being on a team, and not letting internet people down is what brought me back time and time again. And a lot of you may never be able to shake that feeling. For you reg leaders: it only gets harder to disband. Never easier. You'll never outgrow it. You just have to say I'm done. And then a couple months down the road you'll realize how much of an idiot you were(for playing).

One thing I would like to urge is if you find yourselves addicted to the team atmosphere go join the military. Karth knows what's up. Even though his world is a little upside down. And I still can't shake the team mentality. And I never will. So I've joined the Army as a Medic and I intend to do that for as long as I can.

Most of you guys are good people and I hope you become successful in life. I'm just trying to help out in any way that I can and I hope this cleared up some things for you.

I've been clean since  Aug 15, 14
So what have we learned?
-You learn how to be in an internet clan
-all the time and effort you put into learning how to be in an internet clan has got you no where in real life, now you're 250 pounds, eat hot pockets for breakfast, lunch, and supper, and lie to yourself about achieving a meaningless title in an internet clan that means nothing in real life. But hey, you're having fun.
-No friends
-No time
I'm going to leave you guys with this and if there is a god. I hope you guys take heed to my words. Thanks for reading.
Spoiler
[close]
/endrant

-Hugo
[close]

Offline The Rebel

• Major
  • Drew Lock has a horse cock
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 9/18/14 Never Forget
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2015, 04:51:45 am »
Its a waste of time. Probs will quit. But you know, no one cares

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2015, 05:25:58 am »
Over the past three and a half years I have spent 2,220 hours on Warband, the vast vast vast majority of that in NW / MM. Most of that time was devoted to trying to make my regiment a better one, whether I was the one leading or someone else. For me, most of my time spent was seen as trying to A) make a difference in the community or in my regiment B) just enjoy pretending to live in a time in history that I love learning about.  I think B more than anything was why I stuck around so long. They rewards of success were so much greater than the agony of putting up with the drama and bs that the game and community flings around, or at least they seemed greater then. Looking back, really the only thing I regret is not spending more time with my friends IRL. I have no regrets about leading my regiment and devoting nearly 2 years of my spare time to it. It was a great escape from the stress of school, and if I had to go back and do it all over again, knowing what I would be getting in to, I still think I would. There would be some differences, sure. But I would still have spent my time with a community and game I enjoyed. Unfortunately that enjoyment died out when I got tired of this game and being restricted to a strict schedule. When i finally retired in September 2014 it was just phenomenal how much time I had and how much I could devote to other things that mean more. Since then I'm proud to say I've only been to 1 linebattle, and it's been almost six months since I've played NW at all. All that's over now and I'm focusing on college, music and my career right now, as it should be. The thing that gets me is... I've spent 40 days of my life on this damn forum. That... that I can't get over.

TL:DR, had a lot of fun, got bored after three years. 8/10 would do again.

And I just love how certain community members see this game as alcoholism. Soon there will be enough of us to start NW Retiree's Anonymous.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:29:36 am by Newkirk »

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:40 am »
You guys are desperate, lol
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2015, 11:27:44 am »
You guys makes this more depressing than it needs to be. Be optimistic and look at the amount of good times you had with your friends or just people you were in ts with. If you really found out that it wasn't fun then really, you would have left way earlier.
The first modder for NW.

Offline Michael Fish

• Major
  • Ubique
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stRHA_Col_Fish
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2015, 12:17:26 pm »
You guys makes this more depressing than it needs to be. Be optimistic and look at the amount of good times you had with your friends or just people you were in ts with. If you really found out that it wasn't fun then really, you would have left way earlier.
+1

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2015, 02:36:30 pm »
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline chuckdeezoo

• First Sergeant
  • Trolling on the river
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4teSLR_SGmnr_DeeZoo
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2015, 05:59:49 pm »
@Walko @Hugonaut.

If you really hated your time in this game so much, why are you guys even on the forums here?

Offline NickyJ

• Major General
  • The Twilight Zone
    • View Profile
  • Nick: LIR_Lieut_NickyJ
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2015, 07:26:50 pm »
@Walko @Hugonaut.

If you really hated your time in this game so much, why are you guys even on the forums here?
So that they may save us from our addictive ways that will land us in homeless shelters and halfway houses. If we're lucky, they may even give us a 25% discount for their books when they come out describing how they turned their lives around, and how we can too.