Author Topic: What IS killing the game?  (Read 64005 times)

Offline Danik

• First Lieutenant
  • Better than Justin Bieber since 1960
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: What IS killing the game?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:50:56 am »
Just wondering, how many have actually played this since the early beta of mm mod? You know, back when we played 30-40 guys on a public server and the admins commanded their teams and made public linebattles without teamspeak. It was even before the making of clans and "regiments" which happened after the waterloo battle in which teamspeak was used for the first time.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51:50 am »
I never played MM, but all of the stories I hear make it sound like it was truly a golden age.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 01:03:10 am »
I dont think its dying...

just look at the NA regiments that have 40-50 attendance  in the past couple of months.

it also doesnt help that the devs stopped working on it  :P

Offline tacticalretreat

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 01:28:58 am »
I joined around the time of the first waterloo event, I do think a lot of those people are following the community but more in the background and less in the forefront of the game. BCOF will bring all the oldies back and new people which will be great for the community. This game isn't being killed per say, I mean when you say 'killed' it means there isn't any events going on and the game has literally stagnated. The game has plenty of activity but my point is that the dlc will see serious decline at BCOF's release. Its inevitable, games die as new and better games come out. The one thing this community has is the fact that its a unique style of gameplay and a hardcore fan base that keeps it going. A fan base which will move to BCOF as it has done from BattleGrounds to Mount & Musket and finally Napoleonic Wars. Battle Cry Of Freedom is next ;)

So don't worry that so called 'golden age' will exist again, and you will have those extremely active public servers with regiments spamming chat all over again and pubbers making fake reg tags so they don't get asked to join a regiment lol

Offline Tor

• First Sergeant
  • Beidh muid ag troid ar son Uncail Sam, beidh sé ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 01:59:48 pm »
What if Pewdiepie made a few videos on NW? It'd be a mixed blessing. We'd get a tonne of new members, but they'd be fanboys of the shithead that is "Pewds"

Criken made a whole series about trolling on it. Markiplier had a small bit with Gamegrumps where they went to an event and played as foot guards. Sadly, popularity, you know. It did nothing. :(

I've reached enlightenment, I can send messages to this forum via beard.

The only time people say Wiki isn't reliable is when it doesn't support their argument. The rest of the time they're always using it.

Offline Christopher

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just another plebian
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:01 pm »
I actually PM'd him like 4 months ago asking for him to make NW videos to help revive the game. Tragic that he didn't read it. Anyways, would be nice to see Diplex and Speirs make videos, they got me into the game and got me to join a regiment after seeing that. Perhaps FSE could buy a commercial to some massively viewed event like a sports match to get publicity  ::)

If I remember correctly about a month or so ago Speirs was talking about some community teamspeak he was going to be setting up and was saying something about starting some communities in it and I believe he mentioned NW. Not sure if he ever actually got the ts but I'm guessing someone could find out.
“It is the way of the Guard. We stay as long as we can. Fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more do we move on.”
"La garde meurt mais ne se rend pas! (Translation: The guard dies but does not surrender!)"

Wisconsin best state of Sin

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 04:08:50 pm »
What if Pewdiepie made a few videos on NW? It'd be a mixed blessing. We'd get a tonne of new members, but they'd be fanboys of the shithead that is "Pewds"
I actually PM'd him like 4 months ago asking for him to make NW videos to help revive the game. Tragic that he didn't read it. Anyways, would be nice to see Diplex and Speirs make videos, they got me into the game and got me to join a regiment after seeing that. Perhaps FSE could buy a commercial to some massively viewed event like a sports match to get publicity  ::)
I don't think we want his fans here...

Offline Kaariki

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:25 pm »
A Youtuber named Robbaz does quite a few warband videos, at the moment he's doing a playthrough of the mod 'Clash of Kings'
He's got around 800,000 subscribers.

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
  • PM me for pics, cutest Grimbarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 04:51:47 pm »
Robbaz is my favourite. Replace Pewdiepie with him and the world will be saved!
Current:
Past: 63e CdB, 43rd Ens, 28th Lt, 1stElbe Lt

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 05:33:57 pm »
I'm kind of amused Disney bought out a terrible Lets Player in general.

I closed the previous thread as tone wise it was going weird places and we've pretty much covered why there has a been a wee bit of an exodus this last year.

In my opinion, we can't really stop the general decrease of players but instead should be working towards bringing back older ones and keeping things fresh enough so people might not get bored and leave in the first place.

Consider contacting or asking old friends who dabbled in the past, client side mods or just playing events in Total Conversion mods we have too. Speaking of events, the reigments or people in charge should consider trying custom maps or just shaking things up by changing the game mode every now and then. Maybe experiment with having events at a slightly later or earlier time.

We could also do with with a new promotional STEAM Event Group with an active staff with a good selection process to prevent bellends from abusing the system. I left the old one almost a year ago because some clown thought abusing his annoucement rights was hilarious.

We as a whole community can really do a lot more to keep things going. The NW community won't entirely die too, It will however close up and become a lot less accessible for newer players or mods to take off which we must prevent from happening.

Oh, and a STEAM sale or reduction in price would help a lot too.

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 09:05:38 pm »
Its an old game with a fading engine and graphics set in an extremely niche market.
Organised line battle events regardless of how "rigid" or "loose" your rules, are comparatively a very rigid structure of play with pre-defined rules outside of those the game engine enforces.

Add in the setting and you are only making the target audience even smaller and most of those who would be interested will already have tried it by this point in the games life cycle.
Sadly timezones do their treacherous magic and prevent huge segments of the community from ever interacting with each other to make things more difficult.

It was always the way a game like this was going to go, the remaining community just needs to actually work together to keep the events going. Put old grudges aside (can you even remember why half of them started?), actually talk to each other when something upsets you/your regiment in an event and resolve it rather than throwing toys out of the pram and rage quitting.

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 11:46:32 pm »
Just to boost my E-Peen, I came here from MM.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 12:59:34 am »
What I just dealt with reguarding the end of a infamous regiment, we really do not need that stuff at all as well while we're on the subject.

I think we'd all agree such beef should be kept off the forums.

Offline tacticalretreat

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 02:18:47 am »
It was always the way a game like this was going to go, the remaining community just needs to actually work together to keep the events going. Put old grudges aside (can you even remember why half of them started?), actually talk to each other when something upsets you/your regiment in an event and resolve it rather than throwing toys out of the pram and rage quitting.
+1 for this, some of these hatreds date back to mm ffs. I think its time to stop it

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
  • PM me for pics, cutest Grimbarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 02:26:34 am »
+1 for this, some of these hatreds date back to mm ffs. I think its time to stop it
Shut up, troll.

:-*
Current:
Past: 63e CdB, 43rd Ens, 28th Lt, 1stElbe Lt