Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 530905 times)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The General Political Thread
« Reply #1680 on: September 28, 2017, 08:26:11 pm »
There's no room for extremes in modern politics. The furthest you'll ever get is someone like Jeremy Corbyn who isn't nearly as far left as the afd are far right. I doubt they'll take hold.

The political climate in the UK is very different to that of Germany. We might only go so far as Comrade Corbyn over here, but there's plenty of room for AfD in Germany (t. the election results, lol).

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1681 on: September 28, 2017, 08:30:38 pm »
No Theodin but you can use your brain.

I'm just talking about the general trend. Sure they became a big part of german politics but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Offline fruitocino

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18e SgtMaj
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1682 on: September 28, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »
I speculate it'll be quite the contrary: the situation will only get worse as more economic migrants come into Germany, resulting in even more social strife on top of that already caused by the poor integration of migrants from 2015 on wards.
I don't think the Afd will be able to capitalise on the refugee situation in the next election as much as they did this year. Like the financial crisis of 2008 it will eventually settle down as the years go by. That being said, I hope we're gonna see a new coalition because another CDU/SPD term wouldn't do both parties any good.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #1683 on: September 28, 2017, 10:47:08 pm »

I'm just talking about the general trend. Sure they became a big part of german politics but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Our brains are very biased tho

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: September 28, 2017, 10:50:31 pm »

Our brains are very biased tho
I'm not speaking from a biased position. It's the truth. Extreme parties flourish in times of fear and then they die out in time.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: September 28, 2017, 10:55:54 pm »
They also dissappear because other parties take over their salient political points. AfD will have an effect on German politics long after they're gone.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: September 29, 2017, 05:42:20 am »
A ‘joke’ that won a massive section in German Parliament in an extremely short time span in a country that can’t go 5 minutes without blaming itself for the world wars. Either way it’s too late; Germany is lost as well as most of mainland Europe.

The party organization is a joke whom couldn't even manage to keep the party togheter for a day after the election.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:00:00 am by Furrnox »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: September 29, 2017, 06:06:57 pm »
Just because a party has defections doesn't mean the party is badly organized. One defection out of 94 members also isn't exactly a party not keeping together, especially if that defection comes from a member that lost her bid for power. If the party really was falling apart, you would have seen full-fledged splits already, long before the election. The AfD has a larger share of the vote then the Greens (Exists since 1980), The Left (2007) or FDP (1948) ever received.

I won't surprise anyone when I say I strongly oppose the platform of the AfD and seriously question some of their statements and statements of their (elected) members. But to simply ignore it on the basis of bad results (Outwinning every other third party in Germany's modern history), bad organization (One defection out of 94 members because of a leader dispute) or because they probably won't be able to achieve much in their opposition role (ignoring the fact that parties can and do influence eachother and the politics of their country without ever holding office) is to deny facts. Worse, it will only create more resentment from AfD-voters, a majority of whom state they did not vote because of the AfD platform but as a way to protest and influence Merkel. These are voters that gladly will vote CDU again after it re-aligns to a more conservative political positioning.

But don't forget, another large group of protest voters are from Die Linke, which used to be THE party of the anti-Wessie-esthablishment. In fact, in percentage, die Linke lost far more votes to the Afd (about 10%) then the CDU (5%). While the CDU will work to regain disappointed conservative voters from the west, Die Linke will do the same in the east. Both will become more socially conservative, tougher on immigration and more nationalist in nature.

So will the AfD see a decline in votes in 2021? Yes, probably, because the CDU/CSU, and in fact, the whole of German politics, will have re-aligned to appeal to those voters. The CDU cannot move to the crowded German left, so what else could be their strategy? Add to that the fact that Merkel will probably be replaced by a new face for that election. My money is on a candidate who will stay just clear of openly criticizing Merkel but never miss an opportunity to express his or her regret for the mistakes made 'by the government' in that period. Besides, during the next election, the AfD will have to either find a really good reason to campaign with continued 'principled opposition' or change its platform to include the possibility of entering the government - which means working with their political rival, the CDU and letting go of their strong anti-esthablishment views.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:17:50 pm by Duuring »

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #1688 on: September 29, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »
Well written

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: September 29, 2017, 06:24:13 pm »
Added something about Die Linke. The fact that the AfD has replaced the Die Linke as the voice of disappointed East Germans is pretty much ignored. Probably because people think they must be completely opposed to eachother, even though they share the anti-establishment and anti-EU party identity. But fact is the CDU has lost more voters to the FDP then to AfD, though this can also be explained by FDP-voters returning from a flirt with the CDU. It's easier and more appealing for the CDU to re-align to the right (because of its conservative voter base) than to FDP voters, also because the FDP has a far stronger party organization and is much less likely to disappear.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: September 29, 2017, 09:17:30 pm »
I heard some rumor about Frauke Petry forming her own party with her supporters (die blauen?).
That's what I'm basing my "bad organization" of but I haven't really keept up in the last couple of days.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:19:26 pm by Furrnox »

Offline Phoen!x

• Major
  • RGL Inventor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 29, 2017, 09:34:00 pm »
I heard some rumor about Frauke Petry forming her own party with her supporters (die blauen?).
That's what I'm basing my "bad organization" of but I haven't really keept up in the last couple of days.

Nothing major has happened yet

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 29, 2017, 09:47:16 pm »
It would be a bad time to defect. The AfD gained the biggest victory in their existance, and the whole leadership issue was around making the party more electable and changing to a governing-willing platform. Leaving based on the first issue would be ridicious, and based on the second issue would be pre-mature since no government has yet been made, nor would a split-off from the AfD be necessary to govern in the so-called Jamaican coalition (CDU/CSU, Grüne, FDP) or an unlikely continuation of the Grand Coalition (CDU/CSU, SDP). The only theoretic possibility would be if the Grüne decide not to enter in a coalition and Frauke Petry manages to convince at least another 28 AfD'ers to defect, but that's a very unlikely scenario.

I think it's more likely that the AfD's internal struggle (which, make no mistake, is still there) will escalate again after either perceived failures of the AfD leadership or members of its radical wing go too far in the eyes of the moderate wing. That might lead to more defections (The far right is really its own worst enemy in that regard), but it's really too early to say.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: September 30, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »
Results for the Iraqi Kurdistan referendum are in 93% yes for independece.

Now let's get ready for another illegal referendum tomorrow bois!

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 30, 2017, 09:27:08 pm »
Police blocking some of the polling stations I think. This is gonna go down well.