The Lounge > Off Topic

The General Political Thread

(1/1207) > >>

Duuring:
So, as we already have US Politics and UK Politics threads, and 90% of off-topic activity is on politics anyway, we might as well make this one about the upcoming elections.

March 15 - Dutch General Election. Polling puts Wilders at a win, but followed by current Prime Minister Rutte's (right-wing) Liberals. After that are pretty much all parties polling at anything between 15 to 5 seats, followed by a scatting of new parties wanting to get into parliament. It sure is a mess, and nobody really knows what we'll be waking up to on march the 16th.

April 23 - French Presidentiel Elections. Le Pen. Yeah, this needs no introduction.

11 & 18 June - French parliamentary elections

24 September 2017 - German Federal Elections. To Merkel, or not to Merkel?

I wonder, how many fellow Dutchmen or French and German members of our forum are eligable to vote?

And of course, no political thread is complete without a contest:

One free Custom Title for the period of a week for the non-Dutchman who can accurately guess the number of parties that will be on the Dutch ballot.

BabyJesus:
Is Le Pen actually winning in France?

Duuring:
Le Pen is extremely likely to gain entry into the second round. What happens next is the real question.

From another thread:

--- Quote from: Theodin on January 29, 2017, 05:53:23 pm ---What's the main Dutch centre-right party? I assume it's not Wilders.

--- End quote ---

Now, it's the VVD, commonly known as the Liberals in english texts which is slighty deceiving. They're a centre-right party, which has more progressive wing, but also a good deal of non-religious conservatives. Between 1977 and 2010, the main centre-right was occupied by the CDA, the Christian-Democrats, who have declined into medium-size. They might make a slight gain in the election.

On the centre-left, I'd argue that we might end up with having no main centre-left party after the election.

Riddlez:
Though since CDA abandoned their religious main course, they became centre-left.

Brave Sir Charge:
I dont know what i'll be voting, I'd like to see defence getting more funding though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version