Author Topic: Where would I get a Napoleonic Prussian uniform?  (Read 8248 times)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Where would I get a Napoleonic Prussian uniform?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 10:30:01 pm »
Rebs are supposed to have bad uniformity. It's part of the uniformity. :P I'd call out Yanks if they had a bad mix of Zouaves or Rebs if they go all "shirt brigade" which I've seen before.

...and you're right about the small scale events being typically more mix-matched. Millander showed me a video of Austerlitz 2007 and the uniformity was pretty good there, although absolutely no one took a hit until 45 minutes into the video... when it was ending. Also the melees were just terrible. Yelling into each other's faces and just compressing the lines as if they're trying to fit into a subway train muskets held port arms.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 10:49:24 pm »
Rebs are supposed to have bad uniformity. It's part of the uniformity. :P I'd call out Yanks if they had a bad mix of Zouaves or Rebs if they go all "shirt brigade" which I've seen before.

...and you're right about the small scale events being typically more mix-matched. Millander showed me a video of Austerlitz 2007 and the uniformity was pretty good there, although absolutely no one took a hit until 45 minutes into the video... when it was ending. Also the melees were just terrible. Yelling into each other's faces and just compressing the lines as if they're trying to fit into a subway train muskets held port arms.

You honestly don't expect people to start stabbing at eachother for real? Cavalry fights and cavarly versus infantry fights are more 'realistic' (Sabres and muskets clash) but infantry versus infantry tends to be safer.

Realisiticly bayonet fights barely happened in open battles - Usually one rank ran before they clashed, which happens in Re-enactment a lot too.

I agree with you on the hit-taking. It might be because Napoleonic re-enactments provide powder, meaning everybody has a load of cartridges and nobody wants to stop shooting. Taking prisoners never happens, which I find sad. We do have people running to desert to the enemy, which is fun...but not entirely accurate.

At waterloo the entire 8eme Demi-brigade fell dead, which was awesome....and then they revived and marched back to the front (while being behind the allies). They did have the manners to march around the flank and fight from the French side, instead of takin the allies from the rear or flank.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:58:47 pm by Duuring »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:28 pm »
Of course I don't expect them to poke each other. I guess I'm of the mindset that I'd rather prefer to see no bayonet melees giving faux-blows and hit-taking than port arms screaming matches.

I do like seeing bayonets and sabres clash and that video posted showed some close calls with the man's sabre! He was very good at what he was doing.

Never knew powder was given out. My dad used to tell me about event organizers paying reenactors to come out or supplying them ammunition. Not anymore. It's kind of the other way around, charging up to $50 - $60 for the event fees at times. (rarely!) Just remarking on how things are very much changed from when my father got into the hobby.

Surrendering is quite fun, actually.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:30 pm »
We actually sometimes get paid for participating in events (just a small sum to make it cheaper for us). Cavalrypeople usually get some money to pay for their horses too. From what I understand this is often about 1/3 of what you pay in total, and sometimes even more. Sometimes you get nothing, of course. But yeah, I never heard of an event where you had to pay to get in. And of cours we get powder. U jelly?

I know surrendering is fun, and I tried to do it a few times but people always just ignore or kill you. :/

These men (of the video) portray the Chasseurs-au-cheval de la garde imperiale, and they are one of the best cavarlyregiments in Europa. They and their horses (they always bring their own) are trained to a fantastic level. They even shoot from horseback in full gallop, which is (In NW re-enactment) rather uncommon. My group, for example, doesn't; simply because our rental horses aren't trained to do that, but it is actually not even known if Boreel did or did not have carbines during the Waterloo campaign.

Offline TomaHawkAU

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tomdebomb
  • Side: Union
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 01:13:24 am »
I want to portray (as accurate as possible) a Brandenburg Infanterie Regiment rather like the one in NW. The uniforms don't have to be made in Australia they just have to be abled to be mailed here. Also weapons would be nice.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 07:34:47 am »
Firearms permits are very hard to get for reenacting...ill see what i can find.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 11:26:55 am »
It's just a shame the sword fights look so terrible from up close: It's fighting against a sword, not a person, which is completely understandable, but from up close, it just looks out of place.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 12:39:10 pm »
It's just a shame the sword fights look so terrible from up close: It's fighting against a sword, not a person, which is completely understandable, but from up close, it just looks out of place.

So what do you expect? :p

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 01:52:11 pm »

Blunted swords with a thin protective layer? Slash, but not stab. Easy enough, tright.

#Uselesstry
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 02:00:43 pm »

Blunted swords with a thin protective layer? Slash, but not stab. Easy enough, tright.

#Uselesstry

This only shows you are not a re-enactor.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 02:27:29 pm »

#Uselesstry

This only shows you are not a re-enactor.

Riddlez can see the perspective though: Maintain the equipment like one would do.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 02:33:15 pm »
If we wanted to beat eachtother senseless, we'd do LARP. We don't. We use the same weapons they used.

Offline TomaHawkAU

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 02:54:58 pm »
If we wanted to beat eachtother senseless, we'd do LARP. We don't. We use the same weapons they used.

Without the killing and horrible conditions :D

Back on topic, where can I get an entire uniform private - captain of Brandenburg line infantry?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 03:08:09 pm »
Shouldn't you try to make one yourself? Prussian uniforms relatively isn't that hard. Not that I could do it  :P

Offline TomaHawkAU

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55:19 am »
Shouldn't you try to make one yourself? Prussian uniforms relatively isn't that hard. Not that I could do it  :P

I'd rather have it made realistically in terms of accuracy then me make it.