Author Topic: New Impression Advice  (Read 3970 times)

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
New Impression Advice
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:20:47 am »
I've been considering starting another impression for some time now (I currently do WWII US Infantry) and I've come to the conclusion to do it. What I'm not sure however, is what exactly to portray. There's many eras that interest me, and picking one (and unfortunately, only one for the time being), is a hard choice. Which is why I'd like to ask you guys, fellow reenactors, for your opinions.
I am currently considering the following:
Medieval (Not sure what of)
Napoleonic Wars (French, British, or Prussian infantry/militiaman possibly cavalryman)
American Civil War (North or South infantryman possibly cavalryman)
WWI (French, British, or German infantryman)

So, especially for those of you that portray those time-periods, what do you think? Do you enjoy it? Are events generally any good? Thoughts in general. Ect.

And of course, this thread isn't just for me. Anyone else that's trying to decide on whether to begin a new impression, and/or what to portray, is welcome to ask for opinions as well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:23:56 am by König »
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: New Impression Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:27:59 am »
You should totally do a Dutch WWI impression.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:16:36 am »
^

xD

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:16:26 am »
Civil War!
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:24:30 am »
I enjoy ACW, but line battles are typically monotonous from event to event and that's something I really don't like about it.

I really, really, enjoy WWI up at Newville. Where are you from again? North Carolina?
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:29:01 am »
My Experience as a reenactor of Yankee Soldier during the Civil War is simply fantastic and awesome. I assume you are based out of east coast considering you've said few remarks of being at same events with Landrik. There's load of amazing civil war reenactment/living history out in the east coast.  If you join a progressive mindset unit, your definately going to be attending some awesome events if you appreicate the accuracy and the intensity of the battle. Not that I am encouraging you away from mainstream unit at all. I am in a mainstream unit myself, i still have a bash and raising a ruckus with pard. Sorry if i appear like that.  But i'm pretty  sure you know this, reenacting cost alot of money yo....get ready to spent some hundred on a 4 button plain wool coat. XD   

But anyway, that is my 2 cent.

Now if i was going to reenact something else, I'd chose WW2 or Napoleonic (As British or Prussian)

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:39:23 am »
I enjoy ACW, but line battles are typically monotonous from event to event and that's something I really don't like about it.

I really, really, enjoy WWI up at Newville. Where are you from again? North Carolina?
I'm "from" Virginia, but currently, yes, I'm NC. Though I'm moving soon, so that may change. Newville isn't un-do-able, seeing as how it's only 2 times a year.

And Deo, thanks for your comments. Though, I find it odd that what was originally a cheaply-made garment (the sack coat) is now a very expensive thing to get. :P
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:49:29 am »
i still been trying to contact a few diferant ww2 russain units that let 17 year olds into there ranks and do newville events  but still they seem not to check there emails.

you sure that the youngest age is 18 for your ww1 unit landrick  ;D
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:25:58 am »
i still been trying to contact a few diferant ww2 russain units that let 17 year olds into there ranks and do newville events  but still they seem not to check there emails.

I don't understand why they wouldn't let younger people into their units condidering it'd be more historically accurate. Of course you'd have to prove yourself before joining, but it doesn't make sense that they'd deny you just based on principle like that.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:40:49 am »

I don't understand why they wouldn't let younger people into their units condidering it'd be more historically accurate. Of course you'd have to prove yourself before joining, but it doesn't make sense that they'd deny you just based on principle like that.
  its mostly safety, owning a rifle, not wanting responsabily for you, sort of reasons
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 05:39:23 am »
Hey Munk, the only reason I could see 18 is because of the GWA, Great War Association, and their plethora of safety rules.

Now I THINK 16 is the youngest age to be out on the battlefield, but perhaps you have to have parental approval and/or have your parent with you in the field. Not sure because it's been a few years since I've been a minor. xD

You should email our unit commander and hound him a bit if he doesn't reply in a few days. His name is Doug Kingdom. Bear in mind that WWI is a little more expensive than WWII and there's a dozen of incentives to flesh out your impression when at Newville with PLENTY of living history type moments such as in the trenches, behind the lines, or even being captured by the enemy!

I'll PM you his address.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 05:48:20 am »
Hey Munk, the only reason I could see 18 is because of the GWA, Great War Association, and their plethora of safety rules.

Now I THINK 16 is the youngest age to be out on the battlefield, but perhaps you have to have parental approval and/or have your parent with you in the field. Not sure because it's been a few years since I've been a minor. xD

You should email our unit commander and hound him a bit if he doesn't reply in a few days. His name is Doug Kingdom. Bear in mind that WWI is a little more expensive than WWII and there's a dozen of incentives to flesh out your impression when at Newville with PLENTY of living history type moments such as in the trenches, behind the lines, or even being captured by the enemy!

I'll PM you his address.

thanks all email him toamrow

but here a waution why is it mor expstive i alwasy thought ww2 german one one of the most expensive reenactingperonds ever
Spoiler
[close]

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 06:52:26 am »
we have 13-14 year olds on the battlefield ,,love Australian laws ;)

but ye WW2 is great
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:55:16 am by zac »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 12:46:06 pm »
WWII is pretty damn cheap, I can say. Doing Rev War and Napoleonic will be much more expensive and time consuming.

WWI is just a cut above WWII in terms of things being more expensive, for example I'll probably be spending $20 - $50 more on certain items such as uniform or gear items.

Compare both of these late-war tunics from both eras (From Hessen, these particular ones being good quality).

The M43 Bluse is $105 with $20 for them to include and sew on the insignia (I recommend this because you'll pay nearly the same amount just to buy the insignia separately) which bumps it up to $125.

http://www.hessenantique.com/M43_Tunic_p/2111104.htm

Then there's this M1915 Bluse which is listed at $160, although in the past they typically used to run as the listing price shown of ~$250.

http://www.hessenantique.com/Model_1915_Feldbluse_p/1111103.htm

EDIT:

I can see how German WWII could be a bit pricey since there's a large amount of items you can find yourself picking up to fill out an impression compared to what you'll see carried around at an ACW reenactment. Gas mask can with cape, breadbag, canteen + cup, mess tin... hell they even had issued socks, gloves, and toques. Although a basic impression isn't too hard. Barebones: it's the trousers, tunic, shirt, boots, helmet, belt, pouches, rifle, and good attitude. Damn, you can even go without a belt and pouches if no one can loan you any, but you're way better off with those!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:53:39 pm by Landrik »

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 01:47:21 pm »
alright now i can see why WW! one is costly becasue you are doing a late war era. (i saw a site for early war  i think 1907 pattern and ya it was not cheep but it was affordable) http://www.paddelaters.com/ww1-wwI-german-uniforms.php#

Edit: so I take your unit is late war
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:24:47 pm by munk »
Spoiler
[close]