Author Topic: Gettysburg 150th  (Read 21248 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Gettysburg 150th
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:36 pm »
 Will you be there, what unit will you be with, are you going to GAC or BGA?

Discuss

Personally im going to GAC. From what ive read it seems BGA will be better however im sure both events will be a blast plus im going to be with my unit. My Unit 20th Maine Company G is based in California but some 30 of us will be flying back East for the event. Apperantly we will be the largest fielding maine unit there. I'm definitly fortunate that I will be able to be at gettysburg in my FIRST reenacting season. Do you folk know how many people will be there?
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Gettysburg 150th
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:37 pm »
For those people not going to Gettysburg but still interested in the events (like me):

What are GAC and BGA?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:01:59 pm »
I'm going in with 10th Illinois as part of 1st Illinois Battalion merged with Black Hat Battalion to portray 2nd Wisconsin, Iron Brigade. At GAC of course

Also from GAC's facebook page. last updated March 24. About 8,889 reenactors have registered. 

Also Duuring ,

GAC is Gettysburg Annual Committee, these guys host Gburg every year. (Considered as little bit farby due to their effort to Historical accuracte compared to BGA. But they have low standards than BGA)  and BGA is Blue Grey Alliance, they host various 150th battles across the Mid-west and East. So GAC = Gettysburg Only, and BGA = all Battles. (BGA has high standard expectations but a con, sometime their logistic fails. I've heard some reenactors didnt get water provided included the horses :( .)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:13 pm »
GAC (forget the name) is the event hosted by the city who has been doing it every year. They have been criticized that it cares more about money that reenacting. Large crowds, big stands and a announcer. Like I said I think it will still be a blast especially since ill be with my home unit even thoug were on the other side of the country.

The Blue Gray Alliance is focused more for progressive reenacters. No speaker, different battlefiled (the site where they filmed Gettysburg movie) than the GAC one. They have more strict uniform requirments and camp requirments such as each unit is only allowed 1 A-ten.

I believe both events combined will equel some 60-70 thousand reenacters. They will definitly be the largest events in civil war reenacting (and posibly reenacting in total) in history.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:46 pm »
60-70 thousand reenacters

Jezus Fock.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:23 pm »
So im going to GAC with the 7th maryland  1st FVB so hey might see you all on the field of battle

there webpage says this "By the time you receive this communication we will have surpassed the 9,000 registered Reenactor mark"

;D ;D ;D ;D

the mediallion loooks nice
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:18:51 am by munk »
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 12:27:00 am »
Doing a nw meetup before the battle seems we have a bunch of reenactacters in the community I'm sure we could get some people. If people show interest ill start planning. Karth from the 63e lives close by Gettysburg and I have talked to him about it
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:32:07 am by Millander »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 12:47:00 am »
So im going to GAC with the 7th maryland  1st FVB so hey might see you all on the field of battle

there webpage says this "By the time you receive this communication we will have surpassed the 9,000 registered Reenactor mark"

;D ;D ;D ;D

Spoiler
[close]

you get a Medallion if you register?

Offline OGNValjean

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gordon Goldstein
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 01:00:54 am »
Im going as a Spectator For I have yet to be of age to Drive to these events whilst being in a regiment, nor do I have a job yet(for I cant drive) to pay for all this stuff.

Sooooo Any Rich White Folk lookin to adopt a Red Skin?
I work for free

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:16 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D

Spoiler
[close]

you get a Medallion if you register?

yes, i think so
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 01:18:51 am »
When is the registration cut-off date?
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:18:59 am »
Doing a nw meetup before the battle seems we have a bunch of reenactacters in the community I'm sure we could get some people. If people show interest ill start planning. Karth from the 63e lives close by Gettysburg and I have talked to him about it

that would be geat.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 01:24:40 am »
When is the registration cut-off date?

http://reenactor.gettysburgreenactment.com

its $35 at the moment, dont know if theres a cut off date yet but im looking  for it.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 04:16:30 am »

that would be geat.

Sound like a cool idea.  ;D

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:50 am »
Sigh. I'm jelly.