Author Topic: Questions about Reenacting  (Read 14537 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Questions about Reenacting
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 04:03:54 am »
So, I've been looking around for reenactment groups around the NJ area, and I found these guys... http://www.3nj.org/home.html

They have 80 strong, a civilian contingent, and their Fife and Drum corps performed on Good Morning America. Idk, if you guys have heard of them (Talking to the ACW reenactors), but if you have, and input on them would be nice. They seem to be wearing quite standard uniforms.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:39 am »
They seem like real reenactors, but I'm still unsure about me unit.
Another question, would a flag bearer be an appropriate portrayal for someone my age?

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 04:15:11 am »
Another question, would a flag bearer be an appropriate portrayal for someone my age?

Absolutely not. Color Sergeants were often experienced soldiers who have fought and given their time in the Army. Especially, for Britain. And, to be honest... According to the unit's time portrayal you're looking t, you had to be 17 to join the British Army. Maybe, later on, they got far more lenient... Just look up some Canadian reenactment groups. I remember watching a show on the History channel a while back about the American War of Independence, and they referenced to a reenactment battle in Canada with literally thousands of people.

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 04:21:06 am »
So, I've been looking around for reenactment groups around the NJ area, and I found these guys... http://www.3nj.org/home.html

They have 80 strong, a civilian contingent, and their Fife and Drum corps performed on Good Morning America. Idk, if you guys have heard of them (Talking to the ACW reenactors), but if you have, and input on them would be nice. They seem to be wearing quite standard uniforms.

They seem like a decent unit. I can't really tell that much from their pictures. The pictures are all from ~5 years ago. Are they still around?

This picture makes me think they may be closer to a mainstream unit. While there's nothing wrong  with mainstreamers, I personally prefer the progressive/hardcore approach to reenacting.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:28:40 am by Dordak_the_Lost »

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 04:24:47 am »
Yes, they're actually attending the Gettysburg event this year for 150 year anniversary. I just eMailed their recruiter.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 04:28:50 am »

Absolutely not. Color Sergeants were often experienced soldiers who have fought and given their time in the Army. Especially, for Britain. And, to be honest... According to the unit's time portrayal you're looking t, you had to be 17 to join the British Army. Maybe, later on, they got far more lenient... Just look up some Canadian reenactment groups. I remember watching a show on the History channel a while back about the American War of Independence, and they referenced to a reenactment battle in Canada with literally thousands of people.
Problem is... I can't play any instruments, nor do I have anyone to teach me ( I'm absolutely awful at self-teaching, and all the real reenactments are a 2 days drive away.  :-\

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 04:44:27 am »
Wow, that sucks. Maybe, Reenacting isn't going to be good for you. Sometimes, things just won't, or can't, work out.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 06:58:12 am »
That's everything I'll need to basically start off? I'd probably get a Hardee or Forage cap, I like how they look more.

So, the federal and the "leather" is what I'll need to start? Guns, I'll worry about later.
Thats all you'll pretty much need. Get a forage for a majority of federal units used them.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 10:29:40 am »
More often than not the "popular" or "elite" units will attract farbs. Naturally, there are exceptions.

I'm not proud of my ACW or WWI uniform. They're both farby, but I very much plan on fixing my impression over time. I'd say WWII is where I'm closest to being "kitted out" and getting out of the loaner pit.

That's typically the Catch 22 of reenacting, is the young, fit guys have shite impressions while the old, fat guys have everything they need and more. I've been doing everything I can to help people get into the hobby as accurately and cost-effective as they can. All it takes is one farb to ruin the immersion and enjoyment of an event.

Also, if you're going to spend hundreds and thousands on your impression, you'd think people would have appropriate haircuts and grooming.

Really, you're not out there to look good for yourself, but everyone else. 1st Manassass you damn well know I was wearing my shell jacket on Saturday. xD Better than being in the "Shirt Brigade".

Whew. Good to get that off of my chest.

--

As far as reenacting Rev War up in Canada, you may as well if there's a unit nearby. ACW well... I wasn't able to do any reenacting when I lived out in Reno, Nevada because the closest stuff was a very long drive deep into California or Utah or Arizona.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:31:53 am by Landrik »
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 11:09:36 am »

This is a common misconception. Ensigns carried the flags.
Ensigns were teenagers, and the rules concerning their minimum age weren't made till the napoleonics. In fact, I've read about twelve years old holding a commision. 13 might be a tat young, but fiveteen is accurate enough, really.

Colour sergeants didn't carry the flags, they protected them. If the unit was in real danger (for example, a surprise cavarly charge, the ensigns were supposed to give the flags to the sergeants.  Not that they always did. The rank of colour sergeant, by the way, was made later in the napoleonic era.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:31:47 am by Duuring »

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 05:04:24 pm »

This is a common misconception. Ensigns carried the flags.
Ensigns were teenagers, and the rules concerning their minimum age weren't made till the napoleonics. In fact, I've read about twelve years old holding a commision. 13 might be a tat young, but fiveteen is accurate enough, really.

Colour sergeants didn't carry the flags, they protected them. If the unit was in real danger (for example, a surprise cavarly charge, the ensigns were supposed to give the flags to the sergeants.  Not that they always did. The rank of colour sergeant, by the way, was made later in the napoleonic era.
That's what I though, if I could portray a nobleman's son, it wouldn't be that innacurate, besides, by reenacting season I'd be 14.