Poll

When would you prefer a cavalry gf tournament to happen?

Every two weeks
5 (11.9%)
Every month
11 (26.2%)
Every two months
15 (35.7%)
Every three months+
7 (16.7%)
Don't care so long as I can play
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: The Fighting Pit - 5v5 Tournament  (Read 21282 times)

Offline Dokletian

• Brigadier General
  • unironisch
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Dokletian
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Fighting Pit - 5v5 Tournament
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2020, 09:37:44 pm »
the revolution is here and time will prove me right
Can I just say that I’m really impressed with the cav community, 10x more mature than the inf community and a lot less tolerant of the cancerous players

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2020, 09:43:37 pm »
I am not gonna repeat things I just said in the post above, I'm happy enough you got the chance to formulate a proper response (which if anything, shows how much your English has been improving in so little time) but I will leave it personally at that. No point explaining I disagree with some of your points just for the sake it as it won't bring anything valuable to the discussion.

Just for the record, however, when I was talking about a heavy competition, I was more thinking about a one-night tournament with teams (just like this one) rather than something last over weeks/months with regiments, for the exact reasons you mentioned. I remember that when we played to train vs you & the CI during the CL, we had internal battles in the 4e where half of us would go as heavies. On the heavy side these fights proved enjoyable/amusing for the little time we did them and that's why I assume some hussars wouldn't mind making for a change and play competition as heavies versus other heavies from time to time. I at least know I would.

Why does it have to be all on one evening? And how long is it expected to last (how many hours)?

Because groupfighting tournaments have traditionally always been on one evening (thinking about PrideofNi's tournaments for instance). The 5v5 hosted by the 2Lr was an exception in that regards (as far as I know at least) and although perfectly run, it asked a lot more commitment from teams & admins. This is just to give Skittles another way (outside of regimental competitions) to properly seed his Fantasy League and at the same time, have some different fun from what we experienced the last couple of months (CL, SNC).

I will probably try to aim at finishing the tournament before midnight. If we run past that point it was planned to make an agreement with captains beforehand to know if they prefer continuing playing to finish the last matches, or postpone them to Saturday and/or Sunday. But I won't let it slide further than the weekend, as there are other competitions planned the week after and from experience, if you let people responsible of scheduling these matches, they never make it happen.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 09:46:44 pm by Tardet »
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline DragonKing

• Major
  • God save the DCL
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [DCL]Cpt_DragonKing
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2020, 09:56:41 pm »
I am not gonna repeat things I just said in the post above, I'm happy enough you got the chance to formulate a proper response (which if anything, shows how much your English has been improving in so little time) but I will leave it personally at that. No point explaining I disagree with some of your points just for the sake it as it won't bring anything valuable to the discussion.

Just for the record, however, when I was talking about a heavy competition, I was more thinking about a one-night tournament with teams (just like this one) rather than something last over weeks/months with regiments, for the exact reasons you mentioned. I remember that when we played to train vs you & the CI during the CL, we had internal battles in the 4e where half of us would go as heavies. On the heavy side these fights proved enjoyable/amusing for the little time we did them and that's why I assume some hussars wouldn't mind making for a change and play competition as heavies versus other heavies from time to time. I at least know I would.

Thank you especially for letting me express myself. It's a pity that we don't have the opportunity to continue our exchanges and that you prefer to point the finger at my English. I could give you the name of my teacher but that is not the point because you already have a good command of the language. Again, it is very sad that you cannot understand a part of the cavalry community. Well, especially for me because I won't be able to take part in this competition. In any case, I only have to wait for the edition of cuirassiers and if you need help creating it, call me. Finally, there must still be active cuirassiers until then because, as I said before, the last cuirassiers will not stay if nothing is offered to them

Because groupfighting tournaments have traditionally always been on one evening (thinking about PrideofNi's tournaments for instance). The 5v5 hosted by the 2Lr was an exception in that regards (as far as I know at least) and although perfectly run, it asked a lot more commitment from teams & admins.

Edit: not really in the cav comunity, 5vs5 tournaments have traditionally lasted for several weeks. you have this one, but also the 5vs5 league of the Nr4&2lr. in fact, over 3 years, the 5vs5 always lasted several weeks. It changed with the 3v3 format, duel format and your tournament aswell
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:10:55 pm by DragonKing »
Nearer, My God, to Thee

Offline Octanidas

• First Lieutenant
  • new and interesting ways to play
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 8th_Huss_HGrd /// Nr4_OLt
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 10:14:48 pm »
I can only remember the 5vs5 Tournament of DragonKing early this year which was played weekly and in my opinion a lot of fun. I only played one Tournament which was played on one evening and it felt exhausting. The funny thing is that the most interesting Matches had the weakest effort because of the time. I understand that it is usual in this Community to host such Events but i still don't understand why.

So again the question, how many hours is it supposed to last? I personally have neither the time nor the motivation to play three, four or even more hours at once.

Offline stevve

• Captain
  • yeeeeeet
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2020, 10:29:30 pm »
So again the question, how many hours is it supposed to last? I personally have neither the time nor the motivation to play three, four or even more hours at once.
How is he supposed to know how long it will take? That depends on how long the respective rounds last. Since the first matches are only Ft3, you can assume that they will not last longer than 10-15 minutes.

Offline Dokletian

• Brigadier General
  • unironisch
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Dokletian
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2020, 10:38:07 pm »
Only thing I can say to this is that when I hosted my Duel Tournament last year, everyone was trying to explain how the whole thing couldn't be done on one evening - turned out that it worked perfectly fine.

Tournaments that last several weeks get boring really fast and in the end nobody really cares about them anymore.
Can I just say that I’m really impressed with the cav community, 10x more mature than the inf community and a lot less tolerant of the cancerous players

Offline ~Felix~

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr4_Major_Felix
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2020, 10:43:55 pm »
Huehue Thyrell and myself created that idea in the last Fantasy League which said that 5 hussars and 1 cuirassier are needed on your roster and ingame
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:47:22 pm by ~Felix~ »

Offline QuinnML

• Major
  • NEC TIMEAS SIS JUSTUS
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Quinn
  • Side: Union
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2020, 10:44:05 pm »
Hussars: Try to play a fun, friendly, fast paced tournament

Cuirassiers:

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Octanidas

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2020, 10:44:30 pm »
It should be possible to estimate the rough duration. I guess Tardet has a clear vision of how all of this is supposed to happen. You talk like it would be totally random wether the tournament lasts three or eleven hours or just 30 minutes xD

Or at least it should be clear if there is a Deadline like "if the Event still isn't finished after x hours we have to continue another day" or not.

Edit: This Post was @stevve. Didn't expect three other guys to join the party that quickly.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:46:03 pm by Octanidas »

Offline DragonKing

• Major
  • God save the DCL
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2020, 10:50:07 pm »
I can only remember the 5vs5 Tournament of DragonKing early this year which was played weekly and in my opinion a lot of fun. I only played one Tournament which was played on one evening and it felt exhausting. The funny thing is that the most interesting Matches had the weakest effort because of the time. I understand that it is usual in this Community to host such Events but i still don't understand why.

I greatly appreciated to organized the tournament but also the matches. Especially this glorious and epic final. Glad you liked it too :)

Huehue Thyrell and myself created that idea in the last Fantasy League which said that 5 hussars and 1 cuirassier is needed on your roster and ingame

It was a very good idea and a tournament that I really enjoyed

Hussars: Try to play a fun, friendly, fast paced tournament

Cuirassiers:

Spoiler
[close]

well yeah, I also want to kill people on a video game and try to win one more medal
Nearer, My God, to Thee

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2020, 10:50:11 pm »
Edit: not really in the cav comunity, 5vs5 tournaments have traditionally lasted for several weeks. you have this one, but also the 5vs5 league of the Nr4&2lr. in fact, over 3 years, the 5vs5 always lasted several weeks. It changed with the 3v3 format, duel format and your tournament aswell

I am playing since 2012 so when I say traditionally it means 'since cavalry tournament existed'. Here are examples of tournaments that happened from 2013 to 2014, that were 5v5s and lasted over one night:

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=2494.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=6132.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=8185.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=9692.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=11247.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=12158.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=23528.0

I have looked over a bit and it does appear indeed that 5v5 has become the trend in the late years of NW (with very of them hosted from 2015 to 2017) so it wasn't only the 2Lr/Nr4's one as I thought but traditionally speaking, they have been on one night.

Weekly events are fun, nobody is denying that and DK / 2Lr&Nr4 editions are living proof of it. But as I already mentioned it several times on this thread, this tournament serves a bigger purpose which is the Fantasy League. The Fantasy League WILL be a weekly competition and that's what you should be looking forward to if you prefer these sort of formats. No point planning a weekly 5v5 cup when you know there is one coming just around the corner, don't you think?

This will be the first cav gf tournament I host so I don't have references to go off from but from memory, as I expect we won't get more than 12 teams, this should be finished in less than 3 hours for 99% of the teams. Depending on if you plan on making it far, you can count on a good 2h or 2,30h, but hardly more. And just like I mentioned, if we happen to be late, there is always the possibility of calling it off for the night and resume the following day or the day after for the teams still in the tournament (that's why we planned it on a Friday, to have more flexibility if such an issue arise). That's something we'll be discussing with captains once we have them all signed-up with proper rosters, but we understand the concern and will try to be prepared for any eventualities.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:56:51 pm by Tardet »
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Octanidas

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2020, 10:51:07 pm »
Only thing I can say to this is that when I hosted my Duel Tournament last year, everyone was trying to explain how the whole thing couldn't be done on one evening - turned out that it worked perfectly fine.

"One evening" does not mean the same for everyone.

Quote from: Dokletian
link=topic=45323.msg2006184#msg2006184 date=1609191487
Tournaments that last several weeks get boring really fast and in the end nobody really cares about them anymore.

That is just an opinion. And i don't think you were not caring about the DCL vs Gimps Final in the 5vs5 Tournament this year. But if so, at least i was looking forward to it.

Edit: failed the quoting  :(
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:53:03 pm by Octanidas »

Offline DragonKing

• Major
  • God save the DCL
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2020, 10:56:50 pm »

I am playing since 2012 so when I say traditionally it means 'since cavalry tournament existed'. Here are examples of tournaments that happened from 2013 to 2014, that were 5v5s and lasted over one night:

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=2494.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=6132.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=8185.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=9692.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=11247.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=12158.0
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=23528.0

I have looked over a bit and it does appear indeed that 5v5 has become the trend in the late years of NW (with very of them hosted from 2015 to 2017) so it wasn't only the 2Lr/Nr4's one but traditionally speaking, they have been on one night.

I do not question this fact. Nevertheless, if in 2017 the format has changed, it is for a good reason. It lasted more than 3 years because indeed the rider matches are longer. So you are wrong when you say that it is a tradition but changing traditions can also be a good thing. Afterwards, as Dokletian says, it can also work very well with duels and 3v3 format. You just have to see how it goes. It all depends on the time of the matches and the organization

Personally, I agree with Dokletian on this point, a quick tournament is better than one that lasts a whole month because the hype disappears expect for the favorits team. Still, the tournament should not last too long on one day to keep the spirit and concentration fresh. Besides, if everyone could participate with their own weapon, it would be even better

it is also true, and octanidas does well to point it out, that many players will not be able to stay a whole night especially if they work the next day
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:59:06 pm by DragonKing »
Nearer, My God, to Thee

Offline Octanidas

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2020, 10:57:22 pm »
This should be finished in less than 3 hours for 99% of the teams. Depending on if you plan on making it far, you can count on a good 2h or 2,30h, but hardly more. And just like I mentioned, if we happen to be late, there is always the possibility of calling it off for the night and resume the following day or the day after for the teams still in the tournament (that's why we planned it on a Friday, to have more flexibility if such an issue arise).

Thank you, now that is something to work with  :D ;)

Offline DE14HANNES

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Cvl_DE14HANNES
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2020, 11:04:18 pm »
The rule is god like. Im rly happy like many other players, now its just about skill and not the class or the tiny map. DK you dont have to talk about LOL on this thread, this is completly different. There is no other way to make this 100% fair to all players. I mean i dont play against heavy teams. If this rule werent there, i would simply not come to these matches.