Author Topic: Game of Thrones thread (USE SPOILERS)  (Read 282101 times)

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Game of Thrones thread (Spoilers)
« Reply #480 on: June 03, 2014, 03:35:01 pm »
Er, it may have been on purpose, but more in a blind rage sort of way. From what I remember they were in a very small area with a tightly packed and unruly audience standing very close to the fight. The two of them wheeled very close to the onlookers, and then someone got in the way of the Mountain, which I think prevented him from delivering a potentially critical blow to the viper. The mountain became enraged and pushed the person out of the way, but then other person got in the way right as the viper dodged another one of the mountain's blows, and it sliced right throw the onlooker.

That was the semi-accurate version. I'm sure I missed some detail, but even so, it would have been cool if they included it, because there were a few orderlies and squires in the area who it could have happened to. For instance when the viper's squire was handing him his second spear, he could have swung at him and accidentally struck the squire instead.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:36:50 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
  • PM me for pics, cutest Grimbarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 03, 2014, 03:42:00 pm »
Fair play. RIP, poor squire.
Current:
Past: 63e CdB, 43rd Ens, 28th Lt, 1stElbe Lt

Offline Mack

• Donator
  • " Hear me roar "
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lannes Mack
  • Side: Union
« Reply #482 on: June 03, 2014, 03:58:01 pm »
I read alot of things like: Oberyn died on purpose. What do you guys think?

>> Keep in mind that the mountain didn't confess untill the very last moment ( just before he squeezed Oberyns head ). Besides that, Oberyn died a horrible death.
Lannes Mack

Proudly commanded the 4e Grenadiers for two and a halve years

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 03, 2014, 04:07:26 pm »
How do you mean, on purpose?

Offline Price

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 03, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »

>> Keep in mind that the mountain didn't confess untill the very last moment ( just before he squeezed Oberyns head ). Besides that, Oberyn died a horrible death.

I think that Oberyn had one purpose for his visit to Kings Landing. He succeeded in making Gregor confess but paid the ultimate price. He had confidence that he could beat Gregor by using the 'spear dancing' technique that most Dornish warriors use. So, no I don't think that he died on purpose.

Also it will be interesting to see how Dorne reacts as Oberyn was loved there.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 03, 2014, 04:08:44 pm »
I don't think Oberyn managed to hear the confession over his screaming and panicking.

Offline Price

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 03, 2014, 04:10:25 pm »
I don't think Oberyn managed to hear the confession over his screaming and panicking.

But he knows that his spear was poisoned. 

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 03, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »
So the whole poisoning thing hasn't been revealed yet, and you guys are just happily throwing around a book spoiler?
Current:

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #488 on: June 03, 2014, 04:41:34 pm »
Er, it may have been on purpose, but more in a blind rage sort of way. From what I remember they were in a very small area with a tightly packed and unruly audience standing very close to the fight. The two of them wheeled very close to the onlookers, and then someone got in the way of the Mountain, which I think prevented him from delivering a potentially critical blow to the viper. The mountain became enraged and pushed the person out of the way, but then other person got in the way right as the viper dodged another one of the mountain's blows, and it sliced right throw the onlooker.

That was the semi-accurate version. I'm sure I missed some detail, but even so, it would have been cool if they included it, because there were a few orderlies and squires in the area who it could have happened to. For instance when the viper's squire was handing him his second spear, he could have swung at him and accidentally struck the squire instead.
From what I remember it was a stable boy and he struck him twice the first was most likely accidental but he hit him again in anger.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 03, 2014, 04:50:42 pm »
There's a really disturbing scene in the book (didn't make it to the tv series so no spoiler) where Arya Stark overhears one of Gregor's men recount ho Gregor raped a teenage girl and then gave her to his men while her father was watching (all because her father the tavern keeper asked him to keep his men from touching his daughter). He then pays the tavern keeper a coin and demands change because she wasn't that good.

It was disturbing as hell to read that. Anyway Arya gets that Bravosi assassin to kill the guy recounting the story. Seriously am waiting for the next book. To many cliff hangers. Have read them all so far.

Spoiler

[close]

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 03, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »
So the whole poisoning thing hasn't been revealed yet, and you guys are just happily throwing around a book spoiler?

Yeah, I don't know why Price said that.

Offline Crunk

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The tactical turtleneck, the tactilneck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 03, 2014, 05:02:19 pm »

But he knows that his spear was poisoned.

Use. Spoilers.
My plan is to crowdsource a plan.

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 03, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »
Not only use spoilers, but entitle the spoiler "BOOK SPOILER"
Current:

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 03, 2014, 05:08:13 pm »
And besides, that wasn't even revealed in the books until after the fight. The book readers were in the exact same boat until they found out the truth several chapters later, and so it's unfair to spoil it as if we knew it all along. It's like a former beggar winning the lottery and then going back to scorn all his old beggar friends, as if he was always superior to them.

That may have been a harsh interpretation though; I trust that it was an accident. Even so, watch what you say.

Offline Coconut

• Colonel
  • "Just do a headbob" - DarthJezus 2012
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Coconut
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #494 on: June 03, 2014, 06:00:08 pm »

I think that Oberyn had one purpose for his visit to Kings Landing. He succeeded in making Gregor confess but paid the ultimate price. He had confidence that he could beat Gregor by using the 'spear dancing' technique that most Dornish warriors use. So, no I don't think that he died on purpose.

Also it will be interesting to see how Dorne reacts as Oberyn was loved there.
What if his daughters want revenge?