Poll

Traditionalism or Modernism

Traditionalism
Modernism

Author Topic: Traditionalism or Modernism?  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
Re: Traditionalism or Modernism?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2014, 12:56:43 pm »
Shit. I forgot.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2014, 10:33:51 pm »
I didn't realize you were an expert on Dutch education? What you call 'job-centric' education is what we call MBO or HBO, Middle or Higher Profession Education. And yes, the studies there tend to be more centered around jobs, but not exclusively. More importantly, it's a system that works; People are educated into doing a job that lays in their field of interest.

However, university is scientific education. It's not at all job-centered - I study Political Science at a university. Does that mean I will and can only get a job correlating with that? No. Absolutely not.
I never denied that it works; personally I think it's a very good system, having heard about it from friends going through various paths. All I'm saying is that, while a lot of people go to study economics, engineering, medicine etc to get into those jobs specifically (and I wasn't just talking about the Netherlands, just to clarify) there are also plenty of people who study philosophy, political sciences, international relations and so forth because they're interested in it, even if they don't actually want to be a hermit, politician or diplomat.
I was just pointing out that just because he studied one of the arts at university doesn't guarantee that he'll have anything to do with the arts other than admiring them in the future. He may very well become the next van Gogh, or he could just as well be the next Bill Gates. Degree at university often doesn't relate to jobs. (Drama -> Banking, International relations -> Recruiting, Astrophysics -> IT aspects of machine manufacturing are just a couple examples from friends and family).

I don't know why you other users tried to make my post out as more than it was - oh wait, you're all drama queens, I almost forgot.
Grow up. Having a different opinion to someone else isn't a guaranteed rage-fest.

It's an interesting idea Olafson, but I think I'd probably prefer to have a building's interior and exterior match (or do they?). If it was externally classical and internally modern I feel like that wouldn't feel right. If it still looked old but was newly build on the inside that could work quite well. I still think I'd prefer a modern house though to be honest. No idea why, just personal preference I think.

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 02:45:41 am »
I don't know why you other users tried to make my post out as more than it was - oh wait, you're all drama queens, I almost forgot.
Grow up. Having a different opinion to someone else isn't a guaranteed rage-fest.

Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.