The Lounge > Off Topic

The 2018 Federal Wide Legalization for the Recreational Use of Cannabis - Canada

(1/39) > >>

George385:
So the Government of Canada is set to legalize cannabis by July 1st next year. The legalization is meant to eliminate the black market, create 15 000 new jobs, boost the economy, decrease crime and allow for the production of hemp as an alternative to cotton, paper and so on.

The Task Force comprised of lawyers, police officers, politicians, leading  doctors and scientists decided unanimously that the legalization of cannabis would be a good thing, the major concerns being for the youth in the development of the brain.

What is your opinion on the push by Trudeau's party that has overwhelming support?

Toffee:
I heard it has implications to undeveloped brains i.e kids? Is that true? If so I would support it as long as it comes with an age restriction like alcohol and smoking.

StevenChilton:
At a time when the evidence is pilling up regarding the link between cannabis use and mental illness, this is an insane policy. I don't know how any doctor could say this was a good idea. Also it clearly won't eliminate the black market-I'm assuming the Canadian government is going to tax it, limit THC content, and a variety of other restrictions. If there's a black market for tobacco and alcohol there will be for cannabis too.

Also I have so many issues with this BS: https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/marijuana/
-There is no prohibition against cannabis in Canada, it's essentially decriminalised. If there was Prohibition then this would never have happened: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/pro-marijuana-protesters-hit-parliament-hill-1.2616223
You also need to explain why in large parts of the country the police rarely prosecute for it: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadas-patchwork-pot-policy-how-possession-charges-vary-from-city-to-city/article16377021/

-Also if you make cannabis legal more kids will smoke it. Duh.

I've seen arguments in favour of cannabis legalisation and they're usually a lot better than that.

Vincenzo:
When the Netherlands legalised canabis, hasj, and magic mushrooms the criminality rates went down by 50%, that includes especially murders, there has not been a raise in mental illnesses and the average use per person of soft drugs compared to the countries around the Netherlands like Germany is at 25%.

Please tell me again how legalising it increases it's usage?

Most people here just give a shit, its legal, it's not special, nobody cares about it. only losers smoke it regulary, or people that need some fun can do it maybe in the weekend. Nobody is hurt from it, quality is much better than illegal shit.
/argument

Riddlez:
Was about to say the same thing.

Alcohol consumption causes much more harm than cannabis consumption.

Generally abuse and criminality in the U.S. coul do down more significantly if they'd consider a judicial reform and lowering sentences and focus more in re-integration than on punishment. But that is a philosophical discussion to which a large part of the U.S. becomes more even more disproportionately emotional than with background checks for firearms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version