Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars: Mapping Support  (Read 208868 times)

Offline Rival

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Napoleonic Wars: Mapping Support
« Reply #165 on: June 29, 2014, 12:16:40 pm »
Leave it to Grozni for mapping help :3
Working on headers in NW is like working on formula 1 2016 engines for 2017.

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: RRA_10thRH_SoH_Grozni
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2014, 12:49:31 pm »
I have a question about the landscape outside the map edges. Lets say I want a very flat map and when I look out to the horizon all I would see is this flat landscape outside the map borders.

Is it possible to modify the landscape outside the map edges and if so how?

Take a look at scenes.txt file. Outside landscape is set at bottom line of each map's entry, they look something like this  " outer_terrain_plain"
You can try some stuff until you find one flat enough for you.
 outer_terrain_steppe
 outer_terrain_desert
 outer_terrain_beach
etc...

Offline Wüstenfuchs

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr12_Lt_Clemens_Friebe
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2014, 11:39:59 pm »
Hello,
ive got the problem that i uploaded a map which i customised on my m&b server and now the objects i placed are out of the map or random placed and the map is full of hills which i didnt placed. Do anyone know the problem or how to fix it?

Greetings
Wüstenfuchs

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2014, 12:23:54 am »
You probably did not also replace the current scenes.txt with the new one. The scenes.txt contains the terrain code and if there is hills were you did not place them this is why. Either copy your whole scenes.txt or find the terrain code for your edited map.

Offline PolarBeats

• Sergeant Major
  • To tyrants never yield.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Emperor PolarBeats II of the 1stGBE
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2014, 03:03:40 am »
Not sure if this has been asked or answered but I will give it a crack.

I am good at doing battle maps and etc., but I have recently tried to make a siege map and its coming along very well. I have one problem:

I deleted the map of its contents made it flat blah blah blah, built the fort and its surroundings and all I have left was the old map's capture flag. I first tried moving it where I built the fort and saved it. I restarted the map to continue work and it was back where it was. I tried this method a few more times and all the same. I tried to delete it and place my own and when I saved and came back the flag was still there but it had moved tried it again and the same result. The props are called spr_headquarters_pole_code_only and spr_headquarters_flag_swadian. I need help on either replacing this issue or at least fixing where I can get it to stay in one position after a save.

Thanks, Polar.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2014, 03:08:00 am »
Not sure if this has been asked or answered but I will give it a crack.

I am good at doing battle maps and etc., but I have recently tried to make a siege map and its coming along very well. I have one problem:

I deleted the map of its contents made it flat blah blah blah, built the fort and its surroundings and all I have left was the old map's capture flag. I first tried moving it where I built the fort and saved it. I restarted the map to continue work and it was back where it was. I tried this method a few more times and all the same. I tried to delete it and place my own and when I saved and came back the flag was still there but it had moved tried it again and the same result. The props are called spr_headquarters_pole_code_only and spr_headquarters_flag_swadian. I need help on either replacing this issue or at least fixing where I can get it to stay in one position after a save.

Thanks, Polar.
Place an entry point and in its variable slot put 66, if not rename the entry point to 66, this will spawn your flag.

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2014, 11:16:10 am »
When you want to make a map, there is 2 possible edition mods: the "edit mode" and what I would call the "usable" mode. When you start your map, you will have to choose between all the classic mods (capture the flag, siege, commander battle...), that's what I call the "usable" mode. You will use this mode to test your map. But there is also a last option called "edit mode", made specifically for editing your map.

The "edit mode" is made for editing, while the "usable" is made for testing. Why? Because all interactive props that you see in "usable" mode are NOT those that you set in edition mode. Basically, if you set a cannon in edit mode, when you go in usable mode you will see that your actual cannon (a bit bigger) is placed at -30000 under the ground, and was replaced by a usable cannon with different parts. That's the same for the flag. The entry point 66 is replaced by a banner pole (spr_headquarters_pole_code_only) and a flag (spr_headquarters_flag_swadian). Moving those objects is pretty pointless as they are not integrated in your map but generated at game start.

So your problem there is that, instead of using the "edit mode" you used the "usable mode". Now just go in "edit mode", find entry point 66 or create one (it corresponds to your flag) as Conway said.

By the way, for a siege map, don't forget that at the beginning of the round, all players will spawn at entry point 0 (defender) or entry point 32 (attacker). Therefore place those entry points in an open space with enough room for everyone.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:35:12 pm by MaxLam »

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:45 am »
When you want to make a map, there is 2 possible edition mods: the "edit mod" and what I would call the "usable" mod. When you start your map, you will have to choose between all the classic mods (capture the flag, siege, commander battle...), that's what I call the "usable" mod. You will use this mod to test your map. But there is also a last option called "edit mode", made specifically for editing your map.

The "edit mode" is made for editing, while the "usable" is made for testing. Why? Because all interactive props that you see in "usable" mod are NOT those that you set in edition mode. Basically, if you set a cannon in edit mode, when you go in usable mode you will see that your actual cannon (a bit bigger) is placed at -30000 under the ground, and was replaced by a usable cannon with different parts. That's the same for the flag. The entry point 66 is replaced by a banner pole (spr_headquarters_pole_code_only) and a flag (spr_headquarters_flag_swadian). Moving those objects is pretty pointless as they are not integrated in your map but generated at game start.

So your problem there is that, instead of using the "edit mode" you used the "usable mode". Now just go in "edit mode", find entry point 66 or create one (it corresponds to your flag) as Conway said.

By the way, for a siege map, don't forget that at the beginning of the round, all players will spawn at entry point 0 (defender) or entry point 32 (attacker). Therefore place those entry points in an open space with enough room for everyone.
Bravo, all the confusion explained right here. If you're editing any sort of map, always use the edit mode. :P

Offline PolarBeats

• Sergeant Major
  • To tyrants never yield.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Emperor PolarBeats II of the 1stGBE
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2014, 04:27:24 am »
Thanks helped a bit, I knew some of what MaxLam said. I didn't however know that the flag had its own entry point like Conner said, and do believe that is my problem.

Again thanks guys

Offline Incognitoandahalf

• First Sergeant
  • DA Cavalry Corp Fuehrer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Incognitoandahalf
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2014, 10:36:51 pm »
Been trying to make a spooky/scary map for a Halloween battle and need some help here. So far I can get the weather to be really dark but I cant add fog as well to the equation. Could someone help me out with the fog?

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2014, 10:39:15 pm »
Been trying to make a spooky/scary map for a Halloween battle and need some help here. So far I can get the weather to be really dark but I cant add fog as well to the equation. Could someone help me out with the fog?
Place down the mm_weather_fog prop and then edit the variable 1. It goes from 1-100, 1 where its almost impossible to see and 100 with no fog at all!

Offline Zebaad

• First Lieutenant
  • alea iacta est
    • View Profile
    • Bastion Maps
  • Nick: 47th_Cpt_Zebaad_Peritz
  • Side: Union
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:53 am »
ok Question about lighting how on earth do they work :/ basically i've spent hours talking to many mappers and devs yet I have found no true solution.
What i did (every time i restarted my game)
Spoiler
using a torch_night and light_night

[close]
Spoiler
using a normal torch and light_night

[close]
Spoiler
using a normal torch and light_sun

[close]
Spoiler
using a normal torch and light

[close]
Graphics are turned up to full including particle systems and less than 10 light props at any one time

Offline Zebaad

• First Lieutenant
  • alea iacta est
    • View Profile
    • Bastion Maps
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »
Ok I tried it in native just to test it and it works fine and simply transferring the map across doesn't work, so I made the map work fine in native but as soon as i have to transfer it to nw the lights halt working :/

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »
Ok I tried it in native just to test it and it works fine and simply transferring the map across doesn't work, so I made the map work fine in native but as soon as i have to transfer it to nw the lights halt working :/

Think I read a statement once by someone from FSE which says they gave up on dynamic lighting for NW as it's not implemented well in M&B.

Offline Zebaad

• First Lieutenant
  • alea iacta est
    • View Profile
    • Bastion Maps
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2014, 04:42:02 pm »

Think I read a statement once by someone from FSE which says they gave up on dynamic lighting for NW as it's not implemented well in M&B.
Yeah i realized this :p I used glow_a and glow_b instead thanks though :D