Poll

If linebattles were decided almost exclusively by shooting (for whatever reason eg. more accurate firearms), how do you feel your overall experience/enjoyment of these events would change:

I would enjoy linebattles a lot more
5 (5.2%)
I would enjoy linebattles even more
13 (13.4%)
I would enjoy linebattles just the same
14 (14.4%)
I would not enjoy linebattles as much
18 (18.6%)
I would not enjoy linebattles nearly as much
47 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: September 14, 2014, 05:46:52 am

Author Topic: If melee was merely an "afterthought" in NW LB's  (Read 4190 times)

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
If melee was merely an "afterthought" in NW LB's
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:46:52 am »
It's been a contentious topic recently on discussions about BCOF recently as to how important/enjoyable people find melee in NW (with certain individuals claiming that a lot of the community do not see melee as a "defining factor" of what makes NW so great) so I thought I'd attempt to gauge a little bit how the community feels about melee in NW (specifically in linebattles; multi-reg events, 1v1's, or otherwise) with a little poll.

Basically, how would you feel if melee in LB's was a rare occurrence; an "afterthought" to shooting which would decide most linebattles almost exclusively.

Gave it a few varying options so its not too black or white.

This should be interesting  :P
Why am I still here

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
Re: If melee was merely an "afterthought" in NW LB's
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:57:34 am »
For me, it depends on your officer and the skill of the linesmen. If you have a good officer leading you and everyone knows where they are supposed to go and what they need to do, volleying and doing formations quickly while dodging bullets is tense, gratifying, and a hell of a lot of fun. On the other hand, if you have a leader that is unsure or incompetent, or you're in a line full of recruits, you'll just be bumbling around in a blob as you get riddled with bullets. Melee is always fun, even if it's you and some people that only discovered what a computer is against the best of the 12th, it's still fun.

Every once in a while, you get one of those perfect, deeply satisfying rounds of volleying or a well executed formation, but unless it's extraordinary, non melee action can get dull, fast. So on average, I'd say that melee is by far the most fun part of a linebattle, and I'm glad it had such a focus.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:40:27 pm »
Every once in a while, you get one of those perfect, deeply satisfying rounds of volleying or a well executed formation, but unless it's extraordinary, non melee action can get dull, fast. So on average, I'd say that melee is by far the most fun part of a linebattle, and I'm glad it had such a focus.

Mhm. Even though the LBs hosted by the 15th lag so much that it's impossible to do either.
<3

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
  • PM me for pics, cutest Grimbarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:12:32 pm »
With these more accurate firearms, officers wouldn't go 5 minutes before getting shot 6 times. :'(

Current:
Past: 63e CdB, 43rd Ens, 28th Lt, 1stElbe Lt

Offline Coconut

• Colonel
  • "Just do a headbob" - DarthJezus 2012
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Coconut
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:43:51 pm »
If there wasn't melee i would not go to lbs unless I was an officer. Also the rounds would literally take like 30 mins each and would be a snore-fest.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 02:51:08 pm »
If there wasn't melee i would not go to lbs unless I was an officer. Also the rounds would literally take like 30 mins each and would be a snore-fest.
+!
<3

Offline AlekoTheGreek

• Donator
  • Alex, born in the year of the false spring
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 16th AlekoTheGreek
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 03:40:13 pm »
+!

AeroNinja

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 03:41:08 pm »
I always loved melee. Only shooting would make me cri.

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 07:43:20 pm »
This more or less supports the point I made in the 'When is BCoF coming out' thread. People want their individual skill to go some way towards deciding a game, otherwise they're just fodder whose fate is decided by a random number generator and are pretty much by definition not 'competing' in the 'game'. They're just partaking in very disengaged roleplaying. Not very fun when the novelty wears off. The only thing keeping people playing such a game is the skill-based melee. I can see BCoF having a load of empty servers a month after release if the melee does not live up to Warband's standard.
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 12:57:29 am »
Personally I agree with most of the posters/voters here so far.

As much as the linebattle experience as a whole is awesome, I feel like without the melee element events would be nowhere near as fun as they are.

Hell, the most fun part of NW imho is the melee system which offers an extremely rewarding learning curve and benefits those individuals and regiments who take the time to train in it.

Without this key melee element, with linebattles being decided basically entirely by shooting and melee an "afterthought" as some have suggested, I fear it would just be left click simulator 2k14. Sure some things could be added to make shooting need a bit more skill/have a learning curve of its own to some extent, but without the incentive to train with such a comprehensive melee system I just don't feel the game would be nearly as engaging as it is.
Why am I still here

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:03:39 pm »
While I agree that events without any melee at all would be missing a key part of what makes NW fun, you do also have to consider that the shooting system presented for BCoF is already more complex than it is at the moment for NW and may well be more skill based than random. Also I doubt that melee will disappear completely since eve with more accurate weapons the reload time is still significant and a big enough and well timed charge could still hit home.

What I don't want to see is BCoF be driven by the part of NW's community who think that melee is the only part of the game and that people who try and snipe/ prefer to avoid melee are just bad at the game. Melee is only 1 part of the game.

Offline Clikenforce

• Captain
  • Roux et supporter de Lens noraj.
    • View Profile
    • 23e Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »
While I agree that events without any melee at all would be missing a key part of what makes NW fun, you do also have to consider that the shooting system presented for BCoF is already more complex than it is at the moment for NW and may well be more skill based than random. Also I doubt that melee will disappear completely since eve with more accurate weapons the reload time is still significant and a big enough and well timed charge could still hit home.

What I don't want to see is BCoF be driven by the part of NW's community who think that melee is the only part of the game and that people who try and snipe/ prefer to avoid melee are just bad at the game. Melee is only 1 part of the game.

If someone wants to only melee in BCoF and thinks he can win, he's obviously a twat. Accuracy should and probably will be amped up, since rifles are getting more and more accurate. And to those who think today that melee is what makes the regiment, I fully disagree. Shooting requires a fair bit of patience and concentration, especially whilst being in a fire exchange with another line. It's part of the game and I think it's what makes it so brilliant: even a rookie can bring down the best regiment with one clic of the mouse.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 06:55:11 pm »

If someone wants to only melee in BCoF and thinks he can win, he's obviously a twat. Accuracy should and probably will be amped up, since rifles are getting more and more accurate. And to those who think today that melee is what makes the regiment, I fully disagree. Shooting requires a fair bit of patience and concentration, especially whilst being in a fire exchange with another line. It's part of the game and I think it's what makes it so brilliant: even a rookie can bring down the best regiment with one clic of the mouse.

And some help from the random number generator... Shooting in Warband sux
<3

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 08:24:23 pm »
It's part of the game and I think it's what makes it so brilliant: even a rookie can bring down the best regiment with one clic of the mouse.

Thus creating a situation where all incentive to play and "get good" at the game is removed because one noob with a gun can overcome all the time and effort youve put into it with a click of the mouse.

This is essentially my worst case scenario for BCOF; voiding the awesome, rewarding learning curve and removing all semblance/benefits of skilled gameplay.
Why am I still here

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 09:24:31 pm »
It's part of the game and I think it's what makes it so brilliant: even a rookie can bring down the best regiment with one clic of the mouse.

Thus creating a situation where all incentive to play and "get good" at the game is removed because one noob with a gun can overcome all the time and effort youve put into it with a click of the mouse.

This is essentially my worst case scenario for BCOF; voiding the awesome, rewarding learning curve and removing all semblance/benefits of skilled gameplay.
His name is Clickenforce. Pro deduction made right there.
<3