Author Topic: What's your next buy?  (Read 106155 times)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
What's your next buy?
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:21:18 pm »
Part of being a reenactor is having to buy and collect historical weapons, uniforms, equipment, and personal items. You can say it's a never ending process of buying items for your "kit" and then researching and wanting to do another impression which requires different items.

There's a few people in the hobby I know personally who have HUGE collections and more impressions than you can shake a stick at.

Be sure to post links to whatever it is you want to buy if it's on the web and post pictures of your items when they come in!

To start off, a good blanket buy for me right now are some German lowboots. Simple, and I can wear them for both WWI and WWII. However, the price is outside of my range for right now so I'm looking into getting some other low cost items.
http://www.mantheline.com/proddetail.php?prod=G360

M1907 issue shirt was used up until the middle of WWII, replaced with a collared gray shirt with or without chest pockets.
http://www.hessenantique.com/Model_1907_Shirt_p/1113201.htm

Then I would also want a collar bind for my early war tunic. This made it so the wool wouldn't rub and irritate your neck. Men often used small scarves as replacements.
http://www.hessenantique.com/German_Collar_Binds_p/hack001.htm

I figured everyone would have their own wishlist hidden away until money was there to spend.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:32:28 am by Vincenzo »
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: What's your next buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:21:06 pm »
A Side brass eagle for my hardee for an artillery impression

Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:31 pm »
Well!

I just ordered some 200 buttons, that's around 210 euro's in total.

- I ordered a sabre-belt made, 120 euro
- Sabretache, 100 euro
- Some new good shoes, 100 euro
- Giberne, cavarly style, 140 euro
- Shako and additional items, around 200 euro

And of course my dolman and pelisse will have to be made, which my mother can do (Isn't she the greatest. She will also teach me some basic stitching, which I atm completely fail at. And yes, it's pretty historical accurate. Maybe not the way it's made, but the end result is). That will cost me fabric too, the light blue kind, as well as a whole lot of braid. I don't even dare guess the price  :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:29:06 pm by Duuring »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:20:04 am »
what hussar impression do you do?
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:57:03 am »
Regiment 'Huzaren van Boreel' Nr. 6, Waterloo campaign.

Though, it should be said we do have pelisses while those were presumably not present in the campaign (It being summer). More accurate is to say we portray the regiment in the 1814 uniform, of which the campaign dress was worn in the Waterloo campaign.

The group had some uniformal changes just before I joined. The Shako will be replaced by a new, Austrian, model, as well as the replacing of the 'german style' (actually hungarian) forage caps by the French Bonnet de police.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:02:41 am by Duuring »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 02:07:12 am »
Currently have to buy some German Assault pioneer kit

a new M43 field cap, SS eagle on side

a belgic shako

a new 1790's knapsack

New Work/dress shirt with frill for Napoleonic

actually got a list :)  well who doesn't   xD
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:08:46 am by zac »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:08:27 am »
I'm going to be working on my own Pionier kit after I get most of the way through my early and late war impressions.

What time period and branch are you going to do it for? Any theatre or operation in mind?
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:32:41 am »
Hmm, I just ordered a Columbus Depot Jacket today for $220. I'm falling in 14th Louisiana, a progressive unit this August.

Yesterday, I also got Richmond Type 2 Depot and trouser from Wambaugh as a gift.

So my next buy is going to be small stuffs like

Farmer Beehive hat from dirty billy's - $120

Forage Cap "McDowell" from Sekela - $95 

Shelter Half from Wambaugh - $100

and A Coverlet (blanket style) for my reb impression - $150

Its just about small details afterward. Nothing big. Perhap I would look into Kibler Knapsack for my confederate but my doublebag Knapsack is acceptable. (Im a Blanket Roll Guy anyway)

Maybe i should start saving up after this for a Enfield but I have to get a State Gun Owner ID but i wont be staying in this state very much soon. I would have to check Maryland or Virginia's law.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:39:17 am »
I'm going to be working on my own Pionier kit after I get most of the way through my early and late war impressions.

What time period and branch are you going to do it for? Any theatre or operation in mind?

Going ahead with the Waffen SS British Free corps late 1944 early 1945 impression, as they were trained as assault pioneers,(even though various photos show them to be mixed, some show standard white piping and some show black,and theres even reference to an officer in a panzer wrap tunic with BFC insignia) when they were stationed in Dresden, they apparently got their pioneer gear from the famous 11SS Nordland Panzer Gren Dvn,remember our FB discussion :) , when they were attached to their recon company. This was on the Oder Front/Stettin (around March to May 1945. But all accounts, including the ones taken by the Soviets when the encountered a member of the BFC in Berlin, say that the unit was fully issued with the Stg-44, which is uncommon for Pioneers, but anyway....will talk more when not at school. xD

btw this is a 1944 pic of the uniform,note they weren't issued weapons till late 1944,due to understandable reasons,also note the "british" style way hes wearing the shirt,the rolled in trousers etc,they also kept British drill
Spoiler
[close]

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:48:54 am by zac »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:55 am »
Well researched!

If by British, you mean with an open tunic - this is how it was worn when wearing a tie - which at least I can tell the man on the middle left is wearing. The other may be wearing a sweater in which I've also seen this style of dress.

Interesting they're wearing their trousers tucked into their socks even though you can very easily tell these men were far from the front and may as well be wearing their uniform like the man on the right... which is more common for staff soldiers wearing low boots w/o gaiters.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 12:05:26 pm »
Did the freikorps actually see battle?

Not counting Berlin, because they trew everything in at that point.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 01:35:27 pm »
they where under arty bombartment on the oder,,and records exist from the Handschar Dvn that they knocked out a couple of russian tanks there,,they arent well recorded, most where cowards,just trying to get out of POW camps,,but yes in berlin everything was there,or was it hehehehe

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 01:43:33 pm »
Didn't most of them claim to have joined to sabotage the Germans from within? I wondered how many actually did and how many were just cowards.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 01:48:45 pm »
Ye,many of them where quick to pretend that they where "spying"  , they where like many of the late war Waffen SS formation,,scraping the barrel, 50/50
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:54:15 pm by zac »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »
She will also teach me some basic stitching, which I atm completely fail at.

It's not that hard: You just find the same colour thread, and cricle around the hole. Done.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.