Author Topic: Napoleonic Total War 3  (Read 30595 times)

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Napoleonic Total War 3
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2012, 11:05:40 pm »
Personally I think it seems like good changes all for it, except for 1 thing. The rank firing.
Making only 2 ranks being able to fire just means that the battlefield will consists of over-stretched lines, making it hard to push properly on certain points in the enemy line.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »
I honestly dreaded playing this mod. It's histroically correct, however units move retardedly slow. A charge will route almost any unit because a melee instantly gives "Attacked in Rear" no matter where they were attacked, units only have like 60 range, 10 accuracy and shit reload... It's just a very awkward mod. It takes patience to play. It's also a very tedious game. I'd rather play that stupid DMUC than NTW3.

There's my insight. :D

Offline Craig

• Captain
  • Help help I'm being reported!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Craig
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 11:49:30 pm »
Running your men all around the map is stupid and not possible physically (irl) A charge wont actually route a unit, if you disable fire at will and fire a volley just before they engage, you will find that 9/10 the morale of the attackers decreases quite a lot, It does take patience to play but imo its better than vanilla NTW, and i haven't played darthmod but i bet it's better than that too.
WILLIEM WALLACE KILLED FEFTY MEN

~~ No one gives a fuck about what you admin~~

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 10:43:30 am »
Personally I think it seems like good changes all for it, except for 1 thing. The rank firing.
Making only 2 ranks being able to fire just means that the battlefield will consists of over-stretched lines, making it hard to push properly on certain points in the enemy line.

I agree to an extent, it should be a 'reasonable' number of ranks that can fire, which for me is 3 ranks, it gives enough options for people to think about, without making the game (more) of an optimisation problem that it is. The thin one man line of vanilla is silly, but the bricks of austria&russia are as silly. It shouldn't just be a case of finding THE most cost efficient infantry in shooting, matching the enemy frontage and shooting straight ahead, that's not gameplay it's maths.

I honestly dreaded playing this mod. It's histroically correct, however units move retardedly slow. A charge will route almost any unit because a melee instantly gives "Attacked in Rear" no matter where they were attacked, units only have like 60 range, 10 accuracy and shit reload... It's just a very awkward mod. It takes patience to play. It's also a very tedious game. I'd rather play that stupid DMUC than NTW3.

There's my insight. :D
NTW3 may be slow but it's alot more rewarding. Also, I think your under estimate the difficulty of pulling off a successful charge.

Offline englishdevil

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • 92nd Gordon Highlanders
  • Nick: 92nd_Cpt_George_Gordon
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 12:30:59 pm »
When they charge use cav in in their rear. Just ask any 92nd who has played me how I make people hate cav.  :D

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2012, 02:20:24 am »
The cavalry-infantry parity is one of the things that makes NTW3 so vastly superior to vanilla.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »
The cavalry-infantry parity is one of the things that makes NTW3 so vastly superior to vanilla.

Please, do explain.  :)

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:21 am »
That it's extremely important to play good with both things.

A cav unit in the rear can force the infantry into square. The infantry can then either shoot down the square or charge it and break it with your infantry and afterwards charge in and route with cav. So a good player that can combine it will have good chances against people with for example mass-infantry.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 01:40:25 am »
What Hans said. The cavalry-infantry power parity is vastly changed in a way where you can and need to use both in combination to efficiently bring about the destruction of your oponents, rather than cav being a fairly powerless sidekick in vanilla.

Offline Craig

• Captain
  • Help help I'm being reported!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Craig
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2012, 01:43:18 am »
Using cav and infantry together is a really good tactic. Once you get your cavalry in behind the line infantry you can win relatively quickly by harassing the infantry and making them form squares, it's happened to me many a time.

Also concentrating your melee power on one flank works well sometimes too. I've sent 2 units of grenadiers in to a flank with cavalry and absolutely destroyed people's flanks before, concentrating so much force into one flank makes the enemy begin to route quite quickly, and then like i said when you've got the cavalry behind the infantry you can just harass them into squares and repeat.
WILLIEM WALLACE KILLED FEFTY MEN

~~ No one gives a fuck about what you admin~~

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 10:24:28 am »
How dare this drop to page 3 :O

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18:34 pm »
a 4v4 with the Lordz is an experience all should have atleast once.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 01:49:37 am »
a 4v4 with the Lordz is an experience all should have atleast once.
did a 3v3 waterloo with them once. Best ntw memory

Offline Completenoob

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 11:25:45 am »
Since there's own thread for this mod I might as well drop few cents.

Running your men all around the map is stupid and not possible physically (irl) A charge wont actually route a unit, if you disable fire at will and fire a volley just before they engage, you will find that 9/10 the morale of the attackers decreases quite a lot, It does take patience to play but imo its better than vanilla NTW, and i haven't played darthmod but i bet it's better than that too.

The "Fire volley before they charge" somehow sums up everything I ended up disliking about NTW3 ever since V1, as the mod suddenly had sudden change from primarily gunnery engagements (which has been the norm already by late 17th\early 18th century, like it or not) to melee-crazy fest where you have to micromanage volleys like every battle was fought like some formulaic contest where people inched close and fired close range volleys to win the day instantly, or if not watch the bayonet charge just crumble the line, because shooting at range is pointless.

Why that's such a bad thing? Well, one could go as far as say musket accuracy is what it is, but ignoring units in open formation, you are not aiming at an individual, but mass that's moving closer or staying still. It's a side of a barn vs side of a barn scenario where in realistic context in good weather you have easily several thousand balls shot per minute per each regiment. Poor visibility after the first volleys is one thing, but it works both ways, and it's not hard to take a guess what was the general direction you were aiming at. You don't have see the white of the enemy's eyes to notice if there's say all companies of the regiment mostly in a line at 200 to 250 yards away and take your shot, because they won't be in your face anytime soon and the balls are still more than capable to actually wound, let alone possibly kill someone. Hitting a side of barn even with a matchlock at 200 yards is nowhere near impossible, and I can attest that from experience. Sure you might want to wait until the enemy is close enough to guarantee better kills, but what are the odds they would would not fire back at any point, because given the earlier point of maximising firepower it's guaranteed to take casualties even at distance where you have no chance of hitting individual soldier by regular musket - as after all, you are still not trying to play Sniper General of the Guard?

No, this does not mean I am claiming melee or close range volleys never happened, but compared to plain good old shooting they often had bit more unusual or specific circumstances involved than just "let's creep at the flank or walk close enough without firing any shots back at all." However I still say ever since NTW3 V2 and the shift, despite all the well done research for authenticity and all the necessary scaling done, it somehow managed to take a very weird turn from moderately realistic to something that actively discourages shooting. It's like having WW2 game where the primary combat focus is in melee, and while it definitely happened it was extraordinarily rare for the most part.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 11:17:57 am »
If anyone ever wants to do a historical battle then add Davout or williamainge to steam.